Which Models slipped through your fingers....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Which Models slipped through your fingers....

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Which models slipped through your fingers this year? (i.e. something you wanted but missed, couldn't afford, passed over for a sprint ect ect.) .....Also....
What's on your short and long list of must haves for next year?

For myself the Fluted CF native 5, D'Allara, and the Q-Ball kept getting pushed back on my list as well as the wharndelica.

My short list for 2018 is the Rhino, Maxamet Para3, fluted cf Native 5.
Long list Hap40 wharndelica, VTOKU sprints, native salt, lil native, spyderhawk, Yo2 trainer, Q-Ball :D I'm sure I forgot some.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
camvdcs

Re: Which Models slipped through your fingers....

Post by camvdcs »

Missed out on KC Exclusive Manix 2 Brown FRN CTS-XHP. They had them on sale around the weekend before July 4th. When I decided to get one, they were sold out. Nirvana - too much $$$.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I really would of liked to grab the DLT PM2, but i procrastinated and kept putting it off until it was gone.

Next year, I am trying to cut back, but I already have a Native Salt, Endura Toku, and Caly Jr on preorder. I would really like to grab a new Slysz design, and probably anything new with full titanium handles.
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

missed: frn Damascus delica, spydie dice promo item
short list: sprint df2, lil native
long list: chef's knife, rhino
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

The only thing that I've been wanting and just haven't been able to make happen is the Slysz Bowie. Not sure why, just can't seem to pull the trigger for some reason. I guess I haven't wanted it badly enough.

List of wants include Hanan, Para 3 Maxamet, Rhino, Hap 40 Jazzlica, SS Kopa, Shabaria.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Fluted Military
KW CF/Ti S90V Military
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Nate

Post by Nate »

First one that comes to mind is the PITS. I know there will be some regerts, but when I unexpectedly scored a composite Manix 2 sprint second off Ebay the PITS more or less officially became a no-go.

Next, I've passed on all Military and Para2 sprints in favor of the left hand models. It's absolutely the right choice for me and it speaks volumes that Spyderco is looking out for us southpaws, but it's still tough to pass on all the cool scale and steel combos. The one that literally slipped through my fingers was the gray Cruwear sprint, which I hadn't even used when the left hand model was announced and I decided to sell.

Short list is Chaparral lw (in the mail,) Calypso Jr sprint, D-fly 2 sprint (both pre-ordered,) and Native Salt.

Long list is a work in progress. I have some ideas, but there will probably be "surprises" that totally disrupt any plans I try to make now. :)
:spyder:
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Missed: Slysz Bowie ($$$), KC Manix 2 LW XHP (timing)
Short list: 2018 Caly Jr and Drangonfly sprints
Long list: FRN Chap, Native salt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pretty much everything that got discontinued before about 2010 because I'm too cheap to pay secondary prices for discontinued knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

There were a few I held off from purchasing to go for a sprint instead. Biggest miss for me was the Cru-Wear and Carbon fiber Manix from KnifeCenter :(

Other than that, anything else I missed was regular production and I still can get at some point.
Knives like the Dogtag Gen4, Dragonfly Hawkbill, FRN Chaparral, and CF Fluted Native 5. I also really want to buy a 40th anniversary Native, but just still haven't pulled the trigger.

My long list is long ! Spyderthrowers, Darn Dao, Q ball, Autonomy, all three Paul Alexander designs, Junction, many of the 2018 models now... and more...
-Nick :bug-red
attila

Post by attila »

Progrip/Prohunter/Provenator from the 2000s

Another Native C41BK

KC XHP Manix LW

Orange HAP40 Delica

DLT red M390 PM2 (I resisted due to budgeting)
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
mn700vforce

Post by mn700vforce »

Cutlery shopee Orange para 2 non dlc version. Too expensive now On the secondary market
archangel

Post by archangel »

Just the Lil‘ Lionspy, with which I‘ve been in love for quite a long time. It was just too pricy. When it appeared on the discontinued listing, I though it‘d be my chance. But then I also wanted the Southard folder, and then the Slysz bowie, and now, just today, I pulled the trigger on a Tighe Stick which will take the S90V spot from the 2015 FK N5 LW which is in the process of going. In the end I couldn‘t bring myself to buying the Lil‘ Lionspy cause I can‘t let go my Pingo sprint, my society and law compliant EDC.
Last edited by archangel on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Don't think i have missed anything i really want/ed actually..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:Pretty much everything that got discontinued before about 2010 because I'm too cheap to pay secondary prices for discontinued knives.
What kind of stuff did you miss before 2010?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Spydersense wrote:The only thing that I've been wanting and just haven't been able to make happen is the Slysz Bowie. Not sure why, just can't seem to pull the trigger for some reason. I guess I haven't wanted it badly enough.
That's how I felt about the Bowie, but I decided to buy one anyway when they were discontinued. I had only seen and read about the knife online, so I'd never so much as held it in person. But it was instant love when I opened it up for the first time. I definitely didn't want it bad enough -- until I had already bought it. If you can find one for sale for a good price, I'd give it a shot. It may pleasantly surprise you. It sure surprised me.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

This year? I think I got everything I really wanted and then some.

In the past? Tuff, Captain, Barong, and Kris. Those latter three all had super low closeout prices, but for one reason or another I couldn't afford them at the time. The Tuff never got much of a post-discontinuation discount, and by the time I realized it wasn't going to happen, prices were already skyrocketing and I didn't quite love it enough in hand to pay the crazy going rate.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

The KnifeCenter Manix 2 in cruwear/carbon fiber. Only myself to blame there.
And by the time I actually thought through the red DLT PM2 in m390 they were looong gone... :eek:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:
Evil D wrote:Pretty much everything that got discontinued before about 2010 because I'm too cheap to pay secondary prices for discontinued knives.
What kind of stuff did you miss before 2010?

Mostly stuff I had no interest in until years later. Funny how taste changes and kicks you in the gut.

A few of the top of my head..

Ayoob
Bob Terzuola Slipit, which would have been a serious heavy hitter for me if it had a lock
Dyad
Tim Zowada
Vesuvius
Captain
Rock Lobster, even though I have one if they were readily available I'd use the one I have more.
Citadel
Embassy

There's probably more lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
pftbahaa

Post by pftbahaa »

All that comes to mind for me is the Salsa. Any version. That size with the compression lock. I started too late in the game and that secondary price is far too unreasonable.