Taping blades before aggressive reprofiling

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Taping blades before aggressive reprofiling

Post by VashHash »

Lately when I use a coarse aggressive stone I've been covering a good bit of the blade with masking tape. I've found scratches from sharpening and this helps to stop it. I know eventually the blade will get scratched but i like to limit it some to actual use. It's done mainly when I'm reprofiling an edge to a lower angle. Does anyone else do something like this?
farnorthdan

Re: Taping blades before aggressive reprofiling

Post by farnorthdan »

Absolutely, found out the hard way what course swarth can do to a blade, specifically DLC coated, not as scratch resistant as I thought, pretty much toasted my DLC camo PM2 by not taping the blade.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Yep, absolutely. Learned the hard way...
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't but I probably should. I scratch the tip area pretty bad when I reprofile,just haven't learned to care :p
:unicorn