I love the Spyderco Endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: I love the Spyderco Endura

Post by bearrowland »

There's something about the Endura. I keep going back to it. It just fits...
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
James Y

Post by James Y »

I got my first Endura in 1998, and have accumulated different variations since then. Along with the Delica, it’s the knife design I own the most of. Over the years, I’ve gone back and forth between the Delica and the Endura as to which one I like more. Lately, it’s been the Endura.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:42 pm
I got my first Endura in 1998, and have accumulated different variations since then. Along with the Delica, it’s the knife design I own the most of. Over the years, I’ve gone back and forth between the Delica and the Endura as to which one I like more. Lately, it’s been the Endura.

Jim
Since I know you also have an Endela: How do you like it sizewise compared to Delica and Endura?

I personally still prefer the (longer) Endura blade length, but handle-wise the Endela is perfect for me. More compact in pocket, but still gives me absolutely all the grip options I use on the Endura.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:23 am
James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Jim
Since I know you also have an Endela: How do you like it sizewise compared to Delica and Endura?

I personally still prefer the (longer) Endura blade length, but handle-wise the Endela is perfect for me. More compact in pocket, but still gives me absolutely all the grip options I use on the Endura. And I definitely like the Endela over the Delica.

Handle-wise, I like them both about the same. The bump on the Endura’s grip has never bothered me like it has some other users. But like you, I seem to prefer the Endela’s grip a little more. And I definitely like the Endela over the Delica. Strange that I’ve gone back and forth between the Delica and Endura, but have a clear preference for the Endela over the Delica, while the Endura runs closer for me.

Jim
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I love the Endura hoping to get my 3rd one today. I agree with the blade stock being a bit thick, could be thinner like the police. I wish the police was endura sized for law reasons
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 am
I love the Endura hoping to get my 3rd one today. I agree with the blade stock being a bit thick, could be thinner like the police. I wish the police was endura sized for law reasons
The Endura and the Police have the same blade stock thickness - 3mm.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:09 am
koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 am
The Endura and the Police have the same blade stock thickness - 3mm.
Maybe I'm thinking of the emerson endura. It seems so thick. Maybe the grind. Police seems to carry better too and had a choil.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

Always liked the Endura, but ended up selling them off in the past while exploring other knife designs. Recently put scales on a friend of mines Endura and remembered why I liked them so much, so now I have ZDP and K390 Enduras that Im carrying nonstop. Really a timeless design thats useful in all the right ways. I think I'll be hanging onto them this go around.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wirelessjunkie wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:59 am
Always liked the Endura, but ended up selling them off in the past while exploring other knife designs. Recently put scales on a friend of mines Endura and remembered why I liked them so much, so now I have ZDP and K390 Enduras that Im carrying nonstop. Really a timeless design thats useful in all the right ways. I think I'll be hanging onto them this go around.

Now add an HAP40 variant (Pakkawood or burnt orange FRN) as long as they can be found! :) - my personal favorite version of the Endura (which is my favorite folder generally btw...)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bully4x4

Post by bully4x4 »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:30 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:That is very cool that you found all those uses for that, Hopsbreath. How was the edge after opening the paint cans? It held up fine for that? Amazing. Its a very durable steel.
I used the tip for prying open the paint cans. Blunted it up a little, but nothing I couldn’t sharpen out. Good stuff that VG10.
If you use the Spyderhole it doesn't mess up the blade.
Jared

Post by Jared »

I love the Endura, and I love the Delica.

I’ll have to admit that when I first got the first Endura I wasn’t wild about it in the beginning. But after some time and some use I really clicked with it and it has become a favorite. That first one was one of the Brown Zome scales models that were an exclusive for a distributor. I got in the habit of bringing it along when my daughter would go outside to play last year. She took to calling it my “outside Spyderco” (she was four at the time, 5 now). To her it’s my most recognizable knife. One of her favorite things to do is to bring me sticks from the yard to shave on while she swings and slides.

Anyway, after a bit of an unsure start, I now have 5 Enduras and plan on more. They are:

1: The Brown Zome scaled PE FFG
2: The Emerson opener model
3: ZDP-189 PE
4: Foliage Green CE
5: Recently released PE K390 model

I’m planning on adding a SE Wharncliffe and one of the Pac Salt 2 models. For our anniversary I’ve got a plan for a his/hers Endura/Delica set for my wife and myself.

Anyway, to say the Endura and its little brother the Delica are fan favorites here at my place would be a complete understatement.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jared wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:56 pm
I love the Endura, and I love the Delica.

I am sure I have replied already in this older thread, but anyway:

For me the Endura 4 is the best folder ever made. Still pretty compact in size and carry, but long enough blade and cutting edge to be really versatile. Reasonable bladestock thickness (3mm). Best, most versatile and safest lock type there is (subjective, I know!). Sturdy clip, NON deep carry (I don´t like deep carry on larger knives at all); FRN for me is the best handle material from a practical point of view. Rather light, despite solid, "linered" build.
And now with the Pac Salt 2 (essentially a linerless Endura 4) it comes in variants for almost any taste:
The brutally strong sabre grind version (this is a real hard use folder, especially with its stroing tip) in PE, CE, SE
Some nice steels (HAP 40, K390, ZDP...)
And in the superlight Pac Salt 2 variant, which also comes in the for me best blade/edge configuration: FFG SE (like the K390 Endura does too)
Only thing missing for me: A VG10 Endura 4 with also ffg SE blade (like the Endela already has)

The Delica also is still perhaps Spydercos best small folder (maybe behind the Chaparral FRN): A lot of grip area, very light (despite having liners even a tad lighter than some linerless FRN "lightweight" models like the Para 3 LW), and at least 2.5mm blade stock (2.00 would be even better), and not the pretty thick 3 or even up to 3.7 of many other small Spydies (one of the very few things I do not fully understand in Spydercos designs : Why give so many small folders such "thick" blade stock? I don´t think many people ever broke the thinner Delica blade, and thin stock is a better foundation for almost any knife EDC task).
And now with the Salt 2s in ffg the Delica platform offers even a bugout-ish light folder.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:26 pm

And now with the Salt 2s in ffg the Delica platform offers even a bugout-ish light folder.
I wish I’d done my homework better on that.... my wife ended up with a Bugout because I didn’t know that Spyderco had a perfectly reasonable alternative in a size/ergo package (Delica) she already loves. I literally saw your post about the LC200N ffg Salt 2 about one week too late.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree. I think that the Endura gets overlooked because of its longevity do much. It's a timeless design and a joy to use. It's also one of the best bargains in knifedom!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

The Endura 4 was the knife that got me started down the rabbit hole. My first was the black frn version. Then I stumbled across CutleryLover's review of the white frn Endura sprint, so I had to get that. Then the g10 sprint, then the ffg line came out. My latest is the Tantalizing teal with s30v blade steel. Keep 'em coming!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This thread has risen from the dead at least twice.

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jared wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:29 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:26 pm

I wish I’d done my homework better on that.... my wife ended up with a Bugout because I didn’t know that Spyderco had a perfectly reasonable alternative in a size/ergo package (Delica) she already loves. I literally saw your post about the LC200N ffg Salt 2 about one week too late.

Well, I´d assume BM Bugouts sell pretty good on the secondary market... :rolleyes:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:01 am
This thread has risen from the dead at least twice.

Yes, and the Endura deserves this and more... ;)
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:25 am
I agree. I think that the Endura gets overlooked because of its longevity do much. It's a timeless design and a joy to use. It's also one of the best bargains in knifedom!

Barry,

I agree 100%!

Jim
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Endura is still my 2nd most carried blade behind the Endela. I love the Endura, but the Endela I feel is a bit more well rounded. I could be happy with either as my only knife if it came down to it! I hope we see more exclusives of both in some steels like Cruwear, 4V, AEB-L, 3V, and CPM-Larrin. Cru-carta is hopefully in the works as well!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red