Hey Sal, any chance of a Vanax SC mule??

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Xplorer

Re: Hey Sal, any chance of a Vanax SC mule??

Post by Xplorer »

The folks at Uddeholm just got back to me about my inquiry regarding Vanax toughness vs. Elmax toughness. I'm excited to learn their testing so far shows Vanax has 25% greater impact strength over Elmax!! The reason is mostly the smaller carbide structure created by the nitrogen rich alloy.
In testing I started to suspect this steel was unusually tough. Uddeholm has confirmed my suspicion. I hope we get to hear about Spyderco's test results too.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

sal wrote:We're thinking about it. It's quite expensive, a lot more than Maximet. We'll be doing more tests soon, CATRA, etc.

sal
That's great. I think Maxamet has shown that enthusiasts are more than willing to pay up for what's seen as the pinnacle of edge performance.
As I recall the Maxamet Mule sold out very quickly.
sal

Post by sal »

I believe we still have Maxamet Mule Teams in inventory, along with 3 or 4 others.

sal
Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

Mule Team 24 Maxamet is not showing in stock. I'd buy one if I could!

G27
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Glock27 wrote:Mule Team 24 Maxamet is not showing in stock. I'd buy one if I could!

G27
They've been out of stock (according to the website) for a long time .
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

sal wrote:I believe we still have Maxamet Mule Teams in inventory, along with 3 or 4 others.

sal
It does seem like the appetite for Mules in general has decreased. But the Maxamet Mule hasn't been shown as available on the website for months.
If a steel is scarce, exotic and a peak performer, the steel aficionados come out in droves.
Frankly I've always been amazed and appreciative that the Mule Team Project has gone on for so long. Just another example of what sets Spyderco apart.
MGN

Post by MGN »

sal wrote:I believe we still have Maxamet Mule Teams in inventory, along with 3 or 4 others.

sal
Morning Sal...been reading this string....how do I get my hands on some of the mules mentioned in your statement...especially Maxamet?

Many thanks for all you do for us.
Marc

- 106 and counting. :)

Today one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to govern - and both commonly succeed, and both are right. :eek:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.(Edmund Burke)

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. (Voltaire)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

On the Website, under Products - Exclusives. Scroll down. Or type Mule into the search box.
Nate

Post by Nate »

By my count, 6 are available right now. B70P, RWL34, 20CV, LC200N, Micro-Melt A11, Micro-Melt PD1:

https://www.spyderco.com/?s=Mule+team
:spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I just wanted to bump this, to keep interest alive for a Vanax mule.

And does the discussion about Mules remaining mean that Spyderco will let people buy more than 2? I know that it's easy enough to get more than 2by various means, but I've never picked up more than 2 of any Mule because I thought that the "spirit" of the Mule Team project was to let them get out to as many people as possible.

But if word from on high is that it's ok, I might grab some more. :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I am interested in this mule as well! Sounds promising!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
attila

Post by attila »

Bloke wrote:
bluntcut wrote:Thanks Lance!

Bloke - I appreciate your thoughtfulness about being careful with the eval knife. For the first couple weeks, please use it as how you are using your current knives now. After that, if you don't mind, please proceed with with neglect & hard use it. Do messing-up some, I/we wouldn't know what its capability without doing so. In event of total loss (drop in ocean, ran over by train, etc..), it is on me, so no worry.
Good to know Lance. ;)

Too easy Luong! :cool:

I'll definitely give it a shake. Inevitably I'll also sharpen it and I'll decrease the primary bevel angle to see how edge stability pans out too.

I'm actually very exited and looking forward to reporting what I find and I'll gladly try any reasonable suggestion anyone has. :)
Hi Bloke,

I was curious if you'd gotten around to testing the Vanax from Luong. Have you formed any opinions about it?

Thanks,
Attila
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

attila wrote:
Bloke wrote:
bluntcut wrote:Thanks Lance!

Bloke - I appreciate your thoughtfulness about being careful with the eval knife. For the first couple weeks, please use it as how you are using your current knives now. After that, if you don't mind, please proceed with with neglect & hard use it. Do messing-up some, I/we wouldn't know what its capability without doing so. In event of total loss (drop in ocean, ran over by train, etc..), it is on me, so no worry.
Good to know Lance. ;)

Too easy Luong! :cool:

I'll definitely give it a shake. Inevitably I'll also sharpen it and I'll decrease the primary bevel angle to see how edge stability pans out too.

I'm actually very exited and looking forward to reporting what I find and I'll gladly try any reasonable suggestion anyone has. :)
Hi Bloke,

I was curious if you'd gotten around to testing the Vanax from Luong. Have you formed any opinions about it?

Thanks,
Attila
I’m curious to start hearing about this too!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
attila wrote:Hi Bloke,

Thanks,
Attila
I’m curious to start hearing about this too!
Hi Fellas,

Apologies for my silence. I've had the knife since the middle of last week. It's a great design and very nicely done. Luong can certainly make and sharpen a knife. It appears to be freehanded and a section near the heel whittled free hanging hair.

Unfortunately I've been without my vehicle since Saturday which has added an hour plus travel time to my day and gets me home late afternoon.

I'd planned to start playing with the knife last weekend but that didn't eventuate unfortunately with my vehicle leaving me stranded. I hope to give it a run along side either my Sprig or maybe Maxamet Mule after I set a 30deg bevel on it and either Sprig or Mule to have a control of sorts. I'll use the blade which is closest to width behind the edge after they're sharpened.

I have however kept the blade wrapped in tissue paper wet with salt water since theday it arrived after I cleaned it with brake cleaner and isopropyl alcohol and it doesn't show even the slightest sign of discolouration let alone rust.

All things being equal I'll have my vehicle on the road by this Saturday and I'll go from there and hopefully post some pictures of stuff cut on Sunday. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I thought all you Aussies just jump into a kangaroo pouch and ride around that way? A broken down car should not be a problem.

HaHaHa!

Seriously, I am really wanting to hear what you think of that steel. Keep us informed.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

oops.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:I thought all you Aussies just jump into a kangaroo pouch and ride around that way? A broken down car should not be a problem.

HaHaHa!

Seriously, I am really wanting to hear what you think of that steel. Keep us informed.
AH, hahaha!

I'll certainly keep you posted Doc. :)
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Bloke wrote:...I hope to give it a run along side either my Sprig or maybe Maxamet Mule after I set a 30deg bevel on it and either Sprig or Mule to have a control of sorts. I'll use the blade which is closest to width behind the edge after they're sharpened...
Hi Bloke,

I'm looking forward to hearing about your test results. :)

Do you (by chance) have any knives in Elmax, S35VN or even M390/CTS204P/20CV? The reason I ask is for comparisons in your testing. There's nothing wrong with comparing to S90V and Maxamet if that's your best option. It's just that Vanax isn't the kind of steel that will hold an edge like S90V or Maxamet (not much does :D ). Vanax edge holding is closer to Elmax/S35VN. Vanax toughness is also much higher than S90V or Maxamet (& Elmax & S35VN for that matter). Vanax probably can't hold an edge as long as M390 either but it's still going to be closer to Vanax than S90V. For corrosion resistance comparison, I think LC200N is the only steel to realistically compare it to (both based on results and the fact that they are both Nitrogen steels), but your results will be impressive with or without a direct LC200N comparison. No big deal if you don't have steels I'm suggesting, I just thought I'd ask in case you have those options easily available to you.

Best regards,

Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Xplorer wrote:
Bloke wrote:...I hope to give it a run along side either my Sprig or maybe Maxamet Mule after I set a 30deg bevel on it and either Sprig or Mule to have a control of sorts. I'll use the blade which is closest to width behind the edge after they're sharpened...
Hi Bloke,

I'm looking forward to hearing about your test results. :)

Do you (by chance) have any knives in Elmax, S35VN or even M390/CTS204P/20CV? The reason I ask is for comparisons in your testing. There's nothing wrong with comparing to S90V and Maxamet if that's your best option. It's just that Vanax isn't the kind of steel that will hold an edge like S90V or Maxamet (not much does :D ). Vanax edge holding is closer to Elmax/S35VN. Vanax toughness is also much higher than S90V or Maxamet (& Elmax & S35VN for that matter). Vanax probably can't hold an edge as long as M390 either but it's still going to be closer to Vanax than S90V. For corrosion resistance comparison, I think LC200N is the only steel to realistically compare it to (both based on results and the fact that they are both Nitrogen steels), but your results will be impressive with or without a direct LC200N comparison. No big deal if you don't have steels I'm suggesting, I just thought I'd ask in case you have those options easily available to you.

Best regards,

Chad
Thanks for the heads ups Chad.

The closest I have are 204p and S30V Militaries.

Luong's knife if fairly thin behind the edge that's why I was thinking Sprig and Mule. I haven't measured it because my micrometer and vernier are at Mum and Dad's place with my lathe but I'm mobile again and I'll start playing with it over the weekend.

I'm certainly open to suggestion but I'm thinking now I may just do a stand alone series of cutting tests with it.

As far as corrosion resistance goes if it hasn't even discoloured sitting in saltwater in 30degC+ heat in a week and a half I'd say it's rust resistant. :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

We made a mule for testing which I am doing now in the kitchen and outside. We also made some CATRA mules which we'll also be testing this afternoon.

sal