Thanks Bandwagon

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FF_BasicUser

Thanks Bandwagon

Post by FF_BasicUser »

First time poster, but I've been reading the forum just about daily for many, many months. What finally made me register/post is because this past month or so (and even more so these past 1-2 weeks) there seems to be an increased sense of community--not only among each other but between Spyderco and the forum. To me at least, it seemed like a noticeable difference and it finally brought me here. I am the type of person who values a customer-driven company and strives to find companies where I can be a loyal customer. Heck, I even feel bad having to change ISPs or insurance companies! Spyderco and this forum convinced me to be a customer.

Here's the kicker... I've visited the forum almost daily for the past several months but have yet to purchase. Some might say I am indecisive, but I I think I just like to browse :) I've been spending months trying to narrow down which will be my first purchases. There are too many to choose but I think I am finally ready! I am just a basic user who carries a knife everyday but only uses it sparingly. I don't need the fancy steels, but just a tool that I know is quality built and from a company I can respect.

Happy holidays everyone and thank you all for the tips/wisdom throughout these past several months!
abbazaba

Re: Thanks Bandwagon

Post by abbazaba »

Welcome to the forum! I think you'll fit right in :) Please report back about what you choose as your new knife!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Always good to see new members on the forum, welcome!

It really is a remarkable company and community here. Hope you find what you're looking for, and if you need any help I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting suggestions or having questions answered.
:spyder:
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Welcome to the forum BasicUser. If quality products from a company worthy of respect is what you are after, you needn't look any further. You really can't go wrong with anything in the catalog. Choose something that speaks to you and you will be more apt to carry and enjoy it in use.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome FF_BasicUser, and may I help with a suggestion for great EDC? How about this?

- best wishes, Jazz.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

FF_BasicUser wrote:First time poster, but I've been reading the forum just about daily for many, many months.

I've been spending months trying to narrow down which will be my first purchases. There are too many to choose but I think I am finally ready! I am just a basic user who carries a knife everyday but only uses it sparingly. I don't need the fancy steels, but just a tool that I know is quality built and from a company I can respect.
Welcome to the forum. I would love to know which model you chose.
Justin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Welcone to the forum! :spyder:
Which knives have caught your eye so far?
Delicas? Enduras? Dragonflys? Militarys?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
FF_BasicUser

Post by FF_BasicUser »

Thanks for the welcome messages. I normally gravitate towards the 3" and under because they are easier to EDC (for me) and I have have length limits under 3" at work. I also prefer the deep carry clips.

The FRN Chapparal is on top of my list because it seems perfect for the type of carry and need. I've been waiting for this one to be released before finalizing my purchase list. Also finalists on the list are: PE Dragonfly, PM2, SE or kawkbill Dragonfly Salt, and Lil-Native. I did have an eye on Delica, but the Chapparal is comparable enough with more features I like. Also thought about the Manix, but the PM2 is close enough in comparison (again, for me). I think these will give me a good start, along with a Sharpmaker.

I haven't gotten fancy enough for the wharncliffe yet (thanks for the suggestion Jazz), but I am sure more and more time on this forum will eventually convince me I need one :)
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Welcome to the forum.
I think a chap is the perfect first spyderco. The steel is really good, solid design, lots of handle options, and pretty high bang for the buck. I would vote the rafir noble, but the frn looks good too.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey there BasicUser, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you will fit in well around here. Any of the knives you mentioned would be great but might I also suggest looking at the pm3? It is a much more EDC friendly version of the famous pm2. It's definitely not "deep carry" but that is easily remedied with an after market clip. I got the Cruwear version a few months ago and it has quickly become my favorite "smaller" knife to carry.
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

Welcome to the forums! My gateway spyderco, like many others, was a Paramilitary 2. I branched out from there and really enjoy the hobby. I hope you enjoy your first spydie!

Brian
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Another “Welcome”
FF_BasicUser wrote:The FRN Chapparal is on top of my list because it seems perfect for the type of carry and need. I've been waiting for this one to be released before finalizing my purchase list. Also finalists on the list are: PE Dragonfly, PM2, SE or kawkbill Dragonfly Salt, and Lil-Native. I did have an eye on Delica, but the Chapparal is comparable enough with more features I like. Also thought about the Manix, but the PM2 is close enough in comparison (again, for me).
As other, the Chap is great (and really all the knives on your list) I’ll also back the rec. for a PM3.

It sounds like your needs and uses are similar to mine. One thing I’ll mention. Especially for “occasional” use, the need for a lock is often over rated/over stated. IMO there are very few true knife tasks that benefit from the blade being locked. Stabbing, hard cutting with your thumb behind the blade and just playing with the lock itself are my top three and I don’t do any of them very much these days ;)

I have lots of Spydies in every possible lock but the one I use and carry these days is a K390 Urban. That steel may be more than you’re looking for (right now) but the Urban platform itself is FANTASTIC. Deep carry, small size (but does EVERYTHING I want it to do) lightweight, easy to deploy and disengage. It really is a wonderful (and often overlooked) model.

Ken
J.Sib84

Post by J.Sib84 »

Welcome to the forum.

From the list of knives you have named I will give you my opinions on the ones I have used. Just hoping to help you narrow it down.

First off the PM2, one of my personal favorites. The blade length, ergonomics and lock type are all excellent. You can also get it in several different handles and steels. It carries well in the pocket and is butter smooth. I own 5 different PM2.

Dragonfly/hawkbill Dragonfly salt, I own a ZDP-189 PE DF2 and a HBSE Salt. I carry the hawkbill just about everyday as a compainion blade but it gets used more than my main blade most of the time. The cutting power out of such a small package is outstanding.

Delica, I only own 1 delica and it is the wharncliffe model. and I have not carried but maybe a handful of times. It is more than capable but it just doesn't make it to my pocket very often.

You mentioned the Manix 2 so I will too. I own 4 versions of the Manix 2, 2 lightweight and 2 G-10 models. It is a wonderful blade in both configurations but for me it takes up too much room in my pocket.

The chap, I still don't own one but it is on my long list of knives I want. It hasn't made it to my short list yet only because I prefer a longer blade.

Hope to see a new spyder in your pocket soon. Post pics when you have made a decision.
Littlefoot.

Post by Littlefoot. »

Hi there from England. I'm a new member. I managed to get hold of a Rafir Noble chaperal from a site called Knivesandtools here in the UK. This is my first Spyderco knife. I'm really so very pleased and impressed with it.
I'm disabled and an old guy. However, I just know that I will be leaving this little beauty to my son, somewhere down the line, as it were. I've a few knives of various quality. CRKT, Camillus, a Victorinox that I bought in 1968 when I was 16.
Now, of course, I have this lovely Chaperal. I've also just purchased a Persistence which, I'm waiting for it to be delivered today. I know that a lot of people have seemed to be steel fanatics (nothing wrong with that), but I just tend to buy what I can afford at the time. It's been a really pleasant experience reading the articles and blogs on this forum. I don't normally join in writing on these things but, people seem really friendly on here. Oh I nearly forgot about the SOG Terminus that I've just got, that is legal to carry here in the UK. Thanks very much peeps.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Just a thought... the Orouboros will soon be gone and it would be a great way to "set the hook" on your upcoming Spyderco addiction ;)

Whatever you choose it'll be hard to go wrong, even the basics from Spyderco offer great design and good value.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi FF_BasicUser, Littlefoot,

Welcome to our forum.

There are a few "mature" people on this form. But that's where much of the wisdom comes from. Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Welcome aboard Littlefoot!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Welcome aboard!

I'm still voting for the Caribbean. It's the boss, requires zero maintenance, takes a mean edge very easily and holds it for a respectful amount of time.

Here are a few of my favorites.
The Caribbean and Baby Horn are in my pocket everyday.

No matter what you choose, it will be a great knife.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Littlefoot.

Post by Littlefoot. »

Thanks very much for the warm welcome. I shall try to get back on here on a regular basis to pick up on all that wisdom I'm looking for. G'night for now from the UK.
bacmapei

Post by bacmapei »

Welcome. I too did a lot of browsing and reading at first before making my first purchase. I discovered Spyderco shortly after the Para 3 was new. I got a Para 3 sprint and then added a Dragonfly H1 hawkbill this summer when my brother bought a sailboat. I still learn something new every time I log in to read and the input from the many contributors is fascinating. Enjoy your stay - happy shopping!