Is it just me... ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Is it just me... ?

Post by Jazz »

Or are there WAY too many frame lock folders coming out? I keep seeing new knife companies I've never heard of pop up on W & W's website, and everything is either frame lock or liner lock. Is that all anyone can do? Are they really that popular and great? I really don't like them. We need way more back locks. I've passed on so many cool Spyderco designs because of this. Am I alone and just ranting, or am I seeing far too many of these things?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Is it just me... ?

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’d agree most companies seem to be designing and selling framelocks, so you’re correct. However, I’m not too interested in backlocks so it kind of works for me....
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
C99c

Post by C99c »

Jazz wrote:...We need way more back locks....
I agree.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
remnar

Post by remnar »

I think it's just you Jazz. I'm not a fan of most liner locks but they do seem to be very popular. Frame locks are very similar and I do think that part of the appeal for the manufacturer is that they are easier to produce.
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Personally, lock type is something I really don't care much for. I've never had a lock fail on me, and I've never encountered a lock that made a knife unpleasant to use, except perhaps for some hard-to-reach liner locks.

I do agree, however, that we seem to see a disproportionate amount of frame locks on the market today. As remnar said, it probably has to do with ease of manufacturing, and maybe also because they tend to be more fun to fiddle with.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I was thinking it was something to do with ease of manufacture, but really, they're ubiquitous.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

Honestly My favourite lock type is framelock, back locks are long down the list.
@martial_logan on the instagram.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

It's just you.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:I was thinking it was something to do with ease of manufacture, but really, they're ubiquitous.
It is not just you. I think a lot of designs would be better if they were back locks. Liner/frame locks are my least favorite lock and often keep me from buying a knife I otherwise like. This is the voice of a previous hard user. Ranch and farm life does not get along with liner/frame locks.

Plus, I do think it is cost and ease of manufacture that is driving this, normally (the Millie is the exception...it was weight saving in that case). I would also think it is easier to make a liner/frame lock than a complicated lock back.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz wrote:Or are there WAY too many frame lock folders coming out? I keep seeing new knife companies I've never heard of pop up on W & W's website, and everything is either frame lock or liner lock. Is that all anyone can do? Are they really that popular and great? I really don't like them. We need way more back locks. I've passed on so many cool Spyderco designs because of this. Am I alone and just ranting, or am I seeing far too many of these things?
Agreed 100%.

They must sell good. If you go to general knife forums, they're always posted in EDC threads etc.

I don't get the appeal. Slick scales and no self close.
:unicorn
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

R.I.L’s and Backlocks are my favorite, but so are compression locks and frame liner locks. :)
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

definitely prefer backlocks, can't ever seem to own a frame lock very long...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I agree that frame and liner locks are too well represented in today’s folding knife market. The Spydercos I carry are all back locks except one compression lock and one caged ball bearing lock. I’m open to a good liner lock, but frame locks leave me cold. I don’t like metal handles.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jazz wrote:Or are there WAY too many frame lock folders coming out? I keep seeing new knife companies I've never heard of pop up on W & W's website, and everything is either frame lock or liner lock. Is that all anyone can do? Are they really that popular and great? I really don't like them. We need way more back locks. I've passed on so many cool Spyderco designs because of this. Am I alone and just ranting, or am I seeing far too many of these things?
Yes there are a lot of frame and liner locks on the market. My guess is that it's because people like them. Manufacturers wouldn't be making them if they didn't sell very well, right? I happen to like frame and liner locks so I'm not complaining. I also like back locks and I don't think BL fans have much to complain about. Take a look through the catalog. Based on the number of back lock models it seems to me that those who dislike back locks are the ones who should be complaining.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Yes there are a lot of frame and liner locks on the market. My guess is that it's because people like them. Manufacturers wouldn't be making them if they didn't sell very well, right? I happen to like frame and liner locks so I'm not complaining. I also like back locks and I don't think BL fans have much to complain about. Take a look through the catalog. Based on the number of back lock models it seems to me that those who dislike back locks are the ones who should be complaining.
Outside of Spyderco, Cold Steel and a couple of Bucks, seems like backlocks have very little marlet representation.
:unicorn
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

There are a ton, and boy do they cost a lot.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I’m with you there.

Wondering why?
No resistance once the blade off detent?
Chris :spyder:
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I totally agree. I prefer a good back lock over pretty much anything else. I like a truly ambidextrous lock. I’d love to see more top-shelf back locks offered.
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

The locking tab on the last liner lock I owned would visibly flex under relatively little force. Now I prefer slip-joint knives to liner locks. That way I know the limits.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well it's probably a sign of what sells the most, along with being relatively easy to produce. I've even handled some cheapo frame locks that had great lock up. Personally it depends a lot on the design, for example I would still have bought a Sliverax if it wasn't a flipper and came with a back lock because I like the ergonomics and the rest of the design enough. The Manix 2 back lock has loads of potential and I'm anxious to get one and see what I can do with modding the grip, but I'm holding out for a different steel on that one. I definitely don't buy knives FOR the back lock but I also don't avoid knives because they're back locks.
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David