Police4 FRN ETA

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Police4 FRN ETA

Post by abbazaba »

+1 for very dark blue.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I like the dark blue suggestion, good idea
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Dark blue or black would be great. I’d also like to +1 for a saber grind.
sal

Post by sal »

Why a saber grind?

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I will answer that question from my own viewpoint, sal. Saber Grind is the strongest grind aside from the Hamguri grind and the Scandi grind. Flat grinds are pretty strong but not as strong. While there are places for other grinds, I believe with all my heart that one of the greatest achievements you have met with Spyderco was the creation of saber ground versions of knives such as the Delica and Endura. A Police 4 with saber grind and FRN handle would be a "peak" of knives, in my opinion.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I've never been a fan of the saber grinds, they wedge too much when cutting. No matter how sharp the saber grind is the FFG will cut better.

I took my old SG Endura in VG10 and put a hamaguri edge on it. Still just couldn't beat the FFG version.

I ended up giving that SG Endura away to a friend that usually breaks all his knives and it's holding up ok, just not sharp anymore but in one piece.
Between the choosing the comprimises with SG and FFG
I'd rather have cutting performance over durability. Especially with a steel like k390 that can handle lower geometries like a champ. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to see as much of the performance K390 would have to offer.

Just my opinion and thoughts.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
SpyderEdgeForever

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 pm
I've never been a fan of the saber grinds, they wedge too much when cutting. No matter how sharp the saber grind is the FFG will cut better.

I took my old SG Endura in VG10 and put a hamaguri edge on it. Still just couldn't beat the FFG version.

I ended up giving that SG Endura away to a friend that usually breaks all his knives and it's holding up ok, just not sharp anymore but in one piece.
I'd rather have cutting performance over durability. Especially with a steel like k390 that can handle lower geometries like a champ. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to see as much of the performance K390 would have to offer.

Thank you for sharing this. How do you put the hamaguri grind on the Endura like that? What are the tools you use if I may ask? That is so very cool!

Would you be able to do that to a flat ground Endura or would too much material be ground away?

Regarding the Police 4 with FRN: What texture pattern in the FRN grip would you like to see?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

For me a saber grind would be a deal breaker. This is a slicey knife and it should stay that way. To use my formula one analogy; putting a saber grind on this knife would be like putting mud tires on a F1 race car. It would cease to be good at what it was meant to do.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:36 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Thank you for sharing this. How do you put the hamaguri grind on the Endura like that? What are the tools you use if I may ask? That is so very cool!

Would you be able to do that to a flat ground Endura or would too much material be ground away?

Regarding the Police 4 with FRN: What texture pattern in the FRN grip would you like to see?
You select the secondary edge you like 15dps for example then blend the shoulder into the primary grind so that the 15 dps is seemless to the sides of the blade.

Ive used waterstones which has a cool factor to it but belt grinder and buffers make short work of it.

If I had the knife Id share a picture but there are some Fallkniven videos floating around that I did in the past of me doing a zero convex on the stones.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:00 pm
For me a saber grind would be a deal breaker. This is a slicey knife and it should stay that way. To use my formula one analogy; putting a saber grind on this knife would be like putting mud tires on a F1 race car. It would cease to be good at what it was meant to do.
That sums it up nicely Darby. Loved the imagery of a formula 1 car with super swamp boggers. :D
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
yup!
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
ill second that
:unicorn
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Me too. Saber grinds are out for my knives.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SEF,

While I respect your opinion, I'm afraid for this model, which, as I mentioned, is by me for me (I guess I'm being selfish here, but mostly I do for others). I must agree with Darby. I've been an F1 junky since I was 15 (a long time ago....Stirling Moss and Jimmy Clark) and this is a HIGH PERFORMANCE folding cutting tool. Kind of an ultimate. Not following the rules about size, legal, etc. An FRN Police 4 will be tough and very effective, in most areas.

It also more easily permits variations, sprints, etc. I think a very dark blue (like my old VTR 1000) with a stainless blade would be a good variation. I sure others have their preferences?

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I believe dark blue aka "midnight blue" is a very fitting color choice for this model
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:58 pm
Hi SEF,

While I respect your opinion, I'm afraid for this model, which, as I mentioned, is by me for me (I guess I'm being selfish here, but mostly I do for others). I must agree with Darby. I've been an F1 junky since I was 15 (a long time ago....Stirling Moss and Jimmy Clark) and this is a HIGH PERFORMANCE folding cutting tool. Kind of an ultimate. Not following the rules about size, legal, etc. An FRN Police 4 will be tough and very effective, in most areas.

It also more easily permits variations, sprints, etc. I think a very dark blue (like my old VTR 1000) with a stainless blade would be a good variation. I sure others have their preferences?

sal
YES! :D
:unicorn
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'd be interested in this. I think dark blue works very well. Previously Spyderco did a waved Delica in a color that was called "teal" but clearly wasn't teal, much more like what is being described here. It's at 3 o' clock above the "denim blue" Kahr delica on the wheel:

(I also prefer stainless)
SpyderEdgeForever

sal wrote:
Hi SEF,

sal

Thank you for that great explanation, sal, and I completely understand the reason and also why others would not want the saber grind. It seems that this FRN version would be excellent.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm about a week into EDCing the P4.

I'm actually not sure if I'll like the FRN. One of the things that makes this (very large) knife a good EDC for me is that it's sleek. The G-10 isn't too grippy, which is a good thing for me. I wonder if the FRN (which is pretty "grabby" on the way in and out of my pocket, on my M2 LW and Chap) will make the P4 less "carryable" for me. I was actually wondering if I could sand the G-10 to smooth it out, and thinking that something like smooth CF scales would go really well on this knife. I think I now (and it surprises me) totally understand why a knife like this might be better in stainless steel.

I also have a strong preference for a full flat grind (as thin as possible) for this blade, which has great "sliciness".

Oh, and if you want to have a laugh about giant "tactical" blades--I'm loving the fact that this knife is the best folder I've ever used to slice apples--it's long and sleek enough that it's pretty much as good as any kitchen knife I've used, which has never been the case with any of my other folders.

I'm really surprised by how much I'm enjoying this one for EDC. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

sal wrote:
I think a very dark blue (like my old VTR 1000) with a stainless blade would be a good variation. I sure others have their preferences?
I'd love to see it done in the grey/maxamet and blue/s110v combinations that the Native and Manix are available in. Either as a sprint or standard production.

Honestly, I think that K390 is a great choice for this knife, though, and I'd be plenty happy without any other steel choices.

If you were only going to sprint one stainless steel, I think I'd prefer s90v to s110v though, in a blade this size.

Random thought (and I know it would take a lot of market success for the Police to make this really be an option you'd consider) but a smooth Ti Police 4 with a RIL would be fantastic.