CPM D2 Paramilitary

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryno

CPM D2 Paramilitary

Post by Ryno »

I don't know how I didn't know this before, but there was a CPM D2 Paramilitary 1. So the hunt begins...

My question for anyone who has or had one: is it surprisingly good or bad? I ask because if I can find one and end up forking over big $$$ for it, will I be disappointed? Also, I've never had a PM1. Will I be disappointed compared to the PM2?
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
xceptnl

Re: CPM D2 Paramilitary

Post by xceptnl »

Ryno wrote:I don't know how I didn't know this before, but there was a CPM D2 Paramilitary 1. So the hunt begins...

My question for anyone who has or had one: is it surprisingly good or bad? I ask because if I can find one and end up forking over big $$$ for it, will I be disappointed? Also, I've never had a PM1. Will I be disappointed compared to the PM2?
In my opinion, the first gen Paramilitary was superior to the latest versions, that being said the handle was slightly crowded so mine has been through some minor modifications. The CPM-D2 version is the only one I have owned and it is still my benchmark for comparison against all Paramilitary 2 models. I don't think you will be disappointed. Spyderco also made a Millie in this steel in case you needed more to search for. :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

xceptnl wrote:
Ryno wrote:I don't know how I didn't know this before, but there was a CPM D2 Paramilitary 1. So the hunt begins...

In my opinion, the first gen Paramilitary was superior to the latest versions, that being said the handle was slightly crowded so mine has been through some minor modifications. The CPM-D2 version is the only one I have owned and it is still my benchmark for comparison against all Paramilitary 2 models. I don't think you will be disappointed. Spyderco also made a Millie in this steel in case you needed more to search for. :D
Thanks for the input. I don't suppose I would be disappointed but I have with other hyped steels. What do you think makes the 1 better than the 2?

I've never really wanted a military because of the liner lock, but I would go for one in this steel I think if that was my only option of trying it out.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
brj

Post by brj »

Have been using mine on and off for more than 6 years now & liked D2 quite a lot for EDC (easy to touch up and not as prone to rusting as I have initially feared), I'd say go for it if you stumble across one reasonably priced. You'll find the handle a bit cramped if you are used to the Para 2, but otherwise highly recommended.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

My D2 Para almost equals the Sage 3 in smoothness. That's saying a lot. :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

I completely agree. My D2 paramilitary is very smooth and is one of my smoothest Spydies.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

The handle on the PM1 is more crowded than the PM2. Steel I really like CPM D2 in my Military. I really used that knife a lot and it takes a great edge, very crisp and burr free. Mine Rockwell tested at 62 RC.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Thank you for posting the comparison pics with the 2. I don't generally grip the knife completely so crowding probably won't be an issue. If it is, I can probably just do some filing or grinding to make it more comfortable.

I have 2 jade PM2s and they are both super smooth too; smoother than my other PM2s. Perhaps sprints and exclusives get the velvet touch, but the bronze washers are great no matter what.
Ryan

Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Use to own a fully serrated ParaMilitary, but the handle ergonomics were all wrong for me so I sold it. I love D2 & CPM-D2 steel though and would like to see it brought back in the ParaMilitary 2.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Halfneck wrote:Use to own a fully serrated ParaMilitary, but the handle ergonomics were all wrong for me so I sold it. I love D2 & CPM-D2 steel though and would like to see it brought back in the ParaMilitary 2.
I wonder what about CPM D2 makes it seem like such a niche steel. I would think it would be a great mainstream steel and it doesn't seem too expensive when I've searched it out in bar stock.
Ryan

phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Ryan - The D2 Para1 has always been one of my favorites. I agree with TDog and Bear - it is one of the smoothest of all my Spydies.

TedP

bearfacedkiller

Very cool Ted!
-Darby
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

phillipsted wrote:Ryan - The D2 Para1 has always been one of my favorites. I agree with TDog and Bear - it is one of the smoothest of all my Spydies.
Wow...I'm jealous.
Ryan

ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I don't have any experience with D2, but I owned an original Paramilitary in S30v and did not care for it. The handle was way too crowded and it actually hurt when doing any kind of hard cutting. I sold mine. PM2 is better in every way in my opinion.
Eee

Post by Eee »

I have both the D2 PM1 and an earlier SE PM1 in s30v. The fit and finish on the D2 model is streets ahead, beautifully smooth. I much prefer the PM1 to the PM2, I find the PM2 feels too skinny about the ‘waist’ (where your second finger goes if you use the choil). The steel takes a hazy light grey patina. It’s a good knife. I narrowly prefer the Gayle Bradley though.

https://edgematters.uk/wcf/attachment/3 ... -0173-jpg/
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Bearfacedkiller, nice photo, Honda V4?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I love the steel but I prefer the Para 2 in every way to the 1. More cutting edge, I can grip the knife with four fingers without using the index choil, and a four way clip.

Even after getting a tip up mod and sanding the handle to make it roomier, my Para 1 didn't work as well for me as my Para 2.
:unicorn
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Ryno wrote:
xceptnl wrote:

Thanks for the input. I don't suppose I would be disappointed but I have with other hyped steels. What do you think makes the 1 better than the 2?

I've never really wanted a military because of the liner lock, but I would go for one in this steel I think if that was my only option of trying it out.
For me, the Para 1 was superior to the Para 2 (in a few select ways for my tastes). I like the handle better on the first gen, not as skinny in the middle, though the pinky area had to me cleaned up on mine. I like this handle shape much better.

The pocket clip of the first gen is probably my favorite feature because my muscle memory is already programmed for carrying the Millie so the feel as I'm grasping and drawing the first gen is the same as with my Military models. This along with the terrific steel in this sprint run and the very very fine edge it takes helps make the Para 1 a winner over its younger brother.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Vivi wrote:I love the steel but I prefer the Para 2 in every way to the 1. More cutting edge, I can grip the knife with four fingers without using the index choil, and a four way clip.

Even after getting a tip up mod and sanding the handle to make it roomier, my Para 1 didn't work as well for me as my Para 2.
I wonder if the D2 blade can be transplanted into PM2 scales?
Ryan

Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I've been watching youtube videos about the PM1 vs PM2. The improvements from 1 to 2 seem good. The one improvement that seems really big is the 4-way clip design.

I think when I get a PM1, I'll drill and tap it for tip up. Has anyone ever done this?
Ryan