Why no more Autos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Why no more Autos?

Post by Evil D »

spyderwolf wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:Just curious why Spyderco doesnt do autos anymore.I know they are a pain in the *** to carry from the legal stand point,and the sheeple run for the hills when you deploy an auto to peel a orange,i know they are expensive,and hard to make,but they are sooo cool.I think they would sell like there is no tomorrow...
Since when the word designating the body part on which you seat must be censored?
I thought you never ask a question without knowing the answer? ;)

The word filter here needs tweaking. It's a family friendly forum, but there are worse things I've seen slip through than arse.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

The number of valid use cases for autos is greater than zero, hence Spyderco will probably make a knife to fit that use case. This is, after all, a company that makes a whale rescue blade, of all things. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

I have a couple police friends who carry autos. I always challenge them with with my waved Endura. From pocket to blade deployment I win every time....it isn't even close.
I have no need for an auto, but I do get my wants and needs mixed up some times. ;-)

G27
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

For me autos are all about the grin factor. It's definitely not a function issue.

The ZT0770 wins hands down against every auto I've ever owned for grins on opening, though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My interest in an Autonomy has nothing to do with speed for flashy opening, it has to do with reliably opening the knife in a hurry with thick gloves on and reduced fine motor skills. I don't have any problem with opening a thumb hole knife quickly, but even the best of them get more difficult to open if you factor in rain/freezing temps, thick work/winter gloves or stress from a dangerous situation. The glove issue alone is reason enough for me to try one, and this knife was designed with an enlarged button that I should be able to feel through gloves.
~David
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

I only want them because I'm not allowed to have them. Manual Knives with a dialed in detent are way cooler.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:My interest in an Autonomy has nothing to do with speed for flashy opening, it has to do with reliably opening the knife in a hurry with thick gloves on and reduced fine motor skills. I don't have any problem with opening a thumb hole knife quickly, but even the best of them get more difficult to open if you factor in rain/freezing temps, thick work/winter gloves or stress from a dangerous situation. The glove issue alone is reason enough for me to try one, and this knife was designed with an enlarged button that I should be able to feel through gloves.
Do you have a Manix 2?

It's been under 20 F here the past week and I have used mine (outdoors with gloves on) every day, multiple times. The thumb hole is larger than on some of my other Spydies, and it makes it much easier to use with gloves.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TomAiello wrote:
Evil D wrote:My interest in an Autonomy has nothing to do with speed for flashy opening, it has to do with reliably opening the knife in a hurry with thick gloves on and reduced fine motor skills. I don't have any problem with opening a thumb hole knife quickly, but even the best of them get more difficult to open if you factor in rain/freezing temps, thick work/winter gloves or stress from a dangerous situation. The glove issue alone is reason enough for me to try one, and this knife was designed with an enlarged button that I should be able to feel through gloves.
Do you have a Manix 2?

It's been under 20 F here the past week and I have used mine (outdoors with gloves on) every day, multiple times. The thumb hole is larger than on some of my other Spydies, and it makes it much easier to use with gloves.
I do, and it's one of my favorites along with the Military and Salt models as far as large thumb holes go.
~David
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Evil D wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:
spyderwolf wrote:Just curious why Spyderco doesnt do autos anymore.I know they are a pain in the *** to carry from the legal stand point,and the sheeple run for the hills when you deploy an auto to peel a orange,i know they are expensive,and hard to make,but they are sooo cool.I think they would sell like there is no tomorrow...
Since when the word designating the body part on which you seat must be censored?
I thought you never ask a question without knowing the answer? ;)

The word filter here needs tweaking. It's a family friendly forum, but there are worse things I've seen slip through than arse.
When i was growing up,a family friendly evening started with Rambo,and finished with Nightmare on Elm Street ;)
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

I carry autonomy every day in the ER; Sal thanks making such a wonderful tool. I have a lot of auto folders and otfs nothing comes close to the autonomy for hard use as a rescue tool.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chrisjohn,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words.

sal
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I have no desire for this one, along with many others...until I start reading about them. Funny how that power of suggestion kicks in. Or is it power of addiction? :confused: :rolleyes:

The Autonomy looks like a fine tool.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

SalomonA wrote:I live in texas, so we can legally carry s witchblades and/or butterfly knives with blade lengths up to 5 inches. Needless to say I would also like some more auto knives.
I think the general ban on blades longer than 5.5 inches has been lifted as of 9/1/17, except for specific location and age restrictions.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd love to see a FGG wharncliffe version of the Autonomy in LC200N or even a more conventional stainless like S30V, S35VN, or XHP. I'd love to see Spyderco's take on a DE/DA OTF auto even more. Whether potential sales would justify that second one, given the hoops the Feds make Spyderco jump through where autos are concerned, is another matter.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!