Needing something special

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Needing something special

Post by Evil D »

i am travvy wrote:
Evil D wrote:
murphjd25 wrote:I’m surprised they are going to let you use a Spyderco. Our doctor told me no way. I was kind of disappointed but oh well. I was going to use my Slysz Bowie.
I didn't even think of it at the time, but I kept the scissors. I'm not big on theft but in all the chaos of the moment I never let go of them and I later found them in my pocket.
Hey if they don’t let me use the spydie, I now have a plan b! Haha just playing.

I'm really surprised hospitals haven't caught on to the desire to keep the cutting cool and offer some kind of personalized scissors or something to sell you that are properly sterilized beforehand. I'm sure they lose a lot of scissors during births.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Freediver wrote:Darn Dao... but seriously, congrats.
Haha. Yeah, that or the Respect :D
Just kidding of course ;)
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I’m sure they would let me use the darn dao... right? I’m sure the nurse will probably call the cops saying there’s a crazy guy loose in the hospital lol.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The sterilization thing is a legit concern, even though they tie it off and it eventually falls off I suppose infection could spread. I'm also certain far worse things have been used to cut the cord than a pocket knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Seriously, a Chaparral is a very, very good slicing knife and would be a good heirloom.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Yeah I can see how the sterilization can be an issue as well. I guess if they don’t let me at least I’ll have a nice new knife to play with. If they do then it will just be a big plus.

I can see the chaparral being a big contender for this. Will probably end up being between that and if the sb caly jr is released, then that.
Knifeaholic

Post by Knifeaholic »

i am travvy wrote:As some of you know, my girlfriend and I are expecting our first child. His due date is in February and that time is quickly approaching. Some think that the hardest thing to pick out is the name.. which we have chose for his name to be Fynn. Right now the hardest thing I’m having to pick out is which spydie to cut the cord with! I’m wanting it to be something kind of special. Possibly something to hand down to him when he gets older. Definitely looking for something with a thin blade thickness, a good slicer. What do y’all suggest? I’m kind of hoping the super blue caly jr is released before then or maybe some of the hap 40 calys will be left in a few weeks? Decisions decisions..
This is so funny! I'm in the exact same situation as you are. We are also expecting our first child in February. I was kidding with my wife that i need a new Spyderco to cut the cord with. She shaked her head and in fact i was just kidding, for obvious, mostly hygenic reasons. But when i read your post, i had to smile. I couldn't believe it that someone else had the exact same idea. You really made my day! I think this a great, although very special idea which only knifepeople will understand. Or maybe not, but who cares anyway. My thougts are with you. I think i would choose the Spydiechef for this one of a kind mission. It is totally rustproof, has a special blade shape and look, appears to be a very capable slicer and it can be engraved as somebody mentioned in here. This would be my pick personally because i prefer the stainless over the non stainless steels.
Even though the doc will probably not allow it, it is at least worth a try. And a good reason to buy a new knife. And it will be a fun story to tell afterwards.
Hopefully so. Good luck man!
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

2-21-18 this little guy was born. unfortunately i could not use one of my spydies to cut the cord. my girlfriend had to have a c section and things were moving pretty fast. i wish i could of used my knife, probably would of worked better than the scissors they gave me.

ImageUntitled by Travis Raffety, on Flickr
SG89

Post by SG89 »

congratulations!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Awesome. Hang in there. It’s pretty hard at first.
Hope everyone is well and the gf heals fast.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Right on Trav, awesome times for sure. Our first was C section too, very hard on mom, I'm sure you'll be a great dad, enjoy every minute, goes by fast.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Congrats Trav and Mom.. Enjoy and cherish every moment!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

thank you everyone!! it is definitely a learning curve, thats for sure!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I'd likely go a bottle of Rum and a ZDP Stretch. :)

I'd use a bit of Rum to sterilise the blade and what was left for personally fortification. ;)

Edit: I should look at dates and pages. :o

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. :cool:
Last edited by Bloke on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
attila

Post by attila »

Congrats on the kid!!!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Contrasts my wife's due April 12th. We think were having a girl so I'm thinking knife center pink ladybug.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam