Can a Caly 3.5 Replace an X-Acto Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

Can a Caly 3.5 Replace an X-Acto Knife?

Post by dreadpirate »

My son gave me a set of small models for a table top game that required separation and trimming of small plastic pieces. I did not have an X-Acto knife handy so I tried my Caly 3.5. It is amazing how effective the long tip razor sharp VG10 blade is in this role. Well done Spyderco!
Sharp Guy

Re: Can a Caly 3.5 Replace an X-Acto Knife?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I used my Chaparral LW to trim so plastic flashing from something I was assembling yesterday. I have an X-Acto knife but it wasn't in my pocket like the Chap was. No need for the X-Acto anyway.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's possible but I'd much rather have the xacto. Much thinner blades and different blade shape options.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I think the Darn Dao would have been a better choice...;)
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

Check out the Spin. People sleep on it but it's a fantastic tiny knife. It's a lot like EDCing an x-acto, especially if you thin the edge out a bit. The short while I worked in an office, I carried mine every day.
:unicorn
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I would prefer X-acto because the blades are flexible and thinner. Especially in cutting curves.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Temporarily, sure. However, as great as Spyderco knives are, nothing can really replace an X-Acto knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

dreadpirate wrote:My son gave me a set of small models for a table top game that required separation and trimming of small plastic pieces. I did not have an X-Acto knife handy so I tried my Caly 3.5. It is amazing how effective the long tip razor sharp VG10 blade is in this role. Well done Spyderco!
More important question- which models for which game?

Warhammer 40,000 dude here- currently campaigning Adeptus Astartes Dark Angels and building 2000 points of Imperial Guard :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

demoncase wrote:
dreadpirate wrote:My son gave me a set of small models for a table top game that required separation and trimming of small plastic pieces. I did not have an X-Acto knife handy so I tried my Caly 3.5. It is amazing how effective the long tip razor sharp VG10 blade is in this role. Well done Spyderco!
More important question- which models for which game?

Warhammer 40,000 dude here- currently campaigning Adeptus Astartes Dark Angels and building 2000 points of Imperial Guard :)
Both my sons play Warhammer, but, this is HammerFall, cold war era military scenarios. I have played both. Both are a ton of fun. I got the HammerFall for Christmas.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I will have to admit that I am not 100% serious about the Caly 3.5 replacing the X Acto, but I was very pleased how well it did being the closest knife available at the time. There's just something about razor-sharp VG10.