HELP PLEASE - New Collection ideas - appreciate some input.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MGN

Re: HELP PLEASE - New Collection ideas - appreciate some input.

Post by MGN »

ross8425 wrote:
MGN wrote:
Tdog wrote:Welcome to the forum. If you don't already have a Para 2, you should. Available in many steels and a great design. The compression lock is too fine. All the Sage knives are excellent. The Dragonfly though smaller is a "little big knife" The Caly's are also great. Enjoy
Seems to be a consensus on the Para 2 - what about the 3?
I had 1 para 3 but it was not for me. Para 2 is my hands down favorite folder and this just felt like a smaller handled, less cutting edge para 2 (which it is supposed to be). If I want that , I would carry my native. However, I may opt for some para 3 sprints.

Honeslty either one is awesome but for me, the 2 is hard to beat.

If you have no restrictions , get both and decide. :)
Thanks for you reply Ross8425 - I love the Native - fits perfectly - Does the Para 2 fit the same way in your hand?
Marc

- 106 and counting. :)

Today one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to govern - and both commonly succeed, and both are right. :eek:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.(Edmund Burke)

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. (Voltaire)
MGN

Post by MGN »

MGN wrote:
ross8425 wrote:
MGN wrote:
Tdog wrote:Welcome to the forum. If you don't already have a Para 2, you should. Available in many steels and a great design. The compression lock is too fine. All the Sage knives are excellent. The Dragonfly though smaller is a "little big knife" The Caly's are also great. Enjoy
Seems to be a consensus on the Para 2 - what about the 3?
I had 1 para 3 but it was not for me. Para 2 is my hands down favorite folder and this just felt like a smaller handled, less cutting edge para 2 (which it is supposed to be). If I want that , I would carry my native. However, I may opt for some para 3 sprints.

Honeslty either one is awesome but for me, the 2 is hard to beat.

If you have no restrictions , get both and decide. :)
Thanks for you reply Ross8425 - I love the Native - fits perfectly - Does the Para 2 fit the same way in your hand?
Secondly...Fortunately in AZ we don't have to deal with some of the RESTRICTIONS as in other States.
Marc

Today one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to govern - and both commonly succeed, and both are right. :eek:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.(Edmund Burke)

MGN

Post by MGN »

ZrowsN1s wrote:If you're looking for a user and something uniquely spyderco, check out the "salt" knives. I'm super exited for the upcoming native salt (I too am a native fan), and in my humble opinion no spyder collection is complete without an H1 SE hawkbill of some kind :D (they come in extra small, small, meduim, and they're doing a sprint of the large ones soon) (ladybug, dragonfly, tasman, spyderhawk)
"ZrowsN1s" - Thanks for your reply. Salt line is on my list and you are right they are pretty unique, I like H1 steel (don't own any yet).

I LOVE the Native Line and will get the Native Salt - just because :D

**What are the advantages of the FRN scales? - I am just not a big fan of FRN scales they seem to be tough on pockets etc. I have a Native 5 Lightweight with FRN Scales that I have a hard time carrying in my pocket.

FYI- I just took possession of a Mule Team 25 - (LC200N) that I am going to play with :) :D - LC200N is "SUPPOSED" to be better than H1 for holding an edge. "SurfGringo" and "Sal" have had a fair bit to say about this steel and I believe I have seen here in the Forum and in the knife news publications that Spyderco may start using this steel on the Salts.
Marc

SharpieB

Post by SharpieB »

MGN wrote:
SharpieB wrote:I love my Para 3 Camo and ordered a 2nd in black. My favourite Spyderco just behind the Manix 2.

Amazing ergonomics for me but I would strongly suggest handling one before buying. My kids (20/22) really dislike how the P3 feels in their hands, but it is perfect for me.
Many Thanks for the input SharpieB. I will go to a Cutlery shop and handle them. By way of reference the Native 5 is extremely comfortable in my hand.
Cool.

Funny enough, I just ordered a Native 5 today. I actually have never held one, so interested to see how I like it vs. My Para 3’s.
MGN

Post by MGN »

SharpieB wrote:
MGN wrote:
SharpieB wrote:I love my Para 3 Camo and ordered a 2nd in black. My favourite Spyderco just behind the Manix 2.

Amazing ergonomics for me but I would strongly suggest handling one before buying. My kids (20/22) really dislike how the P3 feels in their hands, but it is perfect for me.
Many Thanks for the input SharpieB. I will go to a Cutlery shop and handle them. By way of reference the Native 5 is extremely comfortable in my hand.
Cool.

Funny enough, I just ordered a Native 5 today. I actually have never held one, so interested to see how I like it vs. My Para 3’s.
Well thats really cool...Its a pretty heavy duty knife, unless you got the light weight, but even then its going to take a heck of a lot of abuse.

My Natives are all 5's in CPMS35VN and CPMS110V, I think you will really like them.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW IT FEELS AS COMPARED TO MANIX AND PARA3.
Marc

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

MGN wrote:.....
**What are the advantages of the FRN scales? - I am just not a big fan of FRN scales they seem to be tough on pockets etc. I have a Native 5 Lightweight with FRN Scales that I have a hard time carrying in my pocket.

FYI- I just took possession of a Mule Team 25 - (LC200N) that I am going to play with :) :D - LC200N is "SUPPOSED" to be better than H1 for holding an edge. "SurfGringo" and "Sal" have had a fair bit to say about this steel and I believe I have seen here in the Forum and in the knife news publications that Spyderco may start using this steel on the Salts.
The main advantage to FRN is it is lightweight, durable, and lowers long term production costs, I personally find frn easier on my pockets than g-10 but your mileage may vary.
LC200N has better plain edge retention (in my opinion) than H1. I'm really looking forward to the native salt :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Nate

Post by Nate »

MGN wrote:
Nate wrote:
Many Thanks Nate - Appreciate the pictures. Regarding Chaparral family - I have medium hands so how do they fit....

Not sure specifically what some of the knives are in your picture - I think there is a Manix, perhaps you could be more specific on what your knives were.

Many Thanks

I am trying to add the Pics....so here goes.
In the first pic it's a Military, Sliverax, Para 2, Caly 3.5, and Manix 2.

I have average sized hands and most Spyderco handles feel great to me. Here's another pic of some smaller knives:

Top to bottom: UKPK, Native 5 lw, Calypso Jr, Chaparral

I don't have any Benchmades to compare them to, but the Chaparral is pretty similar to a smaller, slimmer Native.
:spyder:
MGN

Post by MGN »

ZrowsN1s wrote:

The main advantage to FRN is it is lightweight, durable, and lowers long term production costs, I personally find frn easier on my pockets than g-10 but your mileage may vary.
LC200N has better plain edge retention (in my opinion) than H1. I'm really looking forward to the native salt :D
Do you find FRN to provide more grip when covered with fish slime, blood etc.

I will try carrying the Native 5 lightweight a bit more and see....thanks for the input.
Marc

MGN

Post by MGN »

Nate wrote:
MGN wrote:
Nate wrote:
Many Thanks Nate - Appreciate the pictures. Regarding Chaparral family - I have medium hands so how do they fit....

Not sure specifically what some of the knives are in your picture - I think there is a Manix, perhaps you could be more specific on what your knives were.

Many Thanks

I am trying to add the Pics....so here goes.
In the first pic it's a Military, Sliverax, Para 2, Caly 3.5, and Manix 2.

I have average sized hands and most Spyderco handles feel great to me. Here's another pic of some smaller knives:

Top to bottom: UKPK, Native 5 lw, Calypso Jr, Chaparral

I don't have any Benchmades to compare them to, but the Chaparral is pretty similar to a smaller, slimmer Native.
Nate,
Thanks for all the great info and picture description... I can see that my Spidey collection is going to be expanding very quickly.

If money was no object it would be easy.....just buy them all !!!! :D

Again many thanks, have a safe and happy New Year.
Marc

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Do you find FRN to provide more grip when covered with fish slime, blood etc.

I will try carrying the Native 5 lightweight a bit more and see....thanks for the input.
Personally I prefer g-10 for grip, but frn will be easier to clean :D The bi-directional texture on the frn is pretty good, actually. I don't have any problems holding on to it when it's wet or greasy.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MGN

Post by MGN »

Cool.... I'm going to play with mine in the kitchen with vegetables and cooking oil and meat
Marc

mountainguy

Post by mountainguy »

Get the Spyderco Lil' Native! I just got it, and it is awesome! S30V
MGN

Post by MGN »

mountainguy wrote:Get the Spyderco Lil' Native! I just got it, and it is awesome! S30V
Good Morning....I have been looking at it hard and was waiting for some feed back. Did you get the one with the compression lock or the back lock? I have many back locks but I do not have a compression lock so I was wondering about your input on that mechanism
Marc