Chokwe Dreams

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carpdiem

Re: Chokwe Dreams

Post by carpdiem »

ZDP-189!

That would be absolutely killer!
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

A new Chokwe would be a dream come true, a new Chokwe in super blue would be unbelievable. If this is going to happen, please make it tip up only. Those three unused holes are the only things keeping my current Chokwe from perfection. And please no steel insert. I really don't understand people complaining about lock stick: My Chokwe had it, my Southard had it and my Nirvana had it, but it goes away, just needs some breaking in.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I would certainly be overjoyed to see the Chokwe return, and would be in for more than a couple. :D A brown G10 handle would fit the spirit of the original. Chokwes don't mind the rust, and hate their knives going dull, so a steel like Super Blue or Hap40 with ultra high edge-holding properties wouldn't be out of place in the Chokwe platform.

The original Chokwe fixed blade is larger than the Spyderco version. I had a smaller version (smaller than the Spyderco version) made for myself, which was a fantastic EDC knife. The blacksmith didn't see the point of a smaller knife -- I really had to push him to make me one. He was especially proud of his extra large knives, which were as long as my forearm!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

sal wrote:It would have to be a Japanese steel.

sal
I HAPpen to think that we could find a good one! No cladding please
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

di81ni wrote:A new Chokwe would be a dream come true, a new Chokwe in super blue would be unbelievable. If this is going to happen, please make it tip up only. Those three unused holes are the only things keeping my current Chokwe from perfection. And please no steel insert. I really don't understand people complaining about lock stick: My Chokwe had it, my Southard had it and my Nirvana had it, but it goes away, just needs some breaking in.
I don't worry as much about lock stick as I do about lock life, and more importantly having the insert also act as an over travel stop like the Mantra has. A lock insert could potentially be replaced so the lock will literally last forever or until you sharpen the blade down to nothing. Once a titanium lock face has worn across the tang and bottomed out against the other scale you're pretty much screwed unless you try to peen the lock bar.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Also please polish the G10 ala the Shaman. That is such a nice touch
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

Evil D wrote:Once a titanium lock face has worn across the tang and bottomed out against the other scale you're pretty much screwed unless you try to peen the lock bar.
Ok fair point. Although the Air is the only knife I have had this problem with.
But anyway, steel insert or not, if a new Chokwe is made I'll have at least two :)
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

SpeedHoles wrote:Most definitely in for this!

Such a beauty!
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sal,

Did the idea of a Lil Chokwe put any jam in your jelly roll??
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Whitetail addict wrote:Hap40 or superblue would be amazing.
Agreed, superblue would be drop dead gorgeous! HAP 40 would also work...
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

BrianMcCord wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Most definitely in for this!

Such a beauty!

Thanks, I agree.
Definitely one of those knives that at first look I thought it was too rudimentary to have any sort of decent ergos, and almost blew it off, but it surprised me how it feels great in use!
Going back to Caly.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I carried my Chokwe for about a year straight. It makes an excellent EDC and slices good for a factory made knife. I’d be fine with Super Blue or HAP 40, but I certainly wouldn’t complain if AEB-L was used in it. Run a thinner edge with AEB-L and you’d have similar performance to 52100, but with stain resistance and a little wear resistance added in. I’ve been very impressed with AEB-L at 62 RC on a thin full flat grind for its ease of getting extremely sharp and the ability to get back near full sharpness with a couple passes on a Sharpmaker rod.
sal

Post by sal »

Impotent stuff!

1) Hi Jason, I was hoping this thread would pull you out of the ice. Maybe you haven't received my email? I have a couple of Caribbeans I need for you to test (plain and serrated). I need your current mailing address. Sglesser@spyderco0.com

2) I lied. It doesn''t have to be a Japanese steel. It was made in Taiwan and we ship the steel.

We do have someone interested in an Exclusive Chockwe, so we're still in discussion.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

twinboysdad wrote:Sal,

Did the idea of a Lil Chokwe put any jam in your jelly roll??
It would be all new tooling. Couldn't be a Sprint, have to be regular production.

sal
di81ni

Post by di81ni »

sal wrote:
We do have someone interested in an Exclusive Chockwe, so we're still in discussion.

sal

Sal, would an Exclusive rule out the possibility of an official Sprint run? Or could they theoretically happen both?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Email sent!
sal wrote:Impotent stuff!

1) Hi Jason, I was hoping this thread would pull you out of the ice. Maybe you haven't received my email? I have a couple of Caribbeans I need for you to test (plain and serrated). I need your current mailing address. Sglesser@spyderco0.com

sal
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Sprint/Exclusive in any combination of steel/g10 color would be fantastic. Would love to see LC200N or Nitro-V (AEB-L+). I wonder if the steel insert/over travel stop would be a feasible CQI?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
MCM

Post by MCM »

:cool:
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

MCM wrote::cool:
Something tells me you know something about this - yet again! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

This thread get me excited!
@martial_logan on the instagram.