The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joris Mo

Re: The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Post by Joris Mo »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:49 pm

From its infancy, the Waterway was designed to be an all around utility knife. It is made to withstand extreme corrosive environments and it has a number of design features that are meant to optimize it for fishing and water activities but it was always intended to be a slim but strong “do everything” fixed blade. I have been planning from the beginning to have a cruwear model made for myself. Just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Haha, can't you just get Sal and Eric to make a Cruwear Sprint? :D
It definitely looks like a great utilitarian blade and I think that would do quite well in Cruwear as well.
portinfer

Post by portinfer »

Just joined this fourm, greetings one and all.

I've been looking for a knife recently and my path has been this:

Freediving and spearfishing in Europe with fish up to 10 pounds (nothing huge like you guys get) for the last 15 years or so. Love it. I've been using the popular Omer Laser/Mini Laser knife for most of that time - been through a couple. http://www.omersub.com/usa/laser_usa.asp

The sheath snap in is quite good but the blade is pretty poor in my opinion. I wear it on my left arm on the inside as sometimes we stalk in very weedy/shallow water.

So I started reading about steel, came across H1 and the Spyderco Salt range, then found the Fish Hunter.

However, for us guys in Europe, the Fish Hunter is too big for in my opinion. Most spearos over here use a smaller knife in the 70mm to 80mm range rather than the 106 of the FH.

The FH looks good and I'd buy it if it came in a 'mini' size. Would be the perfect replacement for a braining knife.

Then I thought I'd stick with the Omer knife and see if I could get something for processing immediately on the shore. Looked at the Salt Pacific and thought I could carry a folder in a pouch on my weight belt.

Anyway, then I saw the Waterway.

Looks really good for my needs.
Will brain the fish with the Omer or other small knife, cut the gills to bleed out, string the fish. (Stab and one cut essentially).
Then back on shore I can use the Waterway to remove the gills (if not filleting), scale, gut and fillet the fish and toss the frame back in the sea for the crabs.
Not sure if I'd carry the WW strapped to a leg/belt/arm for immediate shore use or leave it until back at the vehicle.

Anyway, I like VG10 and if this has similar performance then it will be a very good wet knife - thanks Lance, looks good.

Will be great to take on camping trips to other islands for the weekend and for kayak trips too.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Just learned of the Waterway from the H1/LC200N thread. Nice blade profile with just the right amount of belly, fish not needing as much as a field knife. The pointy front end makes it easier piercing tougher fish skin when starting your fillet cut. Thickness is a lesser concern overall, again due to the soft texture of fish flesh.
animportant

Post by animportant »

Joris Mo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:10 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:49 pm

From its infancy, the Waterway was designed to be an all around utility knife. It is made to withstand extreme corrosive environments and it has a number of design features that are meant to optimize it for fishing and water activities but it was always intended to be a slim but strong “do everything” fixed blade. I have been planning from the beginning to have a cruwear model made for myself. Just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Haha, can't you just get Sal and Eric to make a Cruwear Sprint? :D
It definitely looks like a great utilitarian blade and I think that would do quite well in Cruwear as well.
This model is worthy of many different blade steels. I think it could become Spyderco's staple fixed blade!
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Yes different steels and a Version with a leather sheat called woodsway. :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

animportant wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am
I think it could become Spyderco's staple fixed blade!
Them's pretty strong words, since we haven't seen the new Bow River yet. :)
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 pm
Thanks guys. I’m excited to hear some thoughts once folks get them in hand and start using them. I’m enjoying mine. ;)

Question... so in the Spyderco catalog the Waterway is shown without pins or screws exposed. I saw the one you’re using does show exposed pins / screws. Do you know if the Waterway will or will not have exposed hardware?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Waterway will definitely NOT have exposed hardware. The knife in the photo was a very early prototype. I have tested the actual production prototype (no exposed hardware) RIGOROUSLY and along with the Aqua Salt, I would rate it the most corrosion proof knife that Spyderco currently makes.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I stumbled on this which I thought was interesting. :)

https://www.fieldandstream.com/best-new ... -shot-show
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Bump, really looking forward to this knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am impatiently awaiting this knife. It will not only be a good fishing knife, but it will be just right for hiking and camping. It has the right blade length in the right weight range and it is rust proof on top of it all. This knife should be epic.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I miss mackerel... no safe limit to consume in my neck of the woods due to mercury content. Fun fish to catch, easy to prepare, good to eat! They’re **** on your lures and leader though.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

In stock at GPK
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

In stock now at DLT Trading. Just ordered mine!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

They opened for orders at lamnia, but they wont get it until the 26th, same with the endura warncliffe.
I feel like the chubby slow guy Who gets picked last for soccer.
Well well, i Will probably get Them the 28th. :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

On blade hq
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
MeatTrapper

Post by MeatTrapper »

Just ordered mine from Blade HQ. Been waiting on this one for a while.
Modern Day Trapper Gatherer
MeatTrapper.com
sal

Post by sal »

Hi MeatTrapper,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Yep ordered mine last night.

A co-worker of mine just bought a boat and a few moths back an S30V Benchmade. Yesterday I got him to buy a sharpmaker. Today I gifted my :spyder: Pacific Salt to him in honor of the new boat and then after he freaked out over that I got him to go to Blade HQ and order a Spyderco Waterway.

It is his own fault, he said " Now all I need is a fixed blade Knife and I will be set" :spyder:
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Just bought mine yesterday and can’t wait to get it in hand.

I’m wondering if you all think this would make a good tactical self-defense knife and or a good knife for the ladies and gentleman in the military?

Phenomenal job Lance!
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”