Thumb or Finger Exercises Needed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tjweeks

Thumb or Finger Exercises Needed

Post by tjweeks »

I just recently received my newest Spyderco. It is the Gayle Bradley 2. I really this this is a knife for greatness but if you ever hope to do a one hand closing on this beast you are going to build up thumb muscles and grow a long and very strong thumb nail. I don't think I have ever owned a knife that was so deliberately hard to snag the lock bar with your thumb nail and shove it out of the way. From what I understand I think Gayle Bradley did that on purpose. He wants this to be a work beast and not a couch flipper. This is hard for me because I am a couch flipping addict. I think my wife likes it though because she is not a fan of couch flipping during tv time. Has anyone discovered a good way to close this knife? It opens great but closing............ I started to send it back to BHQ but the man way down deep in me said no.
Sharp Guy

Re: Thumb or Finger Exercises Needed

Post by Sharp Guy »

Don't send it back. You'll learn how to unlock it and you'll appreciate the knife more than ever. Try pushing down on the lock bar with the pad of your thumb and then move the lock over. I've had no problem unlocking my GB since I learned how to do that.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I sanded down the carbon fiber to be flush with the liner, now it's great.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

The standard joke: use your Chubby.

The real answer, in brevitas: http://www.ironmind.com .

If you want a real answer, let me know. I have coached World Class Level powerlifting athletes who had grip problems. One of them couldn't break (IIRC) the 815lb barrier - every time he got that high, his grip gave out. 8 weeks of working with him, and he pulled the heavyweight world record in New Zealand.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I think it's more about calluses or skin type, than actual strength.
I don't think I own a knife where I have ever used an actual finger nail to disengage a lock...
Going back to Caly.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey there tj and welcome to the forum. I'm not quite sure what you are using your fingernail for? Never heard of that. I would suggest (like sharp guy said) pressing down on the lockbar with the pad of your thumb to push the bar over. I owned a GB1 for awhile and never had any issue with the lock when closing like that.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tjweeks,

Welcome to our forum.

If you keep messin' with these Spyderco's, you apt to develop more than one muscle and learn a few tricks ;)

sal
Ric

Post by Ric »

Please watch Nicks Shabazz review
https://youtu.be/4H-CZrLuGBI

Spyderco is knife #1 and Nick knife reviewer #1 - so a perfect fit.

You need to press down and left do disengage.

Keep using for more days.
If its not for you send it back.

Life's too short for bad wine and knives that do not fit you. Often first impressions are the right ones.
vivi

Post by vivi »

RLDubbya wrote:The standard joke: use your Chubby.

The real answer, in brevitas: http://www.ironmind.com .

If you want a real answer, let me know. I have coached World Class Level powerlifting athletes who had grip problems. One of them couldn't break (IIRC) the 815lb barrier - every time he got that high, his grip gave out. 8 weeks of working with him, and he pulled the heavyweight world record in New Zealand.
I'd be interested in you PMing me some tips. Grip strength has always been my breaking point on deadlifts. Lots of finger and wrist injuries from skateboarding that may factor into that....
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Didn't the GB1 have an even more recessed lock tab? That one was so hard to get at I could only get my thumb nail on the lock tab, my finger was too big to squeeze in there. It can be modified to open it up a bit though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David