The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Post by James Y »

I’m not generally interested in many fixed blade knives (I have a few), but I will have one of these (someday). Oh Yes!! It looks like an outstanding user.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have several fixed blade knives that never get used, so I'm not really in the market. That said, this is a US made Spyderco fixed blade and I feel I need to support the cause.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hear, hear!

Post by 353 »

This is a one of a kind blade, if you like the looks just get it, you won't regret it.

And then there is the sheath... It's FANTASTIC!!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Important thread, and as such, should be kept alive
Or maybe there's another waterway thread just I didn't find..
Anyhow, I got my Waterway quite some time ago. I should have given it more time in the belt by now, but there are just so many knives and so little time. Even so, my initial impressions are good. It's a very usable knife for me that take part in lots of various activities in wet and humid environments. That said, this is a knife I would probably have bought even in a less stainless steel, just because it's such an allround useful design.
For those keeping statistics, it's worth mentioning that also mine arrived dull as a butter knife.
The sheath gets a lot of praise as well, and it's probably well deserved. The quality seems very good, it's just a bit of an unusual carry style for a scandinavian. I tried to carry both vertically and horizontally, but the old ways are just to deeply imprinted in my habits, so a little adjustment was in the cards.

In one of my knife drawers I found an unused Casström dangler, and after some trial and error, I found a solution that has been working very well for me ever since.

The dangler is mounted in a reverse orientation compared to it's intended use and just clips onto a belt loop in the way I use it. It's neither beautiful nor perfect, but it attaches quickly, with no need to undo belts, and works very well for my most typical application thus far. Where I typically carry it in my backpack until I arrive at my fishing spot, camp location, or whatever I'm doing that requires a fixed blade. After I got in to folding knives I mostly prefer to just carry a folding knife on my body until a fixed blade is needed for whatever reason.
The belt loop is definitely a weak spot in this setup, so before fishing season hits off again, I will improve it with a safety leash/lanyard.