compression lock dreams...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Carbon85

compression lock dreams...

Post by Carbon85 »

the compression lock is by far my favorite locking mechanism on any folder...i wish more custom makers would use it

...with that in mind, what models in spyderco's lineup would you like to see with a compression lock other than what they have?

for me it would be a dream to see the following models with compression locks:

native5
wharnie delica
chinook
schempp persian
spyderhawk
spydiechef
Stuart Ackerman

Re: compression lock dreams...

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I need to get a Comp Lock knife to see what I can do, methinks? :)
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:I need to get a Comp Lock knife to see what I can do, methinks? :)
Keep us posted! I love seeing new designs...
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Carbon85

Post by Carbon85 »

any thoughts guys?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

5ED99019-CA2D-4854-B7D9-71F0CF1F3F05.jpeg
Check out Smock Knives SK23
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

I feel like we should have a "Military 2" with the comp lock. Seems like a natural evolution since the PM2 and Para 3 sport it. I'd definitely buy one, the liner lock has prevented me from dropping the coin on a Millie, though I love the rest of the design/size.

Add tip up carry while were at it?
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

Ok, I will be the Devil's Advocate (and speak for some of those who do not like it).
For me, whenever I have tried out a compression lock at a Brick and Mortar, it just does not work for me.
It bites part of my palm while opening over half the time.
And disengaging the Compression lock with the index finger just is not as easy to my level of fine motor skill (and strength, I suspect for others), compared to a thumb disengaged linerlock or midlock.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

BravoTango wrote:I feel like we should have a "Military 2" with the comp lock. Seems like a natural evolution since the PM2 and Para 3 sport it. I'd definitely buy one, the liner lock has prevented me from dropping the coin on a Millie, though I love the rest of the design/size.

The Para 2 was downsized to the Para 3, so I suspect that if they were to make a bigger version with a comp lock it would be a new iteration of the Para and not simply a Military 2, maybe they would call it the Para 4 or something like that. I too am not a fan of liner locks, so pretty much any other lock would be an upgrade for me.
Knife Knut wrote:Ok, I will be the Devil's Advocate (and speak for some of those who do not like it).
For me, whenever I have tried out a compression lock at a Brick and Mortar, it just does not work for me.
It bites part of my palm while opening over half the time.
And disengaging the Compression lock with the index finger just is not as easy to my level of fine motor skill (and strength, I suspect for others), compared to a thumb disengaged linerlock or midlock.
I believe the issues you are describing simply come with lack of experience with the lock. The pinch from engaging the knife can be avoided completely with a different grip. Same with the difficulty with closing the knife with your index finger, just use your thumb instead. I close most of my compressions lock knives the same way I do with a backlock. I use my thumb.

As far as the OP’s question goes, I’d love to see a bob Lum tanto with a comp lock. The compression lock gets used a lot on self defence knives, and I think the Lum would qualify.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
BravoTango wrote:I feel like we should have a "Military 2" with the comp lock. Seems like a natural evolution since the PM2 and Para 3 sport it. I'd definitely buy one, the liner lock has prevented me from dropping the coin on a Millie, though I love the rest of the design/size.

The Para 2 was downsized to the Para 3, so I suspect that if they were to make a bigger version with a comp lock it would be a new iteration of the Para and not simply a Military 2, maybe they would call it the Para 4 or something like that. I too am not a fan of liner locks, so pretty much any other lock would be an upgrade for me.
Paramilitary XL, that'd work!
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Lum Chinese, both large and small.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Resilence
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

The SpydieChef idea sounds primo. I'm not much of a RIL person, but I do really like that knife.
Going back to Caly.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Native 5! Or would it be a Native 6 then?? ;) I think a compression lock would be fun on a Dragonfly as well!
vivi

Post by vivi »

My compression lock dream is to see them incorporate a self close mechanism like the Szabo folder. I'd buy much more of them if they did!
:unicorn
RYNE92

Post by RYNE92 »

I'd like to see a "value" line of folders with comp-locks. Maybe even upgrade the Tenacious to a comp-lock; I'd buy that almost exclusively.

As much as I love my Shaman, there's always that slight fear of losing it either by accident or just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time sort of deal. Not a cheap knife to replace.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I love the compression lock on my larger knives, but I don't think my hands can really work one on anything smaller than the P3. It might work on a Native, but for the most part I like having a good bit of handle behind the lock to stick my wiry fingers to while I pinch the lock. I'd absolutely LOVE a comp lock Military! Love love love! Still waiting for that Caribbean which seems like the perfect size for a compression lock.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."