PPT CF Sprint - liner material?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpeedHoles

PPT CF Sprint - liner material?

Post by SpeedHoles »

I am simply wondering, will the upcoming PPT CF S90V Sprint have titanium liners? Or are they the same steel liners as the other variations?

Reason I ask is because I really do like this design, but the version I have is quite heavy for the size of the knife.
Keeps it out of my pocket most of the time...
Lighter weight ti liners would definitely bump it up a notch for me and make me look closer at buying this one instead.
Going back to Caly.
Mushroom

Re: PPT CF Sprint - liner material?

Post by Mushroom »

I'm guessing it will have steel liners still.
The catalog reads "This limited edition Sprint Run of the PPT combines all the defining features of the original with stunning solid carbon fiber scales and a CPM S90V blade." - Which I understood as the only changes were to the scales and blade steel. No mention of titanium liners, unfortunately.

Either way, this one is at the top of my list! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Yeah, was my guess as well, but just wanted to clarify.

I'll probably pass then.
Going back to Caly.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah I was hoping it would be made with titanium as well since I’ve heard that the original custom was made with titanium. The difference in weight between g10 and carbon fiber isn’t much is it? So the sprint will probably be not much lighter than the original.

For the record, I’d pay extra for titanium on this model. Yes, carbon fiber, titanium and S90V would fetch a pretty penny, but why go the extra steps to stop short of perfection?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Yeah I was hoping it would be made with titanium as well since I’ve heard that the original custom was made with titanium. The difference in weight between g10 and carbon fiber isn’t much is it? So the sprint will probably be not much lighter than the original.

For the record, I’d pay extra for titanium on this model. Yes, carbon fiber, titanium and S90V would fetch a pretty penny, but why go the extra steps to stop short of perfection?

If I'm not mistaken, the price is already set higher than, say the SpydieChef just for example, with titanium handle (no CF), and same manufacturer... Not an apples to apples comparison off the top of my head, but 227 MAP is getting up there in the range for a Taiwan produced knife.

I still have a bit of hope, but won't be shocked if it isn't the case.

It would take this knife from being just "pretty nice", to, "yep, that's going in my pocket today for a choppin good time".
Going back to Caly.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I agree, the heavy handle is what needs fixing on this model. I'm surprised that this model is getting its second sprint. How about a sprint run of the original Gayle Bradley?
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

ABX2011 wrote:I agree, the heavy handle is what needs fixing on this model. I'm surprised that this model is getting its second sprint. How about a sprint run of the original Gayle Bradley?
Yes, please, but what steel would you like?

I have the first PPT for a couple of months now, bought on the secondary market. I love it, it has perfect ergos and opening-closing action. The deepcarry clip is perfect and total package fits me like an italian leather glove. I am really looking forward to this S90V sprintrun, that is a musthave for 2018! Thanks Spyderco for making this one possible.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

toomzz wrote:
ABX2011 wrote:I agree, the heavy handle is what needs fixing on this model. I'm surprised that this model is getting its second sprint. How about a sprint run of the original Gayle Bradley?
Maybe go with CPM-4V with a DLC coating.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

ABX2011 wrote:
toomzz wrote:
Maybe go with CPM-4V with a DLC coating.
Nice plan, and then with lightning strike CF.......
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I almost bought a custom one mainly because I find the unnecessary weight annoying on an otherwise very close to perfect knife.

Still carry mine a lot, RFP as I type today.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

This S90V PPT variant came from nowhere but it's great news for me :spyder: .I own the black one and I love it :cool: . This one and the Calypso jr. are the only "must have" for me in 2018. My only problem is : should I get two ? :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

elena86 wrote:This S90V PPT variant came from nowhere but it's great news for me :spyder: .I own the black one and I love it :cool: . This one and the Calypso jr. are the only "must have" for me in 2018. My only problem is : should I get two ? :eek:
I'm wondering the same thing and I'm leaning more towards the side of - Yes!
-Nick :bug-red
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

For the record, the liners on the PPT Carbon Fiber Sprint are stainless.

Stay safe,

Mike
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Michael Janich wrote:For the record, the liners on the PPT Carbon Fiber Sprint are stainless.

Stay safe,

Mike

Thanks for chiming in and clarifying, Mike, I appreciate that.
Going back to Caly.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Michael Janich wrote:For the record, the liners on the PPT Carbon Fiber Sprint are stainless.

Stay safe,

Mike
Is it too late to switch production to titanium liners and backspacer? I would gladly pay more for the perfect PPT. And making it lighter would honestly make the design pure perfection. Just my 2-cents.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It seems these types of requests always come up when new sprints or exclusives are announced: requests to change the lock type, to change the handle proportions a titch, to switch liners to a different material than what was used on the last iteration(s) of that model. These runs change handle (scale) materials and blade steels ONLY nearly 100% of the time. Changing things too drastically makes it a new model (or version number at least), this is not how sprints/exclusives work...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Ti liners wouldn't make much of a weight difference on the PPT unless you also changed that chunky steel backspacer as well. I'd think the best bet for weight reduction would be changing the backspacer to CF or using standoffs.

The PPT would have been one of my favorites if it wasn't so dang heavy.

Last edited by senorsquare on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

double post
vernonremington

Post by vernonremington »

Just snagged one from River’s Edge. Seems like there hasn’t been as much love for this like the other recent sprints. I’ll take this a Para 3 sprint or Manix all day.

Sculpted carbon feels great. Blade looks like a good combo of utility and self defense.

Looks like Tashi Bharucha was influenced by this blade shape in his designs.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

PPT has stainless steel liners and the Sprint CF weighs 4.82 oz. compared to 5.20 oz. for the past G-10 models.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln