I love the Spyderco Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Re: I love the Spyderco Endura

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:01 am
This thread has risen from the dead at least twice.
I'm glad the zombie thread has arisen. I was never really interested in the Endura. I'm curious about serrations, but no serrated Spyderco's really filled a void in my pile of knives. When the K390 SE Endura was announced, it caught my eye. I'm not over the top excited, but the more I read about people who like the Endura, the more likely I'll be the first on the block to get one.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

My combo edge blacked-out Endura 4 is.....it's really something else! I've carried it exclusively for months now and I can't see any reason to stop any time soon.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:06 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Yes, and the Endura deserves this and more... ;)
I've got one next to me right now, in fact.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:52 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I'm glad the zombie thread has arisen. I was never really interested in the Endura. I'm curious about serrations, but no serrated Spyderco's really filled a void in my pile of knives. When the K390 SE Endura was announced, it caught my eye. I'm not over the top excited, but the more I read about people who like the Endura, the more likely I'll be the first on the block to get one.
I really like the Endura. I have to take down that first finger bump thing so it feels better, but after that, I have no issues at all. I do not know why Spyderco does not get rid of those two finger bumps and just make that a gentle hump between them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Actually, if not in my pocket, I pretty much always have one lying around in the kitchen and one by my couch.. :D
I do know that dedicated kitchen knives are even better than an Endura on food prep (naturally), but I still love to use the latter sometimes in that capacity.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:25 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Actually, if not in my pocket, I pretty much always have one lying around in the kitchen and one by my couch.. :D
I do know that dedicated kitchen knives are even better than an Endura on food prep (naturally), but I still love to use the latter sometimes in that capacity.
I know what you mean. It's just the idea of using it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:24 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:52 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I really like the Endura. I have to take down that first finger bump thing so it feels better, but after that, I have no issues at all. I do not know why Spyderco does not get rid of those two finger bumps and just make that a gentle hump between them.

I seem to recall that Sal said something along the lines that the finger bumps and "points" between those prevent "rolling" (?? don´t know if that was the term) of the handle... and I actually DO like the finger grooves, make the knife even more stable in my hand. And yes, if I put my finger on the thumb ramp, the first "point" sits right under my middle finger, but this does not bother me at all....
For me it is a bit like with sharpening choils: If they are NOT there from the factory people who want one can still apply one.
Much like folks who don´t like the "point" on the Endura can file it away pretty easily like you did... (though admittedly, people not really into knives won´t do that or not even think of it)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

The way I hold the Endura 4, that handle bump sits right between my index and middle fingers. Or if I choke up a bit, it’s between my middle and ring fingers. So for me it’s comfortable. I never even knew that bump could be an issue until I started seeing some comments about it on the forum.

Jim
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:25 pm

I do this as well. My wife just shakes her head. Then I point to the endless bins of yarn all over our living room and she clams up... We all have our thing.