Gentlemens Folder Suggestion....Centofante Memory feedback?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chopping Broccoli

Gentlemens Folder Suggestion....Centofante Memory feedback?

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I'm getting hitched in late March and wanted to get a nice "dress knife" for the occasion. My buddy is also getting married this summer so I decided to get two Centofante Memory knives. I ordered two from DLT yesterday. One for myself and one as a gift. Neither of us carry ornate knives (I carry a Para 1 and he carries a Manix 2 XL) so this would be a different style knife for us to carry on those rare occasions when you need to wear a suit and tie. It looks like a beautiful folder and I think it will fit the bill for a knife for dressier occasions. Just curious what some owners of the Memory knife have to say about this selection? Are there any other Spyderco folders that are readily available that would fall under the category of gentlemans folder? I'm not trying to second guess my decision to much but want to make sure I didn't forgot about any other knives that might be better suited for this role. I'm thinking about removing the pocket clip from mine to carry loose in pocket.

Pictures of the Centofante Memory are always welcomed and encouraged. I wish the Memory was produced in Taiwan. I'm normally not the biggest fan of the fit and finish of the Japan made knives. I'm hoping the two I ordered will be problem free.
NoFair

Re: Gentlemens Folder Suggestion....Centofante Memory feedback?

Post by NoFair »

The fit and finish on mine is perfect. Great knife that I've received lots of compliments for.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mine had an issue that couldn't be repaired but I'm sure that's not the norm. It's definitely a beautiful knife and should serve the purpose well.

As an alternative to the Memory I would also look at something from the Chaparral line.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Great knife. Very good ergos. The blade is one of the best slicers out there. Lock is very easy to operate. Looks good like gents knife supposed to be.
I like mine a lot and carry it once in a while.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

While not readily available i think the Kopa is the ultimate Gent's Spydie (i do own and like the Memory as well)
However the few times i have put on a suit and tie i have carried the Buck 500 Duke, which is a combo of nostalgia and gentleman..ness that is hard to beat to me. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Personally I love the kopa and kiwi series as gents folders, but the Walker linerlock is by far my #1 choice for a classy elegant folder. Still hunting for the CF version, but I enjoy the blue Alumite version well enough.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
anycal

Post by anycal »

I would consider my Mantra the most 'gentlemen's' folder I own. Followed by the Caly 3 and/or UKPK.
Peter
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

It's a beautiful knife, great lines.
Mine is too heavy in the handle, the blade parks way over to the side, not pleased.
Hope you do better.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

It's a beautiful knife, great lines.
Mine is too heavy in the handle, the blade parks way over to the side, not pleased.
Hope you do better.

SORRY! DP
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
zeus

Post by zeus »

C54 Calypso plain edge with black micarta is my dress knife. A super light knife with a classy Black Tie look, clean lines and a low profile. Very thin too. Sits well in a suit pocket even with the clip. The only exposed fasteners are on the clip.

bh49

Post by bh49 »

Larry_Mott wrote:While not readily available i think the Kopa is the ultimate Gent's Spydie (i do own and like the Memory as well)
I love my Kopas and Memory, but when I am thinking about ultimate Spyderco gents knife, I am thinking about original Jess Horn. I wish I can afford it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Chopping Broccoli wrote: I'm not trying to second guess my decision to much but want to make sure I didn't forgot about any other knives that might be better suited for this role. I'm thinking about removing the pocket clip from mine to carry loose in pocket.
Soon you'll have your Memory in hand, and if it checks all your boxes, you can leisurely keep an eye out for some of the other knives mentioned. Kopas make fine gents' knives, and pop up frequently but may be unpredictably pricey. The upcoming SS clipless Kopa may fit the bill; it offers a clean slate for engraving and embellishment, but is not as classy as the original Kopas, methinks.

Chaparrals--CF, stepped Ti, and Raffir Noble--fit the role superbly; perhaps you can check those at a store?

If you are considering going clipless with the Memory, check out the Bradly Air (no clip), which also has light CF scales reminiscent of the Memory. Discontinued, but often seen on ebay. I carry mine in a thin leather slipcase.

The Sage 4 (disco'ed) is worth a look, but then I'm an old desert ironwood cuss.

Congrats and best wishes for the wedding!

good luck,
nicked.onaut
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Memory is an excellent design—one of my favorites. I’ll echo everything Roman said too. The only minor thing I’d mention is that it is a bit on the heavy side. Overall, it’s a beautiful piece.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and on getting a Memory.

My Memory is my most carried Spyderco. It is a stunning knife both functionally (if you are righthanded) and aesthetically. Blade length is perfect, I like VG10 and I get a decent four finger grip. Initially I didn’t like the blue anodizing but a scotchbrite pad sorted that out and now I really like the grey with a little blue tinge.

As much as I like it, there are a few things that bug me - personally I think a little bit more thought could have been put into the placement of the scale fixing screws. On the reverse side they look pretty random rather than a set distance from the edge. If you take the onlay off (that would have been my choice), there really is a mess of holes and screw heads. At some point I’ll replace the onlay with jigged bone or something. And then this knife with the filework and gentleman’s lines really needed a crowned spine.

All of that said, it still remains my most carried Spyderco. Maybe I need a preneeded replacement before they are all gone ...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpyderNut wrote:The only minor thing I’d mention is that it is a bit on the heavy side.
Heavy side? Seriously? For gentleman like you? Can you, please refresh my memory, you are this tiny, small guy, who is only only 6' 4" right? :D

Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Thanks for the feedback everybody. The Kopa would be my ideal gents knife. I wish they were readily available as I def would have selected that over the Memory. The knives I ordered should be here tomorrow so I guess I'll get to handle them soon and decide for myself.

The picture of the black micarta calypso looks awesome. That would have also fit the bill but I doubt I can find two NIB ones for a reasonable price.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wrong handed lock, no 50/50 choil or even any kind of a guard to prevent my hand from making contact with the "all edge" blade, slick metal handle with gaudy looking "blob" scale on one side only (which will get replaced by bone or ivory one of these days). Nearly everything I normally don't like wrapped up in one tidy little package.

And yet, despite all that and despite having at least 100 knives that are more "me", one of them lives on my computer desk. It gets used more often than most of the knives I carry, and even sees occasional pocket time when I'm headed into Greenville with its 3" blade limit. Hope yours brings you as much enjoyment as mine has brought me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Wrong handed lock, no 50/50 choil or even any kind of a guard to prevent my hand from making contact with the "all edge" blade, slick metal handle with gaudy looking "blob" scale on one side only (which will get replaced by bone or ivory one of these days). Nearly everything I normally don't like wrapped up in one tidy little package.

And yet, despite all that and despite having at least 100 knives that are more "me", one of them lives on my computer desk. It gets used more often than most of the knives I carry, and even sees occasional pocket time when I'm headed into Greenville with its 3" blade limit. Hope yours brings you as much enjoyment as mine has brought me.
Paul,

It is funny that you brought it up.
I didn't like Memory for about the same reasons; It has too many features, which I in general do not like: no choil, tip down only carry, smooth metal frame, glass fiber. I bought it only due to peer pressure from Ken. I started to love since I opened the box. Great knife.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm still in search of the C25 Centofante models that have always caught my eye.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Centofante models are really nice, but for a Gentleman's folder for a wedding, I think light is right. I would go for a nice Chaparral or a Caly3 (if you can find one) or Caly 3.5.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050