HOW TO: Get the Shaman to close by gravity.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
razorsharp

HOW TO: Get the Shaman to close by gravity.

Post by razorsharp »

So my 1 single gripe with the shaman was that it couldn't be closed with gravity. Out of the box they hitch up on the detent ball. You can't open the compression lock as far on this knife as you can with the pm2 or basically any other compression lock. This is because of the shallow recess on the inside of the show scale.
You can dremel out a small amount of material from the deeper lockbar recess to allow the lock to move over more. This increases smoothness and allows the blade to drop with gravity, right into the handle, like a PM2. The only thing that might be a con to some is the tiny little tiny notch you get in the scale. But its really subtle and pretty much looks like it would be manufactured like that :D

Image bit of oil to blacken it
Image The small notch you get.

https://youtu.be/0EIctTOhDo0
cabfrank

Re: HOW TO: Get the Shaman to close by gravity.

Post by cabfrank »

You're a braver man than I. I cringe at the thought of putting a dremel to my nice, not inexpensive new folder. It does look smooth in the video though.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Mine drops freely now that it has broken in. Same excellent action as the PM2.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I would say mine was broken in, but the detent ball wasnt wearing at all, probably cause its up against a polished surface.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

did you try putting a dab of grease on your detent ball?
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I must be the weird one, but I hate freeswinging blades. Strong detent is best detent
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Brock O Lee wrote:Mine drops freely now that it has broken in. Same excellent action as the PM2.
Mine has dropped like a sack of potatoes from the get go. The only thing that I might do is grind down the knob at the end of the finger choil as it tends to interfere with the closing of the blade if I don't have my finger out of the way while compressing the lock. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

twinboysdad wrote:I must be the weird one, but I hate freeswinging blades. Strong detent is best detent
Freak!
vivi

Post by vivi »

twinboysdad wrote:I must be the weird one, but I hate freeswinging blades. Strong detent is best detent
Same. I like manually controlling the opening and closing of my knives. More safe and consistent IME.
:unicorn
SG89

Post by SG89 »

holeshot wrote:The only thing that I might do is grind down the knob at the end of the finger choil as it tends to interfere with the closing of the blade if I don't have my finger out of the way while compressing the lock. :)
lil native has the exact same problem... I wonder what the deal is with that
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Nice fix OP. Like a few have said here already, mine already does that though. It was a bit stiff when I got it so I disassembled it, cleaned it, lubed it. Voila. Para 2 action, no dremel required. I’m sure it would have gotten there on it’s own over time though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
mad german

Post by mad german »

Nope, you're not weird. All of my PM2 and Para 3 have been adjusted to NOT free swing.
My collection is ever changing!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Image and gone is the bump on thr ricasso
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Nice fix OP. Like a few have said here already, mine already does that though. It was a bit stiff when I got it so I disassembled it, cleaned it, lubed it. Voila. Para 2 action, no dremel required. I’m sure it would have gotten there on it’s own over time though.
It probably would have gotten there over time but a couple thousand openings and not a spec of wear on the detent ball.... Was gonna take a while lol. I disassembled and nano oiled it and it didn't make it much smoother. So I got out my handymans dentist drill
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I should also mention that when I bought mine I got to choose from five specimens in person. After checking each I eventually chose the one I brought home. A few of the other four had free swinging action, but they all had a bit of blade play. Mine didn’t, which is why I chose it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mr.B.

Post by Mr.B. »

I prefer all of my folders to require the application of a continuous force throughout their opening and closing movement. Those capable of moving freely must have a strong positive detent.
Hopefully there is room for all of us in the knife world.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Mr.B. wrote:I prefer all of my folders to require the application of a continuous force throughout their opening and closing movement. Those capable of moving freely must have a strong positive detent.
Hopefully there is room for all of us in the knife world.
Strong detent, free swinging blade, and absolutely 0 blade play ;)
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi wrote:
Same. I like manually controlling the opening and closing of my knives. More safe and consistent IME.
My preference too.
Chris :spyder:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Nope, you're not weird. All of my PM2 and Para 3 have been adjusted to NOT free swing.
Strongly agree. I don't like the idea of truly sharp edges swinging freely anywhere near me or my parts.

Joe
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

razorsharp wrote:Image and gone is the bump on thr ricasso

Any photos of the Compression Lock area with it closed?

I've been wondering why they seem to have kept the back lock kick from the Native, on this Shaman?

I guess I've gotten used to it, like it pushes your finger out of the way when it's fully closed, letting you know with tactile sensation.
Going back to Caly.