Just curious, why are pocket clips .....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kingston73

Just curious, why are pocket clips .....

Post by kingston73 »

So difficult to get from spyderco? I asked benchmade for a single extra and they sent me 3. Why doesn’t spyderco send out replacement clips and how do I get one? I just ordered a native 5 and would like to try a wire deep carry on it. Thanks all.
blueblur

Re: Just curious, why are pocket clips .....

Post by blueblur »

I've never had any difficulty getting them. They won't send extras and you'll need to buy them but all you need to do is call the factory outlet store and they'll get you squared away.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

How are you going to mount a wire clip on your Native5?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I emailed about some new Salt clips, since the finish wears off of them so easily. I got a very quick response. They are for sale, but the cost plus shipping didn't seem worth it vs. the price of the knives, since those coatings will wear off quickly also. For other knives, it is probably more worth it. Just email them.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

bearfacedkiller wrote:How are you going to mount a wire clip on your Native5?
Dremel tool :)
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I love the look of a well worn clip :) no reason to get a new one unless you spring or snap it! But to each his own, I’ve never had any issue getting a clip from em. Just call em up and place the order. Only reason I’ve gotten spare clips is because I can’t stand the shiny ones they send on the manix and paras. I need my black clips lol

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've learned to not mind them worn also. I wouldn't mind if they took a little longer to get that way though.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like the shiny clips, they show fewer scratches. I wonder if anyone is actually doing true DLC clips.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I have long requested DLC pocket clips. If you want steel to stay black over time, then DLC is the best tech we have today.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

cabfrank wrote:I emailed about some new Salt clips, since the finish wears off of them so easily. I got a very quick response. They are for sale, but the cost plus shipping didn't seem worth it vs. the price of the knives, since those coatings will wear off quickly also. For other knives, it is probably more worth it. Just email them.
may I ask you what number did they give you?
I've been thinking about some extra clips for my Salts

thanks
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Do you mean price? I can't remember exactly, but I believe it was around $16 including shipping.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

SFO sent a shiny Military clip I ordered to me in the UK so I can't see the problem. They included some Loctite, as well.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

The g10 manix and Para, military clips etc are finished much much better than the Japan models. Not sure what they do different or if they’re dlc but they hold up much better than endura and salt clips.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

cabfrank wrote:I emailed about some new Salt clips, since the finish wears off of them so easily. I got a very quick response. They are for sale, but the cost plus shipping didn't seem worth it vs. the price of the knives, since those coatings will wear off quickly also. For other knives, it is probably more worth it. Just email them.
Let the clip soak in acetone or use an abrasive pad to remove the coating. The clips are titanium and look much better when the coating is gone..
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

You know, I should give that a try. Will regular nail polish remover work, or does it have to be stronger?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

cabfrank wrote:You know, I should give that a try. Will regular nail polish remover work, or does it have to be stronger?
Just an abrasive pad works, the acetone soak just softens it up and makes it easier. I'd try the nail polish remover, but if it is a skin friendly type it is probably not as effective ;)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

cabfrank wrote:You know, I should give that a try. Will regular nail polish remover work, or does it have to be stronger?
I've used nail polish remover and a bit of steel wool, worked very well.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I found bare metal burnt finish last quite well. Did that to my Resilience, Cara Cara & Stretch HAP 40.
Chris :spyder: