The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Post by vivi »

RazorSharp86 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:43 pm
Accutronman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:07 am
RazorSharp86 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:40 pm
Anybody else’s Waterway came as dull as a butter knife?
I’m going to resharpen and test it- might be the sheath.
I tested the edge after taking it in and out of the sheath
It’s not the sheath. Mine was also dull straight out of the box. QC needed to be better on this one.

Yeah. I reprofiled and sharpened mine the next morning. Cannot stand a dull knife, and it’s a real shocker coming from Spyderco’s Golden plant.

I do believe, however, that most (if not all) sheaths dull the knife a tiny bit. Just the nature of sheaths and the edge touching and rubbing on materials.
I always draw my fixed blades putting mild pressure along the spine side. This ensures I don't dull my edges drawing and re-sheathing them. I developed this technique after running into issues with my Aqua Salt dulling.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

MeatTrapper wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:07 pm
Mine arrived and I am blown away. This is an awesome blade. As trapper, I skin more animals in a season than most people skin in a lifetime. This blade was designed by someone who actually uses knives to make meat, and it shows. This one is a winner through and through. This is my first spyderco fixed blade, as I've always used the Delica folders. I am thinking I might need to pair the waterway with a Moran fixed blade. Five stars. If you are on the fence about this knife - I recommend it without reservation.
I'd love to see some pictures once you put it to work!

Mine should be here any day now. I'll be busy early in the week, but Thursday I should be able to take it on a hike + overnighter.
:unicorn
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Accutronman wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:07 am
RazorSharp86 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:40 pm
Anybody else’s Waterway came as dull as a butter knife?
I’m going to resharpen and test it- might be the sheath.
I tested the edge after taking it in and out of the sheath
It’s not the sheath. Mine was also dull straight out of the box. QC needed to be better on this one.
I think out of every Spyderco I've bought... this was the first that did not filet printer paper with a clean swipe.
Mean it still push cut, but when my Bushcraft came in I swear that thing was a lightsaber.
I'm definitely going to throw it on the Sharpmaker, fortunately LC200N is pretty easy to put an edge on.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Mine arrived a few days back. This is my first Spyderco fixed blade and it is impressive. The handle is really remarkable and the knife feels solid and well balanced in the hand. The sheath is also well designed, I put it next to my TRC fixed blade in Elmax and the sheath is clearly superior in design.

Excellent choice in blade steel, mine came in nice and sharp. Like my other LC200N blades this one exhibits the same feel when cutting with the factory finish. Different steels have different feels, LC200N for example is very toothy reminds me of CTS-XHP but a little easier to sharpen.

Very impressive all the way around, the only thing that is a little difficult for me to get is how they got this out at such a low price point?
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:57 pm
Unless you're running the knife's edge into the sheath when you un sheath and re sheath it, you shouldn't have a problem. :)

I agree, but find it really hard to avoid touching the sheath with the edge in regular use. I am always trying to be mindful, but can’t always be as careful as perhaps one would need to be to avoid this from happening.
It’s not a huge deal, but definitely something that happens with most fixed blades.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

BRILLIANT! The WaterWay in just one word.

Mine just arrived an hour ago and I’m in awe.

Thank you, Lance, truly. And thank you, Glessers, for your inspired collaboration program. Synergy is a wondrous thing.

I now have my first Spyderco fixed-blade and can take it anywhere on the planet.

ETA: Mine also arrived without Spyderco’s typical edge. Freehanded it back to scary sharp.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Great with pic the Waterway next to the Sprig abbazaba! The similarity in the blade profiles is obvious of course. I'm really impressed with Lance's handle design. That handle is comfortable in any position. Normal grip, choked up, reverse grip, even upside-down running the spine along the cleaning table is comfortable with Lance's design. It's almost as if that guy has some sort of fish cleaning experience or something. ;)
Last edited by Xplorer on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Xplorer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:19 pm
Great with pic the Waterway next to the Sprig abbazaba! The similarity in the blade profiles in obvious of course. I'm really impressed with Lance's handle design. That handle is comfortable in any position. Normal grip, choked up, reverse grip, even upside-down running the spine along the cleaning table is comfortable with Lance's design. It's almost as if that guy has some sort of fish cleaning experience or something. ;)
Thanks! If I remember correctly you were involved as well in the creation of this awesome knife?

The pointy front half of the blade is where most of the similarities end IMHO. Ergonomically this is a whole different knife... To me this feels more like a working man's knife. The spring feels dainty and slippery compared to the Waterway, with its prominent guard and grippy as **** G10. Seriously, this thing is like velcro in my hand but seemly comfortable no matter how I hold it. What a handle design indeed.

Mine wasn't very sharp out of the box either (without ever touching the sheath), but that's a pretty easy fix. Thank you everyone that made this happen!
fkmtb07

Post by fkmtb07 »

Got mine yesterday. Redeemed some of my points at KSF and got it for a sweet price too!

Lance -- I LOVE the knife. The design is just about perfect! I live in San Diego and spend a lot of time outdoors, at the beach, and on the water and I can tell this will be my new favorite do-it-all camp/kayak/fish knife.

Mine also wasn't very sharp out of the box. A few minutes on the Sharpmaker and she's ready for action though!
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:39 pm
Thanks! If I remember correctly you were involved as well in the creation of this awesome knife?
:) I did not work on this one at all. I'm just a fan of the great design work Lance did here. You're recalling hearing about something else that I did some work on, but it's not time to talk about that one yet ;) .
abbazaba wrote:
The pointy front half of the blade is where most of the similarities end IMHO. Ergonomically this is a whole different knife... To me this feels more like a working man's knife. The spring feels dainty and slippery compared to the Waterway, with its prominent guard and grippy as **** G10. Seriously, this thing is like velcro in my hand but seemly comfortable no matter how I hold it. What a handle design indeed.
Agree. It's just the blade profile where I see similarity. I think it's cool to see how a design can appear in a photo to be similarly shaped from one angle yet be a completely different design in person. The details like spine thickness, taper, handle shape, etc.. really make this knife a much more stout knife that gives a feeling of confidence that it can handle whatever the adventure may bring.
abbazaba wrote:
Mine wasn't very sharp out of the box either (without ever touching the sheath), but that's a pretty easy fix. Thank you everyone that made this happen!
I'm surprised to be hearing this so much. Fortunately LC200N is easy to sharpen. :)

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

abbazaba wrote:
The pointy front half of the blade is where most of the similarities end IMHO.
There is this subtle thing that happens along the cutting edge of just some Spydie blades.

It happens on the WaterWay and sets this gem apart from the Sprig.

The WaterWay’s cutting edge, from the plunge line to beyond the midpoint, essentially has no belly, unlike the Sprig.

This flattening would seem (if we are to listen to folks who butcher in the field) to add versatility to the blade overall.

The Stretch, which Lance considers one of Sal’s best designs, has a similar profile (so, too, the Superleaf, the GB1, the Millie, and the Shaman, among models I own).

Coincidence?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Way to go Gringo! :cool:

Edited to add some of your best work. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/o1YGbnrfV ... e=youtu.be
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Dinner or for sale?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:38 am
Dinner or for sale?
Hey Woodpuppy, mostly Dinner. If there is extra I usually throw it back but sometimes keep a couple for the workers at my condo and the neighbors. I rarely freeze fish but I had to make an exception with some of the Snapper this time. The tuna became sashimi and Poke and the Snapper gets fried and made into one of my best dishes, a "masala" over rice.

I'll tell a quick story. When I come in from fishing there is a small dirt area where people park at the beach. One of the local guys who is on the lower rung of societal success shows up there every day and wears an orange vest and designates himself as the parking lot assistant and "guard". You rarely see someone holding a sign and asking for money down here. When folks get hungry they usually find a way to look useful if they are going to ask for money. Anyway, a few months ago while I was cleaning, the guy asked me if he could have some of the snapper heads to make a soup. I said "of course" if he was willing to carry off the rest of the remains too.

When I handed the guy the bag, he was absolutely beside himself with gratitude. Like he was so genuinely happy and excited he was literally licking his lips. I watched the guy almost skipping away with his trash bag full of fish heads and skeletons and was so moved by the guys attitude that I called him back and gave him a whole snapper. When I handed him the fish, I thought he was going to cry. I promise you I am not exaggerating. A 40 year old man moved to tears because someone gave him a dead fish.

I have been hesitant to tell the story because I did not want it to look in ANY way like I'm looking for recognition or credit for what I did. I didn't do anything. I just gave the guy some stuff I didn't need...and half the reason was so I wouldn't have to carry it off myself. I just wanted to tell the story as a reminder that most of us (regardless of what problems we choose to focus on today) have pretty amazing lives. It was a good reminder to me that I should be practicing gratitude (yes, I have to "practice" because it doesn't always happen by instinct) even when I think life is tough. The truth is that if I'm able to see myself right sized then I realize that most any "problem" I might have today is a complete joke. I might have a few problems...but they're high class problems. Sermon over. haha. :o
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:19 am

I'll tell a quick story. When I come in from fishing there is a small dirt area where people park at the beach. One of the local guys who is on the lower rung of societal success shows up there every day and wears an orange vest and designates himself as the parking lot assistant and "guard". You rarely see someone holding a sign and asking for money down here. When folks get hungry they usually find a way to look useful if they are going to ask for money. Anyway, a few months ago while I was cleaning, the guy asked me if he could have some of the snapper heads to make a soup. I said "of course" if he was willing to carry off the rest of the remains too.

When I handed the guy the bag, he was absolutely beside himself with gratitude. Like he was so genuinely happy and excited he was literally licking his lips. I watched the guy almost skipping away with his trash bag full of fish heads and skeletons and was so moved by the guys attitude that I called him back and gave him a whole snapper. When I handed him the fish, I thought he was going to cry. I promise you I am not exaggerating. A 40 year old man moved to tears because someone gave him a dead fish.

I have been hesitant to tell the story because I did not want it to look in ANY way like I'm looking for recognition or credit for what I did. I didn't do anything. I just gave the guy some stuff I didn't need...and half the reason was so I wouldn't have to carry it off myself. I just wanted to tell the story as a reminder that most of us (regardless of what problems we choose to focus on today) have pretty amazing lives. It was a good reminder to me that I should be practicing gratitude (yes, I have to "practice" because it doesn't always happen by instinct) even when I think life is tough. The truth is that if I'm able to see myself right sized then I realize that most any "problem" I might have today is a complete joke. I might have a few problems...but they're high class problems. Sermon over. haha. :o
Thanks Lance. Great story, and a good way to set my perspective at the start of a new day!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
I might have a few problems...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

My Waterway finally put in some work over the weekend. I kept the electric filet knife inside for these just so I could see how it handled. I couldn't be happier. I know this knife wasn't designed to be a dedicated filet knife but it works great if you need it for that purpose.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

Funny side story-
I was taking my three year old daughter for a walk around the lake we live on and we saw several splashes about 10 yards off the bank. When I looked closely there were two large mouth bass stuck together. The slightly larger fish had tried to swallow the other whole. They were both still alive, so I rolled up my jeans, hopped in, and pulled them apart. Snapped a quick picture and let them swim away. Pretty cool!

youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

Surfingringo wrote:

:D That's so awesome, thanks for sharing. I think it really goes to show that not only can there be immense satisfaction from giving to others but also our happiness is heavily dictated by our gratitude for each and every good thing in our lives big or small and that our gratitude is solely dependent on the perspective we choose to see things from and also simply our choice to be grateful or not. Gratitude really is one of life's most important secrets for gaining true happiness and contentment. Im sure everyone knows but not everyone really believes.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal