Spyderco Alcyone, a great job

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Spyderco Alcyone, a great job

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I need to pick both of these up. I know a ton of 'borderline' knife folks who are just about ready to escape the really cheap stuff. I'd love to have these on hand as 'lenders' to show people what American steel and Spyderco performance really feels like.

They do get to handle stuff like my dice and southard, but tend to balk at the price. Thus, having something that's affordable yet still spyderco is very valuable.

Adding this to my new year's resolutions :P
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Joris Mo wrote:Although I'm not a fan of linerlocks I'm very happy to have both the Alcyone and the Polestar and with a choice of over 100 blades (mostly Spydies) these actually get used quite a bit.
The G10 is great on these, very good structure to get some decent grip but not eat up your pockets and also quite well 'camouflaged' in jeans.
If these would be available with backlock they could be all time favourites for me, if you don't mind linerlocks too much you're missing out not trying these. If you do mind them you might still want to try one just to make sure.. ;)

Btw, I think these are way better quality & design than the Tenacious.
Could you tell how thin behind the edge is the Alcyone ? I am about to purchase one and this could push me over the edge...or not
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

elena86 wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Although I'm not a fan of linerlocks I'm very happy to have both the Alcyone and the Polestar and with a choice of over 100 blades (mostly Spydies) these actually get used quite a bit.
The G10 is great on these, very good structure to get some decent grip but not eat up your pockets and also quite well 'camouflaged' in jeans.
If these would be available with backlock they could be all time favourites for me, if you don't mind linerlocks too much you're missing out not trying these. If you do mind them you might still want to try one just to make sure.. ;)

Btw, I think these are way better quality & design than the Tenacious.
Could you tell how thin behind the edge is the Alcyone ? I am about to purchase one and this could push me over the edge...or not
Sorry, have been looking for my digital caliper but can't find it.
Usually use my analog ones for most stuff, not as accurate but I'd say it comes to about 0,5mm behind the edge.
Definitely a great slicer! :)
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

I'm going to have to snag one just for the handle material. I also like that it has US steel for a small price bump over the tenacious. Thanks for this design Sal, she's purty.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Oh and thank you OP for starting this thread; very under appreciated knife imo, only just learned about them last week.

-Henry David Thoreau
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

Other purchases have taken priority, but the Polestar and Alcyone are still 'on the list,' so to speak. If the blade steel were to roll over to BD1N - as Sal has suggested may eventually happen - without a price increase, they would shoot up to the top of list.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Anyone here that can compare these with the Tenacious? What’s my extra $20 buying me other than some prettier G-10?
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

zhyla wrote:Anyone here that can compare these with the Tenacious? What’s my extra $20 buying me other than some prettier G-10?
Better jimping, beautiful g10, USA steel... those alone worth $20 easy imo but there might be more as I haven't bought one yet, and don't plan to own a tenacious.

-Henry David Thoreau
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

TriggerThumb wrote:Better jimping, beautiful g10, USA steel... those alone worth $20 easy imo but there might be more as I haven't bought one yet, and don't plan to own a tenacious.
Thanks, but I'm looking for hands-on opinions. Curious why you think "USA" steel is a selling point? BD1 is just a moderate improvement over 8Cr from my limited experience and from what I've read. I'd pay an extra $5 for BD1 over 8Cr, but not $10.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

zhyla wrote:
TriggerThumb wrote:Better jimping, beautiful g10, USA steel... those alone worth $20 easy imo but there might be more as I haven't bought one yet, and don't plan to own a tenacious.
Thanks, but I'm looking for hands-on opinions. Curious why you think "USA" steel is a selling point? BD1 is just a moderate improvement over 8Cr from my limited experience and from what I've read. I'd pay an extra $5 for BD1 over 8Cr, but not $10.
I don't really care about the 'made in the USA' thing but I do really like this steel and mainly feel this model has a far better fit and finish over the Tenacious as well as at least to my hands a much better design.
I might not have ever tried it if I hadn't gotten it as a gift and nearly gave it away to someone else before I had tried it but I'm a fan now even though I don't prefer linerlocks.
Also got the Alcyone because I liked this so much, it's also very nice but the Polestar's size does suit me better.