I wish Spyderco would make...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

Re: I wish Spyderco would make...

Post by Eli Chaps »

A no-BS dedicated 8" cook's knife. Not a Santoku, no serrations, just a true purpose-built cook's knife. I'm thinking something along the lines of the older French knives that today would be considered a hybrid of a Gyuto and western chef's knife. A flatter knife but with enough belly to still allow rocking. Thinly spinned, ~2.5mm, and 15dps max. I'm thinking BD1N.

I'd be open to a FRN handle even. Not sure how it does when molded into thicker (sculpted) shapes but if it would work then cool.

A nimble, task-oriented, second-to-none Spyderco offering.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

A Spyderco atcf before terzuola retires (not saying he is, but he's not getting younger)

Another Spyderco RJ Martin collab
A Spyderco guided sharpening system
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

A Bob Lum saber tip folder. Google it. It's gorgeous.

Also a loveless style chute knife. Really have a thing for those right now.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:32 am
rybu0305 wrote:More caged ball bearing knives.
Especially a smaller one--like Chaparral sized.
A mini manix. Yes, I would like that too
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:12 am
noddy wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 am
I have wanted to see a modern sobuster from Spyderco for ages and ages. In G10 and VG10 to be exact. For a time I was a bore on the subject and then just gave up hoping. Doesn’t fit the general scope of the company I think

Anyway

Boker just made it ... The Slack. So I don’t have to hope no more :)

YES! Same here! A Spyderco Sodbuster exactly as you describe it. 100 percent YES!
Would that be a roadie xl? I could be down for that.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14 pm
A no-BS dedicated 8" cook's knife. Not a Santoku, no serrations, just a true purpose-built cook's knife. I'm thinking something along the lines of the older French knives that today would be considered a hybrid of a Gyuto and western chef's knife. A flatter knife but with enough belly to still allow rocking. Thinly spinned, ~2.5mm, and 15dps max. I'm thinking BD1N.

I'd be open to a FRN handle even. Not sure how it does when molded into thicker (sculpted) shapes but if it would work then cool.

Do you think that 2 mm would be too thin? I have 2 mm thick Gyuto. It is not flexing. 8-9" BD1N can be interesting. FRN can be too expensive in the sense of making mold, unless Spyderco already has something suitable.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

A Caly 3.5 vg10..... [sigh]
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sprint Runs of the golden-made folding knives in 3V and 4V with new G10 colors. maybe semi-translucent (like the Blurple or DLT Red) dark green or charcoal smoke? Guarantee these would all be HUGE sellers and instant sell outs!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sprints/Exclusives of the Shaman and both Lil Natives in Cruwear, M4, and 52100...I know...I have no patience!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

bh49 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 am
Eli Chaps wrote:

Do you think that 2 mm would be too thin? I have 2 mm thick Gyuto. It is not flexing. 8-9" BD1N can be interesting. FRN can be too expensive in the sense of making mold, unless Spyderco already has something suitable.
I suppose it would be steel dictated but 2mm might work. Good point about the FRN molds.

I don't know a ton about BD1N but I know it is being used in some kitchen cutlery now and at some pretty impressive hardness levels. I'm not sure what the chippiness level is though...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm
bh49 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 am
Eli Chaps wrote:

I suppose it would be steel dictated but 2mm might work. Good point about the FRN molds.

I don't know a ton about BD1N but I know it is being used in some kitchen cutlery now and at some pretty impressive hardness levels. I'm not sure what the chippiness level is though...
Possibly we read the same info about this steel. But I am not familiar with makers, who used this steel, so it will be very interesting to try backed-up by Spyderco knowledge and experience.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

bh49 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:59 am

Possibly we read the same info about this steel. But I am not familiar with makers, who used this steel, so it will be very interesting to try backed-up by Spyderco knowledge and experience.
I've seen a couple knives out there with the BD1N steel but mostly Japanese style. i read some here about the steel and what bits I could find on the web but don't know too much about it other than it very much piques my curiosity!

I agree 100% about a product coming from Spyderco and that's why I'd want something like so bad. With their understanding and focus on the ELU I have no doubt they could turn out an outstanding knife!

I did some handling of my existing kitchen knives and 2mm might be too thin. I don't know the exact widths of what I have in there but pretty close. I think 2mm would make for a great, light, nimble knife but I wonder if it would be so thin that the spine would dig into the offhand when using it in such a manner? Maybe not and sure like to see. :)
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:08 pm
Sprints/Exclusives of the Shaman and both Lil Natives in Cruwear, M4, and 52100...I know...I have no patience!
yes indeed :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

A Dragonfly Wharncliffe without the big hump in the blade that the Delica has.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Gayle Bradley 1/2 in CPM154 or RWL34 and G10 or Micarta and FRN Caly 3.5 in CTS-BD1N .
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd like to see a Spyderco Modern Traditional Family. I know theyre planning the Slysz Swayback but I'd like to see a Spydie Sodbuster, a Spydie Barlow, and anything else they want to make along those lines.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

More super steels! I know they're hard to work with, but they sell out don't they? :D

HAP72, s125v, REX 121, 15V, more Maxamet? S390?

A guy can dream can't he? :D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

...the Spydies in my sigline. :p
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JamesScottRockford

Post by JamesScottRockford »

tonijedi wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:01 pm
Potato peeler in zdp-189.
But not for Scotland.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:50 pm
I'd like to see a Spyderco Modern Traditional Family. I know theyre planning the Slysz Swayback but I'd like to see a Spydie Sodbuster, a Spydie Barlow, and anything else they want to make along those lines.
Any preference on handle material? I'd like to see something other than titanium.