Grail discussions!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: Grail discussions!!

Post by bh49 »

No Spyderco grails at this time. At this time I am so consumed by CF Fluted N5, so I even cannot imagine that any other knife will be able to replace this one in my heart and in my pocket.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Richierich252000 wrote: 1.The Cranberry Lum. No one seems to know the exact amount because it didn't actually make it into full production but there are reports of 2 so far. It is very "hush hush" who actually owns them though.
Cranberry Lum is one of well known prototypes, which Spyderco made over years. Probably thousands of them. Without any doubts, out of known prototypes I would have some of C83 Persians, which Paul posted years ago, when Sal sent to him for pictures taking.
You can find all of them on Paul's website along with Paul's own Persians. "Green marble" and Orange are beautiful. Cocobolo and desert Ironwood exquisite. Red actually is my least favorite :o
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:
Richierich252000 wrote: 1.The Cranberry Lum. No one seems to know the exact amount because it didn't actually make it into full production but there are reports of 2 so far. It is very "hush hush" who actually owns them though.
Cranberry Lum is one of well known prototypes, which Spyderco made over years. Probably thousands of them. Without any doubts, out of known prototypes I would have some of C83 Persians, which Paul posted years ago, when Sal sent to him for pictures taking.
You can find all of them on Paul's website along with Paul's own Persians. "Green marble" and Orange are beautiful. Cocobolo and desert Ironwood exquisite. Red actually is my least favorite :o
There's also that case of Natives at Spyderco HQ, that Wouter (Mr Blonde) photographed some years back, many of which never made it to production.

And of course this beauty, that I'd call a "grail" except that it spends a good deal of time in my pocket. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

This is the beauty, even I am not a stretch fan

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bh49 wrote:This is the beauty, even I am not a stretch fan
Agreed! I haven't carried either of my Stretches much but that one would be carried proudly!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

1 Spyderco Caribbean with FRN grip.

2 Chisel Point LC200N stainless steel tanto with serrated Spyder Edge and FRN grip.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Spyderco Caspian Salt with pointed tip.
SEF,

Got grinder?

:cool:

H2
He who walks in the company of fools suffers a long way; company with fools, like an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk. Therefore, one ought to follow the wise, the intelligent, the learned, the much enduring, the dutiful, the elect; one ought to follow a good and wise man as the moon follows the path of the stars.

--Buddha, The Dhammapada, Chapter XV, Verses 207-208.
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

On ya know....

Jokes aside, I would love a M2 s90v C.F. With the clear lock.

The Warrior

And the Euro

D'allara 2

Autonomy

:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

Larry_Mott wrote:Now, i am not condescending, but to me a grail is hard to come by regardless if you're Bill Gates :)
Bingo!
Larry_Mott wrote:I don't know what to call knives you simply don't have the funds to get but are otherwise not really that hard to get.
A "puppy".
Larry_Mott wrote:Personally i am lucky enough not to have any Spyderco i have a burning desire to own. .There are some i'd like, but i can wait until/if they show up at a price i can pay.
Lots of interesting Spyderco grails/unicorns out there, but i don't feel i *have* to own.
Word!*

*The Byrd is the word.
He who walks in the company of fools suffers a long way; company with fools, like an enemy, is always painful; company with the wise is pleasure, like meeting with kinsfolk. Therefore, one ought to follow the wise, the intelligent, the learned, the much enduring, the dutiful, the elect; one ought to follow a good and wise man as the moon follows the path of the stars.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Bravo and Hattori Hanzo, great ideas!

When you say got grinder, what do you mean? This is possible? :)

Regarding the Warrior: I would like to see a new Spyderco Warrior with a different tip configuration/point configuration.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Bravo and Hattori Hanzo, great ideas!

When you say got grinder, what do you mean? This is possible? :)

Regarding the Warrior: I would like to see a new Spyderco Warrior with a different tip configuration/point configuration.
SEF,

Thanks, but to which idea in particular are you referring? (I stumble incessantly over them.)

Grind the point yourself. Just don't overheat the blade or you'll bugger up the tempering. You know, “Softly, softly, catchy monkey”.

:)

p.s. If you do, remember: "NO WARRANTY FOR YOU!" :D

Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Well, I just realized I didn't even express what a grail means to me. Geez!! Grail to me means that they pop up once in a blue moon or they pop up every so often but are usually extremely expensive when on the chopping block. I think I'd like to add a couple more.

Challif- about the only people that even are familiar with it are on this forum. Kosher :)

Mini Mariner Abalone- pretty cut and dry
Think for yourself
delican_38

Post by delican_38 »

While I have many grails on my want-list, I would have to say that some of the ones that I'm interested in currently are:

BBS exclusive M390 PM2

Plain edge Dodo with carbon fiber scales

Plain edge Jester with green FRN scales (and the attached flashlight)
:spyder: Spyderco collector since 2011
rwponline

Post by rwponline »

ZrowsN1s wrote:So I guess I'd define "grail" as a knife you would like to own, but for any number of reasons... you can not. This could be too expensive, too rare, or in the case of the Janisong too illegal :D
Janisong would be my grail knife.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I think at this point my current grail Spyderco is probably the Superblue Caly 3, hard to find one these days. But I don't know if it would really fall into the 'grail' category, because I would still probably pass one up if it was too expensive.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

rwponline wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:So I guess I'd define "grail" as a knife you would like to own, but for any number of reasons... you can not. This could be too expensive, too rare, or in the case of the Janisong too illegal :D
Janisong would be my grail knife.
I wouldn't mind adding one to the collection :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Ever since Spyderco released the Manix 2 with a Maxamet blade my "grail" had been a Maxamet Manix 2 with liners and G-10 scales. When I learned that this version would not be produced in 2018, (unless in a Sprint or Dealer Exclusive, which I have not as yet seen), I knew if I was going to have my wish I would have to make it happen myself.

I wanted 2 knives, one for edc and one to keep in my "grab and go" evac. bag for a pre-need back up. I already had 2 of the Manix 2 LW knives with Maxamet blades, so I ordered 2 of the liners and G-10 versions with S30V blades and did a blade swap thereby achieving my "grail" knives.
I am glad I did.

The blade swap went well. Only six screws and seven parts involved in the process, plus a good Torex 9 and Torex 10 driver and a bit of blue thread locker. After studying how the parts interacted with each other the blade swap was a simple process. In a previous topic here on the Forum I received a good deal of helpful advice and comments from my friends and fellow members which helped make the project go that much better.

Thanks to all who helped with the project, and the desire to create my own special Maxamet Manix 2, I now have my "grail". :)

Dave
ferider

Post by ferider »

Being new to the forum, the grail discussions are still a little hard to follow.

Let me explain:

- the other day, i was cutting bamboo in our yard. Many, about 10-15 feet long plants, de-leaved them and then made 3 feet long garden sticks out of them. And finally, i used one of them and made a wistle for my better half, just for fun. All of that with a Military s110v, which is probably my favorite all-around folder.
- some days later, under the hood of my Mustang, changing a battery, cleaning some corrosion and old heavy gauge copper cables. Maxamet PM2, that i later used at our recycle place too, cutting boxes, bags, etc. Perfect knife of the day. The military might have done, too, but its a little long for mechanics, and it raises eye-brows, the pm2 was better suited over all.
- on dec 31, we’ll have a cheese fondue for dinner, and the same K2 that i used for a fruit salad yesterday, will be great for slicing cheese, etc. Even more comfortable to me than our “real” kitchen knives.

I’m really fond of the variety of knives that Spyderco makes available. If i had to pick a single knife, it would probably be my Ti Military 110, but I’m happy that I don’t have to.

Don’t get me wrong, I very much appreciate the beauty of a knife as an object. But some of my prettiest knives are actually hardly useful (e.g., my Chinook 1, a “grail” maybe?), and in the end what gets used day 2 day matters most.

Roland.