T-Mag Sprint...any interest?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BrianMcCord

T-Mag Sprint...any interest?

Post by BrianMcCord »

I love the shape of the T-Mag and would love a sprint, even if it doesn't say "Rare Earth ". Although, that was really cool.

Maybe a 154cm/S90v laminate with CF?

Any other T Mag lovers?
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
dsvirsky

Re: T-Mag Sprint...any interest?

Post by dsvirsky »

I agree the T Mag is a well designed knife, well except for the weak magnetic "lock." I'd love to see it reissued as a lock back.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would probably be interested and would definitely go for a backlock or slipjoint version of this design.
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

As once said the famous Spyderco enthusiast Beyonce, "If you like it then you should have put a lock on it."
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Is it April's Fools? T-Mag was probably one of the least popular Spydercos ever.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Would probably be interested and would definitely go for a backlock or slipjoint version of this design.
It would be lifting up the name plate and sliding a new knife underneath it.

The re-engineering and changes would make it a new knife with all the costs and work that entails just getting it to production. Considering they just about had to give away those near the end I doubt anything resembling that will be produced again. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I have never had the confidence in mine to carry it but I admit it is a cool knife.

Joe
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Nah,not for me.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I really like the shape. Put a back lock in it, and I'll buy it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Not for me. Even with a backlock the design doesn’t really interest me.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd love it with a midlock, would be like a "Stretch Jr.". However, for a number of reasons, don't see that ever happening.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I see the point being made here. I have never handled a T Mag, but thanks to this thread, I got an offer to buy one NIB. Even if it isn't the best user, it will be an interesting addition to the collection.
-Brian

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Great looking knife with a weak magnetic goofy slip-joint type lock. Not interested unless they change the lock.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Cool design, interesting lock, but not something I would buy. I believe Spyderco and its vendors had a tough time selling all of the knives which were originally produced.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

If I recall correctly, the original design used a very strong magnet that kept the blade open in the "locked" position but there was concern that the magnet was so powerful that it would wipe credit cards if they got to close so Spyderco produced it with a weaker magnet to avoid that. The problem is, with the weaker magnet, the blade wasn't secure in the open position at all, at least not on the ones I've handled. You had to rely on the finger choil to keep it open. It really is one of the first Spyderco knives I've ever held where I thought to myself, what a bad idea! But after I learned the reason for the weak magnet it made a bit more sense. Selling it again with a stronger magnet would just recreate the original problem, and with a weaker magnet its not very useful.

To me, it is better to leave some knives in the past where they belong and look forward to new and exciting and yes, more useful designs. Sprints are a great way to bring back old designs that people may have missed out on. Spyderco's catalog is so huge, and so full of great designs that I would like to see return, but the T-Mag is definitely not one of those designs. It is a knife that should stay where it belongs, in the past.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Liquid Cobra wrote:To me, it is better to leave some knives in the past where they belong
I agree. Spyderco can't hit it out of the park on every knife and the T-mag doesn't have a lot going for it.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would have to pass on this model. however I would have much more interest in a Terzola slip it revival.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I once offered Spyderco a magnetic adjustment to one of their lock patents that would have opened up massive handle real estate in major sellers, and they passed because of the credit card issue mentioned above.

For that reason, I don't think they're going to do magnetic anything any time soon.
brj

Post by brj »

I guess I'm in minority here but I actually enjoy carrying & using my T-Mag from time to time. Whenever I'm attending conferences and such, and I'm unsure on local laws regarding locking folders, the T-Mag is the de facto choice. Never had an issue with the weak magnet (but I admit to have been extra careful when using it), nor with affected credit cards (although I did find that it can erase quite easily the info on hotel card keys). Depending on price, I'd buy a sprint with a stronger magnet - I liked a lot the fact that Spyderco was willing to try something as clearly out of the box as this idea.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I watched a MythBusters episode that was unable to demagnetize a card. Is this all hearsay, or has this happened to someone?
-Brian

SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Anyone ever drop one in a shop setting and it picked up all the metal shavings, grindings, and slag? Doesn't sound fun to grab a hold of... Really don't enjoy metal splinters in my hand or pocket.
Going back to Caly.