Another round of CPMD2 sprints?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Re: Another round of CPMD2 sprints?

Post by xceptnl »

As Nate said, we do have a modern equivalent in PSF-27 and we haven't seen a folder in that steel yet. Hopefully one of our trusted dealers will fund a Millie exclusive and we can get some modern D2.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You schooled me on XHP history some years back. It's practically a stainless powdered D2 right?
Yes, exactly. Spyderco seems to have a pretty darn good heat treat for it IMO. I don't feel like I need a stainless steel and wouldn't consider it better because it is stainless but looking at it just on performance alone it's a tough steel not to like. At least the way it is done by this company. I don't have any experience with Cold Steel's version yet.

On the other hand I can be just as happy with plain D2 or CPM D2 as I am with XHP. There is a lot to like with these steels.

Joe
brj

Post by brj »

Have both the Para1 and Millie in D2 but I wouldn't say no to another iteration.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Mastiff wrote:I wouldn't mind. I like D2. I remember trying CPM D2 but no longer have any. I recall it being good, but not D2 like in the coarse grain that was so good on cutting meat, rope and other stuff that do well when using lots of carbides to eat through. I only had 2 different sample knives in CPM D2 though. You can really change this type steel with different heat treats so maybe I just need more experience with it. If I wasn't going to push the steel and run it fairly hard I probably wouldn't want the powder steel version of D2. It would almost be like wasting it's capabilities.

Joe
Joe, you sound like you speak favorably of ingot D2 due to it's extremely large grain size. It seems as though most complain about it and claim it reduces attainable sharpness and causes more carbide tear out. I have not really had any issues with ingot D2 myself. I have a smaller fixed blade in D2 (BK24) and even a custom puukko with a zero scandi grind at about 8 degrees per side and both seem to work great. I have used the puukko a lot. I think most people would say that that Puukko is a bad platform for D2 but it has continually blown me away. I have even hit some metal and rocks with it with only minor damage. I have carved LOTS of seasoned hardwood with it.

I have a Kershaw Composite Leek which has a CPMD2 edge as well as a Paramilitary1 in CPMD2. The Leek has seen A LOT of carry and use and it is a good steel in my opinion. It seems to balance attributes well. It sharpens easily enough, holds a decent edge, is stainless enough and is durable enough.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Joe, you sound like you speak favorably of ingot D2 due to it's extremely large grain size
Yeah, and it's strange coming from me. I usually like the O-1/52100/W2 class on up to Cruwear and really don't want too much chrome or overall carbides in my steels. I've been trying to decide how much is nostalgia ( the first knife I made was D2, pretty rare back then) and how much is performance. The facts are though that it does cut and slice well on certain materials because of the carbides. I have no time for 440C though and it's another steel full of carbides but it doesn't do above rc 60 like D2 will. So I tell myself when I look at my obvious inconsistencies. :)

Joe
levs18

Post by levs18 »

I would love another round of them. A tuff or lum tanto in D2, or one of the variants mentioned above, would be amazing.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

PayneTrain wrote:Not to mention Cruwear, touted as an improved D2, and in my experience beats D2 in everything. Then we have XHP, the "stainless D2", which is also fantastic. With these supposedly upgraded versions, do I want to go back to regular old D2? I don't see why I would.
Same here I’m afraid...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would like to see a couple of the mainstream knives done in CPM-10V like the Military, Para 2, Manix 2 Lightweight, Manix 2 Lockback before I would like to see some stuff done in CPM-D2, but maybe one run in the middle wouldn't hurt anything.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am ambivalent about it. I like D2 and its ilk, but with XHP on the scene, I wonder why I would choose D2? My favorite custom skinner is D2 and I have zero complaints and it is high hollow ground pretty thin. I have never had issues that I have heard others complain about with the steel. It is not chippy, and it holds an edge really well. It can be a bear to sharpen sometimes (not S110V level though). I seem to think XHP is a bit easier to sharpen and holds a very sharp edge a tad longer for the kind of things I use a knife for. I cannot say anything about Cruwear, but it looks like a good improvement over D2. I can talk about other non-stainless steels like 1095V, 50100B, 3V, O-1, K390, and others to make a comparison. D2 is good, but it is not the best of the best, either.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I’d like to see a run of CTS B75P, which I don’t think has been used in a knife yet.
https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/zdata- ... TSB75P.htm

This is relevant to CPM D2 in that for a few decades BG-42 was effectively the stanless counterpart to D2, so it would be neat to see the PM equivalent of both of them side by side.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

As far as the references to PSF27 go I must admit that I am a little bit perplexed in regards to that steel.

I have the Bradley Bowie and it is actually one of my most used fixed blades. It came with an obtuse edge bevel but since reprofiling down to 30 degrees it has certainly impressed me. I have processed meat, carved wood and even batonned it quite a bit. It is good stuff in my experience.

What I don't understand and is what PSF27s benefit really is? If you want a steel with exceptionally large carbides for an aggressive edge then you have ingot D2. If you want a steel with the composition of D2 but with a fine grain structure you have CPM D2. It is my understanding that PSF 27 yields a fine grain structure but not as fine as CPM D2.

So I guess my question is; Is PSF27 actually and improvement on CPM D2 and if so why? It is more modern but is it an improvement? What am I missing?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

tripscheck'em wrote:
bdblue wrote:I like it myself but if given a choice I typically buy "newer" steels. One of my favorite folding knives is D2. My more recent Spyderco purchases have been S90V, S110V, M4 for instance.
Seriously, have you ever been in a situation where D2 just would not cut it, and you have to switch over to Maxamet, like for skinning 3 elks on the side of a mountain every weekend?
Unless you are hitting hard materials while skinning, I bet ZDP would be ideal for lots of skinning. Have you tried that?
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I would love to see the PM2 in either D2 or XHP. Better yet, it would give me a chance to try a Para3 if it were to come in that.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr