The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Post by wrdwrght »

Life is a gift, made better by gifting.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Finally, the Waterway is mine. :D Love everything about the knife. Stabbing sharp point, thin, grippy, handle with nice finger guard. Good weight and balance. The LC and sheath contribute to making this a real winner. Should have picked up two, guess I'll order another for my son. Thanks Lance and the folks at Spyderco for making this happen. Lance's fish mark is also really neat. Can't wait to use it! :spyder:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:19 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:38 am
Dinner or for sale?
Hey Woodpuppy, mostly Dinner. If there is extra I usually throw it back but sometimes keep a couple for the workers at my condo and the neighbors. I rarely freeze fish but I had to make an exception with some of the Snapper this time. The tuna became sashimi and Poke and the Snapper gets fried and made into one of my best dishes, a "masala" over rice.

I'll tell a quick story. When I come in from fishing there is a small dirt area where people park at the beach. One of the local guys who is on the lower rung of societal success shows up there every day and wears an orange vest and designates himself as the parking lot assistant and "guard". You rarely see someone holding a sign and asking for money down here. When folks get hungry they usually find a way to look useful if they are going to ask for money. Anyway, a few months ago while I was cleaning, the guy asked me if he could have some of the snapper heads to make a soup. I said "of course" if he was willing to carry off the rest of the remains too.

When I handed the guy the bag, he was absolutely beside himself with gratitude. Like he was so genuinely happy and excited he was literally licking his lips. I watched the guy almost skipping away with his trash bag full of fish heads and skeletons and was so moved by the guys attitude that I called him back and gave him a whole snapper. When I handed him the fish, I thought he was going to cry. I promise you I am not exaggerating. A 40 year old man moved to tears because someone gave him a dead fish.

I have been hesitant to tell the story because I did not want it to look in ANY way like I'm looking for recognition or credit for what I did. I didn't do anything. I just gave the guy some stuff I didn't need...and half the reason was so I wouldn't have to carry it off myself. I just wanted to tell the story as a reminder that most of us (regardless of what problems we choose to focus on today) have pretty amazing lives. It was a good reminder to me that I should be practicing gratitude (yes, I have to "practice" because it doesn't always happen by instinct) even when I think life is tough. The truth is that if I'm able to see myself right sized then I realize that most any "problem" I might have today is a complete joke. I might have a few problems...but they're high class problems. Sermon over. haha. :o

Great story. It’s easy to go all "woe is me" but those of us who can sit here on an internet connection and debate the finer points of high zoot steel are pretty fortunate; you’re exactly right that we need to "practice" gratitude, and I’ll add compassion to that. We also need to also be realistic about need vs want. Easy to confuse the two, hard to live and prosper if you can’t keep them straight.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:19 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:38 am
Dinner or for sale?
Hey Woodpuppy, mostly Dinner. If there is extra I usually throw it back but sometimes keep a couple for the workers at my condo and the neighbors. I rarely freeze fish but I had to make an exception with some of the Snapper this time. The tuna became sashimi and Poke and the Snapper gets fried and made into one of my best dishes, a "masala" over rice.

I'll tell a quick story. When I come in from fishing there is a small dirt area where people park at the beach. One of the local guys who is on the lower rung of societal success shows up there every day and wears an orange vest and designates himself as the parking lot assistant and "guard". You rarely see someone holding a sign and asking for money down here. When folks get hungry they usually find a way to look useful if they are going to ask for money. Anyway, a few months ago while I was cleaning, the guy asked me if he could have some of the snapper heads to make a soup. I said "of course" if he was willing to carry off the rest of the remains too.

When I handed the guy the bag, he was absolutely beside himself with gratitude. Like he was so genuinely happy and excited he was literally licking his lips. I watched the guy almost skipping away with his trash bag full of fish heads and skeletons and was so moved by the guys attitude that I called him back and gave him a whole snapper. When I handed him the fish, I thought he was going to cry. I promise you I am not exaggerating. A 40 year old man moved to tears because someone gave him a dead fish.

I have been hesitant to tell the story because I did not want it to look in ANY way like I'm looking for recognition or credit for what I did. I didn't do anything. I just gave the guy some stuff I didn't need...and half the reason was so I wouldn't have to carry it off myself. I just wanted to tell the story as a reminder that most of us (regardless of what problems we choose to focus on today) have pretty amazing lives. It was a good reminder to me that I should be practicing gratitude (yes, I have to "practice" because it doesn't always happen by instinct) even when I think life is tough. The truth is that if I'm able to see myself right sized then I realize that most any "problem" I might have today is a complete joke. I might have a few problems...but they're high class problems. Sermon over. haha. :o

This is a great testimony, Lance. I'm a pastor and do mission work all throughout Central America and the Caribbean and have experienced this unfettered appreciation on many occasions, but what I find even more heartwarming is that this man probably stopped several times on his way home and shared the proceeds of your generosity with others. I've worked with some of the poorest and most destitute people you will ever meet, but they were also the happiest and most generous people I have ever met.

Don't feel guilty about sharing stories like this because people need to know that good still happens in the world. This is why in the other Waterway thread I revealed that I gifted my new Waterway to a friend, it wasn't a humble-brag, it's a testimony that I've been blessed, that I recognize the source of that blessing, and that I pay it forward.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:05 am

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

Where is this and is that church still in use? If so, I know where I want to be transferred!
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Here is a comparison pic with a few others. My mule was strapped to my bag so I forgot to add it in there.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
Last edited by mrtodd777 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

The Chapel is still in use, and holds mass, but is primarily used for wedding ceremonies. This is Adriatic Village at St Pauls's Square in Mckinney, Texas. We moved here last November.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Beautiful family and background! I love all that sunshine 😀
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
dimiw1337

Post by dimiw1337 »

i just got the waterway aswell, amazing design, superior material, came dull as a butter knife.
lucky i know how to sharpen easy but for people who dont its a real problem.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Let me start by saying that I’ve been on the search for a good all around fixed blade for quite some time.

Corrosion resistance is always at the top of the list for me so I was instantly drawn to H1 steel then LC200N.

This being the first Spyderco fixed blade in LC200N I jumped at the chance to get one.

I have never seen a knife this versatile, it’s capable of being a dive knife, fishing knife, hunting knife, self defense knife and the list goes on and on.

I have never owned a fixed blade knife with anything other than a leather or nylon sheath and was very worried that it would rattle... the sheath is well executed and is completely free of any kind of rattle what so ever.

The Waterway truly is a jack of all trades. It’s a beautifully executed design and I think anyone would be fortunate to have it in hand for many cutting tasks.

Awesome job Lance and Spyderco!

(FYI my Waterway came sharp enough to shave arm hair, but just barely.)
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I was excited to find a Waterway in my mailbox this past Friday! I've been looking forward to this one for what feels like years. It's been really cool to see the emails from knife retailers advertising the Lance Clinton designed Waterway because he's been a well known and helpful contributor here at the forum for such a long time, and he's a friend. It's ever better to hold the knife in my hands finally and see Lance's design fully realized as a Golden, CO made Spyderco knife. :spyder: :)

Congrats Lance!

The knife arrived just sharp enough to shave hair and I gave it a quick touch up anyway. My first impression is that this is a really well rounded knife for all sorts of outdoor adventures and is obviously well suited for adventures around water and involving fish. That said, water and/or fish aren't necessary for this to still be a great choice as an outdoor knife. It's capable of handling all sorts of EDC and fire making chores as well. The size, shape and weight make it a knife I would be just as happy carrying into the high Sierras as I would taking it onto a fishing boat in the Pacific Ocean.

The grippy checkering in the G10 handle works really well even when wet and the palm swell feels great too. The overall profile contours of the handle make it comfortable in every position. This is just one of a number of areas where I see Lance's unique level of experience in processing ocean fish benefiting the design.

I played with the Waterway all weekend and it's inspiring me to take it out for a proper adventure. I look forward to posting pics soon.. :D

CK
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Xplorer wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:27 pm

I played with the Waterway all weekend and it's inspiring me to take it out for a proper adventure. I look forward to posting pics soon.
Haha, I'm the same way. I always make a point to go camping when I get a new fixed blade.
:unicorn
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:20 pm
Xplorer wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:27 pm

I played with the Waterway all weekend and it's inspiring me to take it out for a proper adventure. I look forward to posting pics soon.
Haha, I'm the same way. I always make a point to go camping when I get a new fixed blade.
:D I'll admit I'm always looking for an excuse to spend the night in the mountains, but a new fixed blade is an especially good reason IMO :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Wohooo, got mine today. A month after everyone Else. Takes time to get these knives to norway apparently, the world is not So small after All i Guess.
Awesome knife, and It came sharp enough That i made confetti out Of The box It came in.
And It has The first plastic sheat i Have ever liked. Looking forward to taking this fishing, although the size Of The fish i get is small compared to what This knife was made for.

Great Job, Lance and Golden.
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean

Post by 353 »

Another happy Norwegian customer right here! :D

I've been carrying mine now for a couple of days. Not all that much use yet, but I love this knife and the sheath.

For me the knife is a bit too big to carry with the optional horizontal carry. In the regular carry the handle will ride pretty high but this also means the sheath rides high, so it won't interfere every time you take a seat.

This also makes the knife and sheath pretty much invisible if you just put your shirt or t-shirt over the knife carrying it.

If your lokal laws allows it, this is a great fixed EDC blade.

Great job Lance & Spyderco!! :cool::thumbsup:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

My Waterway arrived yesterday and I can see what all the excitement is about. It feels great in hand in any grip, it’s hair popping sharp which is a bit of a bonus having heard others came not so sharp and has a very even and symmetrical bevel grind. Fair to say the total package is actually better than I expected.

I’m pretty exited to have a fixed blade I can wash in the surf and forget about and looking forward to blooding it.

Gringo obviously put lots of time and thought into the knife’s design, Spyderco have executed it beautifully and it’s refreshing to see Spyderco stamped on one side of the blade and Golden Colorado (plus Gringo’s moniker) on the other. ;)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Thank you for the side by side pic, so often it’s hard to image the size without those comparisons!!!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Here are a few pics from the last week with my Waterway. Of course I am biased but I'm very happy with mine.

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wow, great pictures! You’ve brightened up what is a very dull day, here! Thanks!
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

**** all of you! I just joined the club and placed an order. Having a do it all, you can throw anything it type knife is awesome. I only fish 1-2 times a year, so this will be more of a camping knife that will see the occasional fish. But maybe this will make me fish more! Lance - I blame you for designing a badass knife at an affordable price point