LC200N Pacific Salt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tangent

Re: LC200N Pacific Salt

Post by tangent »

Surfingringo wrote:I am also pleased with the news about keeping the stronger tip. I am one of the folks that regrinds the spine of my Pacific Salts to give them a pointier tip but I have always agreed that they should come with the stronger tip. If they came the way I liked them then everyone wanting something stronger would be SOL. As it is, I can regrind one to my taste in 5 minutes.
What do you use to regrind the Pac Salt?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tangent wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:I am also pleased with the news about keeping the stronger tip. I am one of the folks that regrinds the spine of my Pacific Salts to give them a pointier tip but I have always agreed that they should come with the stronger tip. If they came the way I liked them then everyone wanting something stronger would be SOL. As it is, I can regrind one to my taste in 5 minutes.
Usually a bench grinder. I’ve done a couple with sandpaper and a flat surface but that definitely takes more than 5 minutes. :)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Do you have to keep cooling the blade while using the bench grinder?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

cabfrank wrote:Do you have to keep cooling the blade while using the bench grinder?
I do. I keep a mug of water and quench every time it starts getting too hot to hold. every 5-6 seconds probably. I don't fully understand how the hardening process works with a steel like H1. Since there is not a temperature induced hardening or tempering process, I'm not sure if heating the steel and cooling slowly would soften it, but I figure its safer to keep it cool. With lc200n or other steels I'm even more careful.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The easiest way to keep your line straight is to tape a straight line across the top of the blade and grind off everything above the tape. No special skills are needed...at all. It's really hard to screw up. Just go slow and make long passes back and forth from one end to the other.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I was thinking about the color, maybe a slightly darker yellow would be a good idea to differentiate the different steel, but still stay consistent with the salt line colors. Possibly a dark gray or black for more discreet carry.

I would like a pointer tip but understand why a stronger tip would be produced. I just may need to look into getting a bench grinder :)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks for the info, Lance.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I use a DMT XX Coarse to re-tip my Pac Salts and it does the job pretty quick. Certainly not as fast as a belt sander, but it's only 10-15 minutes worth of work that you can do while watching a movie.

Even if I prefer the pointy tips, I can appreciate the idea that it's easier to make a knife pointy than to blunt the tip. Just like how we've recently discussed the fact that adding a sharpening choil is easier than removing one :)

I think this knife will be an absolute killer. The Pacific Salt is already my most frequently carried folder...having a factory FFG option is going to make me even more inclined to carry one! Plus LC200N is still new to me...haven't jumped on any of the designs it's currently offered in...
:unicorn
tangent

Post by tangent »

Surfingringo wrote:
tangent wrote:
Usually a bench grinder. I’ve done a couple with sandpaper and a flat surface but that definitely takes more than 5 minutes. :)
Do you grind slowly and then put in water to cool so that it doesn't get too hot?
mattman

Post by mattman »

tangent wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tangent wrote:
Do you grind slowly and then put in water to cool so that it doesn't get too hot?
That info has already been posted, in this very thread, by the very person you are asking...
tangent

Post by tangent »

mattman wrote:
tangent wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
tangent wrote:
That info has already been posted, in this very thread, by the very person you are asking...
My fault...I didn't read the whole thread...clearly.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What will some of the main performance differences between the H1 Pacific Salt and the LC200N Pacific Salt be, if you were to use them side by side, and apply them to the same basic cutting tasks, or, will their performance be very similar because both are nitrogen based stainless steel?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

LC PE is reported to be much better in edge retention, and can be FFG. I don't think it will be as good as H1 in Spyderedge retention. It is probably not QUITE as rustproof as H1, but still excellent, and we may not know for sure for a while.
I'd guess it won't be as easy to get a razor edge with LC PE as it is with H1 PE, because nothing I've used gets a razor edge that easily, but it will hold that edge longer, from what I've read. I'm a huge H1 fan, and haven't tried LC yet, so for me, without knowing, I'd still prefer H1 in both configurations. The general consensus though, is H1 is probably a higher performance SE steel, and the LC is higher performance in PE.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

My next purchase will be a Pacific Salt SE. I was going for the PE but I'll wait for this new version.
vivi

Post by vivi »

cabfrank wrote:LC PE is reported to be much better in edge retention, and can be FFG. I don't think it will be as good as H1 in Spyderedge retention. It is probably not QUITE as rustproof as H1, but still excellent, and we may not know for sure for a while.
I'd guess it won't be as easy to get a razor edge with LC PE as it is with H1 PE, because nothing I've used gets a razor edge that easily, but it will hold that edge longer, from what I've read. I'm a huge H1 fan, and haven't tried LC yet, so for me, without knowing, I'd still prefer H1 in both configurations. The general consensus though, is H1 is probably a higher performance SE steel, and the LC is higher performance in PE.
Even if the edge holding is exactly the same between the two steels, I'd still pick up a FFG LC200N PE Pacific Salt. The FFG will reduce weight and increase cutting performance, so I'm in. I think I'm one of the few that is ok with the level of edge holding PE H1 offers. After thinning out the edge to about half the factory angles, and giving it a coarse microbevel, I find it works a little better than how it did when new.
:unicorn
SpyderEdgeForever

tonijedi wrote:My next purchase will be a Pacific Salt SE. I was going for the PE but I'll wait for this new version.

That sounds like a great excellent choice to me. After you use it for awhile please let myself and others know your feedback and how you like it as a cutting tool.
SpyderEdgeForever

cabfrank , when you say that the LC is not quite as rust proof as H1, could you please clarify that a bit more? For example: What would be a corrosive-effect that would (obviously we are speculating here) potentially cause rust on LC that would not effect H1? Certain concentrated corrosive chemicals or certain types of outdoor enviroments?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Vivi, I'm with you on the H1 PE. It touches up so easily that I don't care at all if I have to do it often. I'm also with you on the FFG LC200N Pacific Salt. I'll get one, for sure.
Last edited by cabfrank on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

SEF, I'm just guessing that it probably won't be as completely rust proof, even in outdoor environments, in the very long term. I believe it will be excellent though. I just think H1 has proven itself unbeatable in that regard. I think I read some info from Lance that supported my thought. We'll have to see, after it has been around for years, like H1. Maybe the difference won't be significant.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

sal wrote:We'll use the current E4 pattern wit no liners like the Salt 2 (ribbed inner structure) Sorry for the few that don't like the shape, but the large majority likes the E4 shape. Blade will be same as H1 version in pattern, but full flat ground. We'll use the stronger tip. Those that don't like it can regrind their spines.

sal
Super excited for this! Love the current E4 handle, love frn, love the FFG, love the lc200n! LC200N is easy to sharpen, tough, super rust resistant and holds an edge. This knife can't get here soon enough for me.

Thank You Sal!

David