Love to see in frn, any others?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cangokaw

Love to see in frn, any others?

Post by cangokaw »

Love to see the following in frn.
c54 calypso
c58 jd smith
c67 r nishijin
have all 3 in heavy weight versions. love the ergo's.
think they would be great to have in lightweight linerless frn.
smoother finnish like c66 cenofante 3, or slight texture as c38 jess horn lightweight.
all with wire clips.
p.s. c01 worker would also be great.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Love to see in frn, any others?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I agree with all of your choices. I want to see Spyderco make a new generation of the original Worker, with a FRN handle.

Please, sal, please :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote: I want to see Spyderco make a new generation of the original Worker, with a FRN handle.

That's a great idea.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

caly 3, lil native, shaman, para 3
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote: I want to see Spyderco make a new generation of the original Worker, with a FRN handle.

I'd love this too. The Worker's a part of history, and I'd love to see it periodically pulled back.

This is a bit odd, but I'd *love* to see an FRN Spydiechef. With the LC200N, it'd be a neat model.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Caly 3
Worker
Police 4
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
vivi

Post by vivi »

Swick 3 / Swick 3 XL in LC or BD1 with FRN scales and a minmal sheath.

Police. (Already in the works :D)

Tatanka.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

NickShabazz wrote:

I'd love this too. The Worker's a part of history, and I'd love to see it periodically pulled back.

This is a bit odd, but I'd *love* to see an FRN Spydiechef. With the LC200N, it'd be a neat model.
FRN Spydiechef would be neat. Wonder if liner locks can be made out of LC like the comp lock on the Caribbean?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

NickShabazz wrote:

The worker is far to pointy to be a volume seller these days. And volume is needed to justify new FRN molds.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'd love FRN to some of the heavy, linered and super corrosion resistant ones, so...

- FRN Caribbean, Spydiechef
- FRN Police 4, Tatanka, Calypso, Civilian, Superhawk, Ayoob, Lum Tanto
vivi

Post by vivi »

zhyla wrote:
NickShabazz wrote:

The worker is far to pointy to be a volume seller these days. And volume is needed to justify new FRN molds.
I wonder why pointy tips get poor reception? I find them infinitely more useful.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I suspect that, at least for the Calypso and R, if Spyderco did make FRN versions, they'd have liners. Otherwise, too many folks would whine about flex. Personally, I'd rather see unlined micarta, or polished G-10 on all three of them. I suspect an FRN Calypso would turn out at least as heavy, if not heavier, than the 3.12 oz original unlined micarta one.
zhyla wrote:The worker is far to pointy to be a volume seller these days. And volume is needed to justify new FRN molds.
Unless they went really old school and dredged up the mold for the FRN ProGrip.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A linerless G10 R would make me very, very happy.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cangokaw

Post by cangokaw »

don't find my linerless frn knives have too much flex, even my atlantic salt with handle cut outs is solid.
c54 calypso gained weight when i came out as a sprint, with full steel back.
think going to to frn linerless would weigh about the same as micarta.
just looking at what happened to the c16 goddard when it went from
micarta to frn without liner, it actualy lost weight.
ps everyone needs more than one knife, and at least one with a pointy tip.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Manix2 XL Lightweight FRCP

Sage CBBL FRN/FRCP
Last edited by abbazaba on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Then I have a project idea for us forumites here who want to see more FRN. Let's try to think up some way for the knife industry to where FRN FIberglass Reinforced Nylon can be made WITHOUT THE NEED For injection molding systems. Think this through: There has got to be a way to form the polymer and the glass fiber matrix and put it together without the need for expensive injection molding systems. This would revolutionize knife making and other industries. Then it would cost less for companies like Spyderco to produce knife handles where you have to be able to justify the expense of thousands of them, you can make smaller batches. This would also open up materials like FRN and FRCP and Kraton to custom and hand knife makers, who so far are limited to natural materials and what I call "secondary synthetics" such as neoprene and other rubbers. There has got to be a way to do this and I believe we in this forum have the brain power to achieve it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

cangokaw wrote:don't find my linerless frn knives have too much flex, even my atlantic salt with handle cut outs is solid.
c54 calypso gained weight when i came out as a sprint, with full steel back.
think going to to frn linerless would weigh about the same as micarta.
just looking at what happened to the c16 goddard when it went from
micarta to frn without liner, it actualy lost weight.
ps everyone needs more than one knife, and at least one with a pointy tip.
I understand what you're saying but, realistically, the molds to make FRN handles are very expensive, and I doubt FRN versions of any of the three models you mentioned would sell enough units for Spyderco to recoup that expense.

As for flex, I totally agree with you, but there are others who complain about the least little bit of flex.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Deacon wrote:I suspect that, at least for the Calypso and R, if Spyderco did make FRN versions, they'd have liners. Otherwise, too many folks would whine about flex. Personally, I'd rather see unlined micarta, or polished G-10 on all three of them. I suspect an FRN Calypso would turn out at least as heavy, if not heavier, than the 3.12 oz original unlined micarta one.
zhyla wrote:The worker is far to pointy to be a volume seller these days. And volume is needed to justify new FRN molds.
Unless they went really old school and dredged up the mold for the FRN ProGrip.
Second Micarta / polished G10. Whole-heartedly! I have a sneaking suspicion **** will freeze over before we see a Micarta Spydie though..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Then I have a project idea for us forumites here who want to see more FRN. Let's try to think up some way for the knife industry to where FRN FIberglass Reinforced Nylon can be made WITHOUT THE NEED For injection molding systems. Think this through: There has got to be a way to form the polymer and the glass fiber matrix and put it together without the need for expensive injection molding systems. This would revolutionize knife making and other industries. Then it would cost less for companies like Spyderco to produce knife handles where you have to be able to justify the expense of thousands of them, you can make smaller batches. This would also open up materials like FRN and FRCP and Kraton to custom and hand knife makers, who so far are limited to natural materials and what I call "secondary synthetics" such as neoprene and other rubbers. There has got to be a way to do this and I believe we in this forum have the brain power to achieve it.
Only one small problem: you don't know anything about any of that :). You need molds to pour resin.

The SLA 3d printers can print some types of resins. I don't think any of the resins for this are glass reinforced though. But there may be a resin that is both SLA compatible and makes a decent knife handle. But the per-part cost will be fairly high since 3d printing is so slow.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

R & Worker.