Lil Szabo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Lil Szabo

Post by vivi »

The Spyderco Szabo Folder, designed by Laci Szabo, is one of my top 10 Spydercos. The unique lines immediately caught my eye.

In fact, I've had this image saved on my PC ever since it was shared here:

As I read about the knife, I became even more intrigued by the design. The lock was particularly interesting to me, a compression lock with the strong self close I enjoy in my lockbacks. Once broken in, I found it's a treat to use.

I find the Szabo as functional as I do visually interesting. Once I thinned out the edge it seemed to slice through anything I cut with ease. The recurve blade really grabs on to whatever material I'm cutting.

I think what holds the Szabo Folder back from being more popular, is the size and weight.

The Police and Military are already bigger knives than a lot of people are willing to carry. The Szabo makes them feel a little dainty.

Even the Para 2 is larger than a lot of folks prefer to have in their pockets, and the Szabo completely dwarfs it:

Looking at the "You get to make any model a Lil "fill in the blank" thread, the Lil Szabo was a very popular request.

This thread will serve to discuss what you would like to see in a Lil Szabo Folder, should one ever be considered for production.

What size would you like? The original has an OAL of 10.25" with a 4.6" blade.

What handle materials would you like to see? The original used variations of CF/G10 laminate on thick stainless liners.

Would you want the self close system included? The original uses a unique self close mechanism, utilizing a spring that pulls the blade shut.

Black or satin blade?

CE or SE? Or just PE like the original?

For the record I think the Szabo was perfect sized the way it was, but everyone I've shown it to has said it's too big for them to want to carry. I think a Lil Szabo that captures the spirit of the original design would introduce a lot of new folks to one of Spydercos more unique collaborations.
:unicorn
archangel

Re: Lil Szabo

Post by archangel »

Make it the same size like the Slysz bowie - I think that‘s 3“ of blade? Keep the handles the way they are. Upgrade the steel to something high end - maybe M4 or 52100? Keep the self-closing feature, just make it a little less strong. :) Satin or black I don‘t care. But please keep the edge plain.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

What size would you like? 3.5" blade with handle that accommodates that.

What handle materials would you like to see? CF or G10

Would you want the self close system included? yes, if it is practical

Black or satin blade? satin, but DLC is good too

CE or SE? Or just PE like the original? Absolutely positively PE

Would I buy one? YES (budget permitting)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

A little bigger than a Delica and a little smaller than an Endura. Caly 3.5 size?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was really interesting in the changes made to the lock but the rest wasn't really my style.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

When I first got into Spyderco knives a few years back I picked up both versions of the Szabo Folder. I am very impressed with how well built this knife is. I really,like the compression lock on this knife and self close system works very well.

For a smaller size option a good compromise in size would be 3.25”. 3.0” would be to small for some folks and 3.5” would be to big. This knife would be awesome with the same stainless steel liner thickness giving it the same overall over built feel.

I am partial to the original scale material and would like to see both variants continue in the smaller size. Satin blade with the gold lightening strike carbon fiber laminate and DLC black blade with the carbon fiber laminate.

I think the weight of the smaller blade and how well Spyderco’s R&D can tune the detent will determine if the self close system would be necessary. Honestly, I find it pretty awesome and works very well. I personally have never had an issue with it.

JonesE
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I suspect even a Lil Sazbo would be too big for me :D I like the design though. If they were to make one in a size I like, about the only thing I would like different is a full flat grind.
*more like the grind on the pic from the 2010 amsterdamn meet.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I like the original size (coming from Cold Steel :D ) but would've liked a lighter version (linerless FRN or G10) and to me that blade shape and curve scream SE to be a devil pocket saw

lock is fine
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Vivi,

Your hands are massive. Glad your aren't my prostate Dr!