Police4 FRN ETA

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
m6steen

Police4 FRN ETA

Post by m6steen »

I'm really excited for this knife and wondering what the ETA might be. Anyone else? I didn't see it in the 2018 Product Guide so I'm hoping it makes it in the 2018 Mid Year Supplement.

I've tried the Police 4 G10, but found the full steel liners are a bit sharp and make the knife unbalanced (handle heavy), which a FRN version would improve. A lower price would also be more attractive than the G10 version. The Dragonfly and Stretch FRN prices are 57-58% of the G10 prices, so the Police 4 FRN could have a MSRP and MAP of approximately $170 and $110 compared to $290 and $190 for the G10 version.

Finally, as a lefty whose favorite knife happens to be the Military, I consider the Police 4 a Military Left Hand with the addition of a super steel, a better blade-handle ratio (73% vs. 80%), and slicing performance (3.7 mm vs. 3.0 mm blade). A Military Left Hand sprint?...finally!
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

sal

Re: Police4 FRN ETA

Post by sal »

Hi Mosteen,

I'm with you on the reasons. I really like my FRN pieces.

However, we are just beginning the project and I would guess you and I will have to be patient. Designing, engineering prototyping, tooling must be made, samples made and refined, production prototype approved, schedule for production, actual production, QC in Seki, shipping, QC in Golden....I think you get the idea. Probably a year to delivery.

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am also eager to see this one happen. I am however quite patient and can wait. I would love to know what color it will be and what steel it will come out in.

I am hoping that they stick with K390 and I think that dark blue is fitting seeing as how it is called the Police. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I love g10. Reckon I better get one rather sooner than later.
SharpCdn

Post by SharpCdn »

I am a big fan of the Police line and I really hope that a lightweight FRN version gets off the ground.

Personally, I would like to see the FRN version in a stainless steel, s90v or s110v perhaps. I would also prefer that the handle shape of the FRN version kept the slightly better defined shape of the Police 3 handle. The Police 3 has more defined finger groves/contours that I prefer, such pleasant lines...
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Always wanted a S110V Endura in Midnight Blue FRN.

A S110V Police 4 in Midnight Blue FRN would be awesome.

G10 makes a good work knife, but FRN is better for EDC.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:Hi Mosteen,

However, we are just beginning the project and I would guess you and I will have to be patient. Designing, engineering prototyping, tooling must be made, samples made and refined, production prototype approved, schedule for production, actual production, QC in Seki, shipping, QC in Golden....I think you get the idea. Probably a year to delivery.

sal
Thanks for the info Sal. It's a tough call deciding which release I'm more excited for....FRN Police or the return of the Spyderhawk. Both have been dream releases for years. Thank you for making them both reality. I know they'll be worth the wait!
:unicorn
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Will be well worth the wait, very happy with my Police 4 but prefer FRN on practically any Spydie..
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

shunsui wrote:Always wanted a S110V Endura in Midnight Blue FRN.

A S110V Police 4 in Midnight Blue FRN would be awesome.

G10 makes a good work knife, but FRN is better for EDC.
Agree on the S110V Endura and Police 4!

David
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I've never been a big FRN nut, but I think y'all might be onto something here. The Police 4 is a nice knife, and more variations of it are welcome, especially if they can be had for less. I like the dark blue FRN idea. (Still waiting for a nice navy blue G10 sometime.) I'd like to see some nice stainless steel at some point, but K390 is fine. I'd take one in S30V, seeing as that is a possibility now that Seki is using it. I'd take one in VG10 too.

I'm glad it will take a while, seeing as I spent a good deal this year on Spydies.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Never had a police and I actually really like FRN, so i'll be grabbing one of these for sure!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'm in love with the idea of a "budget Police", as after 4 iterations it's still too highly priced for my knife-spending budget, but I've always wanted one of the "Classic" designs and this one it's the most appealing to me due to shape, blade length and thinness

Good things are worth waiting for!!
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

VG-10 or CTS BD1.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Really hoping the steel stays the same. At this point I'll pretty much buy whatever they put out in K390.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal
What about a 3.5 or so mini Police, Sal ? FRN and K390. Many of us can’t or won’t carry a 4.4 Inch blade !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

I'm in line for the FRN version.
Trying to be patient...
Mike
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The dark blue FRN seems like a perfect combination for a POLICE model. Currently I couldn't be more pleased with the G-10 version, but will surely pick up an FRN as well when they hit the shelves. This would truly be a landmark occasion for Spyderco.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Steelcity,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
phaust

Post by phaust »

elena86 wrote:

sal
What about a 3.5 or so mini Police, Sal ? FRN and K390. Many of us can’t or won’t carry a 4.4 Inch blade !
Looking for that, it might be worth considering an Endura. It's not a perfect mini Police clone, but it sits in that spot pretty well.
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

sal
@sal thanks for the update. Well darn :rolleyes:, I might have to hold on to the G10 version while I wait.
bearfacedkiller wrote:I am also eager to see this one happen. I am however quite patient and can wait. I would love to know what color it will be and what steel it will come out in.

I am hoping that they stick with K390 and I think that dark blue is fitting seeing as how it is called the Police. :)
@bearfacedkiller I'd also like to know what the steel and handle color will be. I'm more interested in what the steel will be and hope that it's K390 or another low Cr steel that will develop character (patina) with use. Some of the suggestions in Sal's Exotic Japanese steels topic would also be nice, especially a Japanese version of CPM M4 like Hitachi's XVC11.

I'd be happy with black FRN, which in addition to the dark blue suggestions would fit the model name, but I'm personally a fan of foliage green.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N