Spyderco Gratitude Giveaway (Winner)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Spyderco Gratitude Giveaway (Winner)

Post by Surfingringo »

Yesterday I opened the new Spyderco Catalog to ogle the new offerings as I do every year but this year was different. This year I got to see a knife that I designed being produced and offered by a company I have come to respect and admire. After enjoying the moment for a bit, I started to reflect on how in the world that came to happen.

I was introduced to this brand about 5 years ago through internet searches and that eventually led me to this forum. Like many, I lurked for awhile but given my propensity to overvalue my own ideas and opinions, it wasn't long before I joined up and started posting. Over the last 5 years I have received the vast majority of my "Edge-u-cation" right here on this forum. I live a life that affords me some pretty fun opportunities to do some neat things with knives but were it not for this forum (and more importantly the people who participate here) I would never have had the knowledge base to actually design something worth using. So it is to you guys that I want to offer my appreciation. All of the members here. And not just for the wealth of knowledge that is on offer here, but for the kind and respectful atmosphere that is always on display. This forum is a rare oasis in the harsh desert that is the internet and I am grateful to have had the chance to know this forum and all of you who participate.

I don't think there is anyone here who hasn't given me something positive but I'm going to offer up a few specific thanks just to get the ball rolling.

EvilD- Thanks for the pm you sent me in my first couple of weeks here cautioning me to dial it back a few notches lest I get run off (true story). I was new to the internet and it took me a minute to figure out that there were actual people at the other end of all these names. :o

Bearfacedkiller- for always being the polite voice of reason. Thanks also for pretty much always posting exactly what i would have said and therefore saving me from having to type it all out.

The Deacon- Paul hit me up a couple of years ago and just gave me a 52100 mule. "For being a helpful member" he said. I found that really kind and it also led to the next thanks.

Xplorer42- for offering to make beautiful custom scales for the mule that Paul gave me. That relationship became another good friendship and Chad and I have now done a number of projects together. Some of which I hope you all will get to see in the near future. ;)

Jim Ankerson- Thank you Jim for all the time you put into testing all the fun steels we get to play with. I have done just enough rope cutting to have a massive appreciation for the amount of work you put into compiling all that data

Cliff Stamp- I'd like to offer a huge thank you to Cliff for much of the information he offered here. Cliff, I know you don't post here anymore but I hope you read this at some point. You are not the easiest guy to get along with (I'm sure I'm the first person you've heard that from ;)) but you have offered some excellent testing and insight into this hobby. I wasn't always in agreement with every idea you had but I was smart enough to pay attention and learn a ton from what you offered.

Elena86- Thanks for the friendship and conversations over the years and thank you for the many kind things you have done for me.

S.E.F.- For keeping things weird and interesting around here 24/7/365. :D

JDspydo- Thank you JD for your ALWAYS positive and polite attitude towards all around here.

Phil Wilson- Phil, thank you for the many conversations about steel, design and fishing. Your knowledge of knives, fishing and the intermingling of the two helped me build much of the knowledge I've used to make some of my own designs.

And last of all, I would like to thank Sal. Thank you Sal for making this place what it is. All the things that I love about this community are that way because it is what YOU ask of us. You are the one who sets the example around here. IMHO, the influence that you have on the world around you is as great as anything you have accomplished in the knife world. Thank you for allowing me to participate in a small way.

There are MANY MANY others, and I apologize to all of the great friends here that I left out, but you get the idea. Now, lets get to the giveaway part...

Ok, you guys know that I am not a collector and you know that everything I own has scuffs, scratches usually a little staining, so temper your expectations. I have a Maxamet native that I would like to gift to one of you that I will pick at random. It is not NIB. In fact, I don't even have the box. :rolleyes: I have carried and used it and I hope that whoever I pass it along to will do the same. There is a bit of staining on the blade because that's what happens when you carry and use this steel but aside from that, the knife is essentially in new condition. This is a fun steel to play with so hopefully, someone who doesn't own any or who has been afraid to use their "safe queen" will get this one and feel inclined to use it well since I've already knocked the new off of it. :cool:

All you have to do to enter is to name at least one person on this forum that would like to thank and tell us why. If you want to list more than one then go for it. I think I will let this go for a couple of weeks to give everyone time to offer their gratitude. How about we run it until Christmas. Seems like a nice time of year to be thankful. I'll run a random drawing on Christmas Eve and send the Native to the winner.
Last edited by Surfingringo on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_MAC686

Re: Spyderco Gratitude Giveaway

Post by T_MAC686 »

WOW this is super generous!

I’d like to thank Spydergirl88 because when I first started posting she always seemed to answer my questions. It seems like she is always able to give people advice and never gets caught up in arguments on here. Thanks again Spydergirl88 and thanks again Lance for this amazing GAW!

-Tony
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

FarNorthDan. A true Gentleman, who actually does " pay it forward " Dan has always been a voice of reason and positive attitude. A year or so ago, Dan gifted me a DragonFly in HAP40.
Said he was just paying it forward.
FarNorthDan is a true assett to the Forum Family.
I really hope he wins.
JimP

Post by JimP »

Great idea for a comp!

Back when I first joined I had plenty of questions, being in Australia as a knife nut was and still is an expensive proposition so you really needed to do your homework to avoid disappointment. Many people were super helpful in my quest to drop plenty of money on new Spydies but the Deacon stood out, he would quickly answer any query, be generally helpful and happily put up comparison shots, so two thumbs up for the Deacon :) .
Warrior1

Post by Warrior1 »

RamZar... for keeping all of informed of real time markets and availability of our target Spydercos. I own too many sprints due to the timely posts!!
The older I get, the better I was...!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Don't think I could pick just one person. It really is a "community" of great folks here. First people that come to mind are JD, Peacent, SEF, and EVERYONE on "Team Hawkbill" here on the forum(there are too many to name) who regularly express their love for all things Hawkbill. You finally got us a Spyderhawk Sprint JD :D Persistence pays.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Volfan4u

Post by Volfan4u »

Like to say THANK you to rodloos for changing my mind on the Fluted Ti Mil by letting me know how much he loved it. I bought it and absolutely love the knife. Feels great in hand and it's a beautiful blade. Thanks rodloos.

Tennessee Mike
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I want to thank I'd spydo and evil d for not letting the hawkbill thread die.
Justin
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Just another reason why this place truly is a special place on they Old interweds, good on you Lance, always enjoy your adventures and envy your lot in life :D someday I too hope to live somewhere warm and sunny like you.

So many great members here its hard to narrow it to just one but the first who came to mind would be Chad (explorer) who was so very kind to me some time back by turning my 52100 mule into a piece of functional art. This brother is a true craftsman and generous to a fault,
I'm still amazed every time I pull this one out for some carry time. (if your reading this Chad, I miss your great contributions to the forum, especially your build threads and hope to see you post more in the future)

Also want to say thank you Paul for the kind words, I'm just glad that Dfly is being enjoyed as it should be.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well Lance, I'd like to thank YOU for turning out not to be an asshat lol. I could probably write out a list of members just as you've done that have helped me learn everything I know.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Thank you Illacky for inspiring me not to be shy about modifying my Manix knives to get them to where I want them to be and to Lance and others that have modified their blades/scales etc. to visually share your vision :spyder:
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

:spyder: I am NOT in, as I already own a Maxamet Native, but I would like to thank you Lance, for your entertaining and informative posts, as well as this generous giveaway. :spyder:
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

I am going to thank GeorgeMaggos. He introduced me to the world of Spyderco and this forum. Glad I met him.
attila

Post by attila »

I'd like to thank TazKristi and Michael Janich for keeping this place informed about myriad topics.

I'd also thank you Lance for inspiring the rest of us. I've come to appreciate the value of the Salt series knives due to your practical evaluations. I also have been inspired to take up fishing (maybe from a kayak someday) after a 20 year hiatus. Keep up the good work and congratulations on the Waterway! I look forward to your future videos.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

This is very generous of you Lance.

I am thankful for all the members that make up this forum, I am thankful for Sal, Eric, Kristi, MJ and Ed as well as all the Spyderco crew that help keep this rag -tag bunch on our toes and drooling through your newest catalog like a 6 year old in the Sears Wish Book. Most notably I would like to thank the members that reached out and encouraged, exucated, guided me into the Spydie waters when i joined here almost 7 years ago. (In no particular order)

The Mastiff
bh49
Blerv
Clip
DeathbySnooSnoo
Toomzz
MarcusH
PhilipSted
Donut
SpyderNut
Senorsquare
JD Spydo
Deacon
Mr Blonde
Jabba
Evil D
Chuck Roxas

And so many more. I am glad to have gotten to know each one of you in some detail or another.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

First and foremost, I'd like to thank Lance. Not only for this generous opportunity but also for generously sharing your experiences in the kayak. You live a life that many of us can only dream of. I'd also like to thank all the members here that make this forum the great place it is.

I'd like to especially thank mrtodd777. Todd, we don't get to see each other often but I've truly enjoyed all of our conversations offline. I truly appreciate our friendship man!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Thanks for the giveaway Lance! I'd like to thank RadioactiveSpyder for his giveaway a couple of years ago in which I won a Native 5 LW. (I have since gifted it to my Webelos Cub Scout son. He uses and appreciates it on scout outings :) )

Lance, since I already have a Maxamet Native you can leave me out of the drawing. Hopefully someone who doesn't already have one will win. :)

Thanks to Sal, Gail, and Eric for making my Spyderco hobby possible. You're all the best! :D
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Very generous of you, Gringo!

Honestly, I am grateful for everyone on this forum. I visit multiple sites times per day and always enjoy all of the comments and inputs.

That being said, first and foremost, Sal and crew for showing endless patience and enthusiasm. Also, you guys set the example and expectation for how folks should interact on this board. I wish all forums were half as respectful as this one is. Definitely an oasis in the desert of the internet.

I am also especially thankful for...
Gringo - for really USING knives. I truly enjoy the real world reports and especially the ones with photos of amazing fish (and I'm no fisherman).
MacLaren - being a major contributor in my decision to pickup the K2 last year.
murphjd25 - a relative local up here in the PNW, and I am pleased to know somebody else in the region who shares this hobby.
SEF - love the thought provoking topics
JD - for eternal enthusiasm of the 440V SE models. This enthusiasm caused me to locate a 440V SE Military that I really enjoy. I hope we can get another run of these at some point!
Evil D - For a very critical eye to the finest detail. Really enjoy all of your posts, and you have also very nearly convinced me that I need a Street Beat.

I really am disappointed that I cannot include all of the regular posters because it is everyone on thus forum that makes it so enjoyable. Thank you all!
MNOSD member 0030
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I'd like to thank Mad Mac, for taking the time to message me and make sure I knew how the photo contest thread worked, when I was new here and it was my job to judge the next batch of entries. The gesture was much appreciated. It's always super-awesome to find an online place where there's some people that go out of their way to look out for others, and it's one of the reasons I like hanging out here.

Also thanks to everyone who's posted tutorials or information about knives on here. A lot of the FRN-dyeing stuff is super intriguing and I am likely to experiment with it in the future, and it's really interesting to read technical information about my knives and debates on steel types, and to look at some of the mods people have done. Having this forum to hang out on has been really cool, and it's upgraded my knife collection from a casual thing I rarely think about to a full-fledged hobby.

Also thanks Vivi for always making super-interesting posts. You seem like you lead a cool life and your knives are cool too.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m not in for the Native, but I’d like to thank Sal for creating this great company and its respectful, polite culture, Ankerson for cutting miles of rope to advance our knowledge, TazKristi for keeping us in line, SurfGringo for his humor and extensive real-world testing, Jazz for helping birth the Jazzlica, Deacon for knowing all the historical things... and too many others to list, who have contributed to the brain trust that is Spyderco Forums. Thank you all and happy holidays!