sal wrote:Hi Jousmit,
Welcome to our forum.
Thanx much for the pics and kind words. It's funny, I spent more than a year refining the Polestar and Alcyone designs. Nice designs, nice materials, USA made steel, affordable price, and yet, little traction?
A good design is one element in having good reception. The rest I guess would be marketing, and the value it’s being perceived, at the price range.
Not saying I know better but several observations:
- BD1 is ranked lowest in Ankerson’s test, it won’t help in forums, but not sure how it affects non forums buyer
- At the price range, probably people more used to Tenacious or Persistence more, or probably because they have been available longer. One example is Stretch, it’s priced higher, but one gets shorter blade, a lot of people (who goes by pictures, specs) will jump for Endura instead, see next point
- Not able to hold a knife before purchasing is not helping either, it might be fantastic but people won’t know until they get it in their hands.
- I have not used BD1 often enough (CS XL), so can only say it comes very sharp. Probably can try other smaller models.
- Lock: I prefer lockback. The only liner lock I still keep is GB1 (and some old CRKT, Enlan, but I don’t EDC them)
Probably if all these good designs are lockback I might give it a try (Raven, Crow, Polestar, Alcyone). They look good and likely feel good but for the lock ... and ...
- Having liner lock release cutout doesn’t help to convince me buying but you know that already
- Cost, which hinders tryouts, if I buy one, shipping and FX conversion making trying expensive if I ended up not liking it.
Just some thoughts, both general and my preference/situation specifically.