prices jumping again?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tripscheck'em

prices jumping again?

Post by tripscheck'em »

https://www.knifecenter.com/listing/las ... g&kcno=123

http://archive.is/GLP0J

Didn't know if only knifecenter is jacking the prices or if Spyderco is jacking the prices again? Just curious.
Nate

Re: prices jumping again?

Post by Nate »

It's been pretty well hashed out already:

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=76662
:spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nate wrote:It's been pretty well hashed out already:

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=76662
Came up on the Facebook page today so it's time to kick the bee hive again.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

I will never buy a new Spyderco again.

Except maybe a Caribbean. And a LC200N Pacific Salt. And a LC200N PM2 if they make it. And a Lc200n Military if they make that.

And maybe a S110V Para3 for myself (I’ve gifted 3). Maybe an interesting sprint run or a new model (a S110V Sliverax would ve interesting).

Other than that (or other interesting Spyderco knives) I won’t buy any more Spyderco knives....

David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Canazes, the Caribbean is a "game changer" and you definitely want that, I think.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Would you ever get one of the new VG10 Endura variations?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Canazes9 wrote:I will never buy a new Spyderco again.

Except maybe a Caribbean. And a LC200N Pacific Salt. And a LC200N PM2 if they make it. And a Lc200n Military if they make that.

And maybe a S110V Para3 for myself (I’ve gifted 3). Maybe an interesting sprint run or a new model (a S110V Sliverax would ve interesting).

Other than that (or other interesting Spyderco knives) I won’t buy any more Spyderco knives....

David
My feelings exactly! ;)

although I might make an exception for a CruWear Native, or a Ti Urban or any mid priced knife in M390 or Elmax or some new awesome design that we haven't seen yet, or a Centofante 4 reissue, or...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
loremipsum

Post by loremipsum »

Guys I need help, it's kinda hilarious.

So I saw the email, then asked KnifeCenter about whether their Pakkawood Delica and Endura will need to increase price as well. They replied that they don't know, and asked me to ask Spyderco.

I already submitted the email through the form and no reply. Anyway knows what should I do? I am not in the States. If there would be a hike I got to buy the knife right now and starve for the coming month.
dolor sit amet
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

I laughed at the email I got. That's like the gas stations sending out emails:

hey guys, get the gas we already bought at this lower price now because when a certain day comes, that gas is going to go up in price. You, our loyal customer is going to get to pay us 5% more just because you like us! That gas you got today is the same gas you will buy next week - no worries, we already bought it at last week's lower price - we just want to pass on a price increase to ya. Thanks!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ross8425 wrote:I laughed at the email I got. That's like the gas stations sending out emails:

hey guys, get the gas we already bought at this lower price now because when a certain day comes, that gas is going to go up in price. You, our loyal customer is going to get to pay us 5% more just because you like us! That gas you got today is the same gas you will buy next week - no worries, we already bought it at last week's lower price - we just want to pass on a price increase to ya. Thanks!
Exactly. It's a scare tactic to stir up a buying frenzy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Roughly four more days...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

loremipsum wrote:Guys I need help, it's kinda hilarious.

So I saw the email, then asked KnifeCenter about whether their Pakkawood Delica and Endura will need to increase price as well. They replied that they don't know, and asked me to ask Spyderco.

I already submitted the email through the form and no reply. Anyway knows what should I do? I am not in the States. If there would be a hike I got to buy the knife right now and starve for the coming month.
The price increase is the result of Spyderco lowering the MAP allowable discount from 40% to 35%, rather than an increase in MSRP, so I'm fairly certain it will apply to those models. So, if saving $12 per knife is worth starving for a month, better buy now.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
loremipsum

Post by loremipsum »

The Deacon wrote:if saving $12 per knife is worth starving for a month, better buy now.
>buy knife
>starve
Totally worth it. :)
dolor sit amet
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

When Benchmade started a MAP policy, I took the opportunity to sell my knives in an advantageous market. This year I thinned my Spyderco herd down to the knives I intend to keep. My rant isn't that I'll never buy a particular brand again, but rather, why did I spend so much on knives? Now I focus on older used knives and some European brands that cost a fraction of what I used to spend. I don't have the latest steel or lock and sometimes I have to use both hands to open them, but I still get a quality product and with some old-school style that I enjoy. I may buy another Spyderco one day, but not real soon.
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

The Deacon wrote:
loremipsum wrote:Guys I need help, it's kinda hilarious.

The price increase is the result of Spyderco lowering the MAP allowable discount from 40% to 35%, rather than an increase in MSRP, so I'm fairly certain it will apply to those models. So, if saving $12 per knife is worth starving for a month, better buy now.

It has been mentioned that there will be an increase in MSRP on top of the lowering of MAP.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

what does that mean - MAP policy change? 35%? i think map is minimum advertised pricing. what is the 35 percent signify?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

z4vdBt wrote:what does that mean - MAP policy change? 35%? i think map is minimum advertised pricing. what is the 35 percent signify?
Before Spyderco first introduced MAP pricing some dealers were offering discounts of 44% to 46% off MSRP. Till now, MAP has limited them to offering 40% off MSRP. As of Jan 1 that's changing, and dealers will only be allowed to offer a maximum discount of 35% off MSRP.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

I have bought 13 new Spyderco knives and 3 new Byrd knives in the last few months. I guess looking back, it was a good idea. Why doesn’t my wife agree?
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

Meh, USA spydercos are already dirt cheap anyway. Just the other day our main distributor of brand name knives added the sliverax to their lineup in the Netherlands.. Huzzah! For just €289,95.
289.95 Euro equals 346.44 US Dollar.

Must be a mistake right? I emailed, asked if it was a preliminary price and seeing as it just was added. Said how 150 dollars is the going price here and even with FedEx, import taxes, they're still 1/3rd more expensive!

Nope. No mistake, no error: 'this is the set price, - insert nonsense rambling about this and that justifying the pricing-.

Benchmade 940-1? Be ready to cough up 360 euros and do the conversion yourself for giggles. You guys gave it so great :( fix international pricing :(
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think that dealers cannot advertise a price lower than 35%, but they can still give coupons, or other such things. At least, that is how I understood it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050