What's you're biggest folding knife pet peeve?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Biggest folder pet peeve?

Blade play (horizonal and vertical)
50%
Off centered
11%
Carry options
6%
Detent
8%
Other (please explain)
26%

Total votes: 90

Whitetail addict

What's you're biggest folding knife pet peeve?

Post by Whitetail addict »

Blade play drives me bonkers!
@martial_logan on the instagram.
xceptnl

Re: What's you're biggest folding knife pet peeve?

Post by xceptnl »

Blade play or lock movement for me. I am OCD about many things in my life, but offcentering or asymmetrical grinds I can live with. Lock rock I can't. The slight amount in the Caly line is about at my threshold
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
seber

Post by seber »

Any blade play and the knife goes into the trash.
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Carry options. I carry knives in my left pocket but I am right handed. This is why I do not own a Chris Reeve. I'd have to a left handed one, but then the lock would be backwards.

I also like tip down, but that isn't a deal breaker. This is why I usually carry a PM2 or a native.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Blade play, although I have been lucky
Pocket shredder G10
A wonky clip (only the original Lil Temp comes to mind)
Positioning of the clip, preference for low ride (Dyad has half the knife sticking out)
Fit and finish
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

That first little scratch on a pristine knife.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DutchBlades wrote:That first little scratch on a pristine knife.
Buy them lightly used... makes that first one hurt less
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I chose blade play but I don't necessarily like off centered blade or a really weak detent either.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Off center and weak detent for me, unfortunately two of my favorite :spyder:'s have weak detent, Nirvana and Schempp Bowie. :(
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blade play to an extent, if it takes a firm giggle to make any blade play I can live with that but as long as I don't feel it in use I'm ok. I really don't like blades being off center, but I can usually dial it out so it's not a big deal. I think I'm more bothered by uneven blade grinds and things that I can't adjust on my own.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

A *slight* amount of blade play I can deal with, if I love the particular knife. That being said it's the thing that bothers me the most, and if I feel it in use then it crosses the line from being annoying, to unacceptable.

Lock stick really rubs me the wrong way too, again if it's just a little bit it doesn't bother me at all, but if there is an audible click when I disengage the lock that drives me bonkers.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Well, Interesting question. I can deal with a slight bit of blade play if it means good action, and I can deal wit a slight bit of of centered blade if it means the lock up is solid. I guess of these options I have to pick carry options? not a big deal either, but of those on the list, if there was no tip up option I am probably going to pass. Ultimately I can deal with one of these, but won't put up with a combo of them.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Blade play seems to bother me the most. I don't mind if the blade is a little off center, but there is definitely a point that I will consider unacceptable.
-Nick :bug-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I try not to sweat anything and I never have great expectations. Probably because it's my nature and secondly because I reckon I could count on one hand the knives I've bought that didn't need some rework. That said, bad fit and vertical blade play annoy me most. Hence my aversion to back locks. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Detents. I try to avoid buying knives that use detents, period. I don't trust them to keep a folding knife closed as much as I do something like a lockback.

Another one for me is thumb ramps. Maybe its because I have big hands, but many knives with prominent thumb ramps have terrible ergonomics for me. The thumb ramp is generally too close to the rest of the handle, which doesn't give me thumb enough space.

Blade play, being off centered or uneven grinds don't bother me unless they're really bad. A little blade rub won't matter in the long run, and anything I can sharpen out isn't worth worrying about.
:unicorn
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Bad ergos or a finger shredder keep a knife on the shelf, for me. Blade play gets sent back/away.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Thick blades, thick behind the edge grinds, and thick tips. I don't expect any knife that folds to be truly hard-use oriented. Instead, I expect them to cut really well. I'm too often disappointed.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Obtuse bevels bug me. I don't mind reprofiling a new knife but I am annoyed when it is big chore due to an unnecessarily obtuse bevel.

Blade play caused by the lock as well as lock stick. I can handle a little tiny bit of side to side play but lock rock and sticky locks bug me. I like solid lockup with no sticking.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Not sharp! :mad:
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I'll mention my usual annoyances: too-thick blade stock and chunky grinds. But those are mostly design issues rather than quality issues. As far as quality control goes, substandard OOTB edges are kind of annoying. It doesn't have to shave, but if I pay $150 for a knife and it can't pass the paper test, I'm less than impressed. I'm looking at you, Roc.

I haven't had any issues with blade play or centering, but most of my folders are on the pricey side so I can't say if that's a matter of luck or getting what you pay for. That said, I've had no issues with the cheaper FRN Spydercos I've purchased.