What's you're biggest folding knife pet peeve?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Biggest folder pet peeve?

Blade play (horizonal and vertical)
50%
Off centered
11%
Carry options
6%
Detent
8%
Other (please explain)
26%

Total votes: 90

Brock O Lee

Re: What's you're biggest folding knife pet peeve?

Post by Brock O Lee »

Bill1170 wrote:
gaj999 wrote:Thick blades, thick behind the edge grinds, and thick tips. I don't expect any knife that folds to be truly hard-use oriented. Instead, I expect them to cut really well. I'm too often disappointed.
This. Knives are for cutting. Spyderco typically does a good job with this.
Same here, I find thick grinds on most pocket knives very annoying. At least I can fix it with a reprofile/convex, even if it takes a few hours of effort.

Another pet peeve is sharp handle corners, like we often see on the Native G10 and PM2. If I had my way all knives would have rounded handles like the Shaman. It is thin enough to carry well and very comfortable in hand at the same time.

Real showstoppers for me are safety issues like lock slip/vertical play, and weak detent.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I voted other. Some knives don't carry well due to clip position/type and they just don't get carried

Never had any of the other issues with my Spydercos
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Bill1170 wrote:
gaj999 wrote:Thick blades, thick behind the edge grinds, and thick tips. I don't expect any knife that folds to be truly hard-use oriented. Instead, I expect them to cut really well. I'm too often disappointed.
This. Knives are for cutting. Spyderco typically does a good job with this.
Same here, I find thick grinds on most pocket knives very annoying.
+3
I hate thick blades and thick edges, especially on small knives.
I also hate knives, which difficult to open or close or both.
Hate sticky locks.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Vivi wrote:I like the dent. Makes it easier to feel where to put my thumb when I release the lock. Doesn't matter to me how it looks.
This is true. I feel the same way about jimping on some knives, gives me an index to where my finger is on the knife.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

For me it's people who consider minor cosmetic issues on anything except a collection piece a big deal. There's a post (not here) where some guy's complaining about the "horribly uneven atrocious bevel grind" on his Maxamet PM2. I've seen horribly uneven from other companies and his knife doesn't qualify. The bevels on my Maxamet PM2 are similar and I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't taken a close look.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ball bearings, plastic washers, smooth metal handles, liner locks, and finger biters (a blade that will cut your index finger on an accidental close or lock fail).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

You know, the more I think about it, size is another one.

I've let go of countless knives, because they ended up being smaller than I wanted. Even my very first Spyderco.

I can't recall ever feeling like a folding knife was too big, but there are many knives I pass on for no other reason than they feel too small.
:unicorn
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

I hate non-discreet writing on the blades, or any writing on the scales.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Liner locks. So many knives I pass on because of this. They're everywhere! Why so many? I don't trust them. The Alcyone and Efficient are gorgeous, but they're the ubiquitous liner lock. Back locks, and I'd be all over them.

Compression locks pinch me, so I think they need a redesign.

Love the dent - love back locks.
- best wishes, Jazz.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm with you Jazz. I pass on 95%+ of detent based models across the board, regardless of knife size, maker, blade steel etc. I've got to really, really like the design, and even then I buy knowing it'll see limited carry time like my Millie.

I want to pick up a Polestar but that holds me back. I've been looking for another CTSBD1 folder to use since I like the steel so much.
npad69

Post by npad69 »

Saving up and spending a fortune to buy one just to realize it has been heavily counterfeited and everyone around me is using fakes. I really hate how it makes me look like I'm also using a fake.

(this applies too with all the other authentic stuff I buy, not only with knives)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What drives me more bonkers than blade play, which I hate, is a choil. They get in the way of cutting and catch on everything you try to cut. They rob the knife of handle length and cutting edge length. some knives are great with them, like the Military. However, most knives would be better off without them.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

Any type of lock rock/up and down blade play.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
orangejuice

Post by orangejuice »

Here's my random design pet peeve. It is when the folding knife is closed and there is a gap between the handle and blade. Picture below explains it better.
large_26859_SP-C10ZFPGR-Spyderco-Endura-4-Zome-Green-02.jpg
Drink juice
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Heavily right hand biased knives...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

orangejuice wrote:Here's my random design pet peeve. It is when the folding knife is closed and there is a gap between the handle and blade. Picture below explains it better.

large_26859_SP-C10ZFPGR-Spyderco-Endura-4-Zome-Green-02.jpg
+1
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

Vivi wrote:You know, the more I think about it, size is another one.

I've let go of countless knives, because they ended up being smaller than I wanted. Even my very first Spyderco.

I can't recall ever feeling like a folding knife was too big, but there are many knives I pass on for no other reason than they feel too small.
Lol in my short time here I have notcied that if a knife doesn't have a handle the size of a baseball bat it is too small for you :D :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

ross8425 wrote:
Vivi wrote:You know, the more I think about it, size is another one.

Lol in my short time here I have notcied that if a knife doesn't have a handle the size of a baseball bat it is too small for you :D :D
Well my palms are wide enough I can take a delica or stretch and make it vanish by palming it :p Most things aren't sized for my body, pocket knives are just one of them.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There are many knife designs that are too small for my hand. I quit buying BM because of this issue. They have this insane blade to handle ratio design malfunction so that the handles end up too short for my hand. The 707 and Mini Grip are 3 fingered knives for me. A Delica is a four fingered knife, though my little finger is right at the end. Too short of a handle is a bad thing. Interestingly, the little Urban LW is a pretty fine knife in the hand because the ergonomics are so good. It is a 3 1/2 fingered knife and I am always surprised by that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

God'sMyJudge wrote:I hate non-discreet writing on the blades, or any writing on the scales.
I agree, I would like to see Spyderco go to the simple round logo on more FRN handles, rather than the old oval/peanut shape with the company name/model above/below the logo.

Like so:

:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.