The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JimP

Re: The Waterway Will Be Mine...

Post by JimP »

Surfingringo wrote: Chris, the one I have is the same as the one on pages 116-117 and will be the final product. The one pictured with the description is actually a photo of an earlier prototype and is quite different. I am guessing that photo was used by mistake?
That's great news as it's the most appealing :cool: . So am I right in saying that they are removable G10 scales with Griptillian like texture?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thank you Lance and thank you Spyderco that the knife has a proper guard! Kudos!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

JimP wrote:
Surfingringo wrote: Chris, the one I have is the same as the one on pages 116-117 and will be the final product. The one pictured with the description is actually a photo of an earlier prototype and is quite different. I am guessing that photo was used by mistake?
That's great news as it's the most appealing :cool: . So am I right in saying that they are removable G10 scales with Griptillian like texture?
Hey Jim, the texture is kind of similar to the diamond pattern on the Halpern mule scales. I’m not sure if they decided to screw or pin the handles. We discussed both but I’m not sure which way they went with the final product. Guess we’ll find out soon. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:Thank you Lance and thank you Spyderco that the knife has a proper guard! Kudos!
Hey Dan, the entire knife was designed around the guard. That was the starting point. Both that and the heavily textured handles seemed prudent on a knife that would be making puncture cuts when wet and bloody.
JimP

Post by JimP »

Surfingringo wrote:
JimP wrote:
Hey Jim, the texture is kind of similar to the diamond pattern on the Halpern mule scales. I’m not sure if they decided to screw or pin the handles. We discussed both but I’m not sure which way they went with the final product. Guess we’ll find out soon. :)
Thanks for that Lance, the texture looks good and shouldn't be too bad for cleaning, if the scales are removable that will just be icing on the cake! The Water Way looks like it will be very versatile and was my first pick from the new catalog, really look forward to getting it in hand, well done.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Blades like these make me wish even more that I could be spending my time on/in sweet/salt water like it's designer!
Very cool blade, probably won't get it since I wouldn't have use for it but definitely makes me wish I did! ;)
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Congratulations and thanks for working with Spyderco to bring your design to the masses!
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Very well done Lance! That is a great looking general purpose knife. Good for you and congrats!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Congratulations, Lance! The WaterWay looks fantastic! I like the name—and it’s going to be made in Golden to boot! I know you put a lot of real-world work and R&D into that design, so it’s exciting to see it come to fruition. :) I can’t wait to pick one up!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder what the retail price for the Waterway will be?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, in terms of physical strength for the tips and edges and main body of the blade, which of the two do you think would be more resistant over the long term to cracks and chips and breakage within reasonable use?
well I'd bet the fish hunter is more fragile due to the "swedge like" tip, and the serrations would help "saw" thorough tough fish scales, or other strong(er) materials, while being less than ideal for more detailed work or fine cutting.

Being thinner, I'd say the Waterway must slide easier through the fish as it's being opened, and I don't believe there would be much loss in resistance because the Fish Hunter is made of thicker stock (at the thickest section) but its grind and shape make for a more fragile kind of blade.

Just my thoughts, but I'd sure own both if I could :p
animportant

Post by animportant »

This is such a nice design I think Spyderco should use it for two other versions as well... A super high wear resistant stainless like m390, 20cv, 204p, s90v etc, and one hard use tool steel like Cru-wear or 3v.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

anagarika wrote:
Hopefully the mistake gets corrected. Others also noticed error in Respect thickness, picture of Paul’s new Parata, etc.
The blade thickness of the Lil’ Native also seems to be incorrect. It says it’s .125 inches or 3.7mm but .125 inches is approx 3.17mm. Hopefully the .125”/3.17mm is the correct one and the 3.7mm is wrong.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:And here is my question for you, Lance, and others: When compared to the Fish Hunter, what are the positive and negative differences in using the one over the other? For example, could the Fish Hunter and Waterway be used interchangeably for the same basic tasks such as braining the fish, filleting and butchering the fish, general purpose marine cutting tasks, or, are there some tasks where one would do better over the other? Also, in terms of physical strength for the tips and edges and main body of the blade, which of the two do you think would be more resistant over the long term to cracks and chips and breakage within reasonable use?
Hi SEF, I'll try to answer this the best I can. First of all, lets ignore the obvious difference that one is serrated and one pe and compare just the designs. The short answer to your question is yes, the designs have enough similarities in size and shape that they could be used interchangeably for most tasks but you would see some very big performance differences.

Pretty much everything about the fish hunter is geared towards puncturing. The tip is very narrow and very thin plus the false edge on top makes it even more needle sharp. The tip on the Waterway, on the other hand, is narrow from the side profile, but is significantly thicker and more robust than the tip of the fish hunter. This knife does not have quite as much distal taper as something like the Military. The idea behind that is to leave enough meat at the tip to keep it strong. Many designs strengthen the tip by making the blade profile wider but at a certain point, this results in a tip that won't really puncture at all. On this design I chose to give the tip extra strength by keeping the spine slightly thicker all the way to the tip. Robust but still nice and stabby.

Another difference is the edge profile/curve. The fish hunter has a long continuous (and relatively flat) curve all the way to the tip. The Waterway has a slightly more pronounces belly up by the tip. The result is that the waterway is a bit easier to use making cuts on a flat surface. The flatter belly of the fish hunter, on the other hand, is another feature that makes it better at puncturing.

The guard on the Waterway is also a bit more pronounced and vertical than that of the fish hunter. The handle of the fish hunter is more contoured where the handle of the waterway is much straighter and more neutral. The fish hunter might feel more comfortable in a traditional grip but the idea of the neutral handle on the Waterway was to make a knife that could be held comfortably in a myriad of different grips (most of which I use on the kayak and at the cleaning table).

The two knives are of similar size but are really quite different tools. The Fish hunter is designed to do one thing extremely well but will still perform adequately at other tasks. The Waterway was designed more as a jack of all trades. It will never outperform the fish hunter at braining fish or other puncturing jobs but that same lack of specialization probably makes it a better knife for general use.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Great design Lance. If the final product looks like the one on page 117 I'm in. I like the scales covering the guard. LC200N is the perfect steel for putting it on my must have list. My sprig just doesn't have the same corrosion resistance and I've been happy with my LC200N Mule.
Justin
dammyippon

Post by dammyippon »

I'm really looking forward to this one, had no idea about it and was really happy when I saw it in the catalog. Been looking for a fishing knife in that style for a while now.
Adam Brands Þórarinsson
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

This was most unexpected surprise for me as well. This and the spyderhawk Sprint are on the short list.
Justin
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

crazywednesday wrote:Great design Lance. If the final product looks like the one on page 117 I'm in. I like the scales covering the guard. LC200N is the perfect steel for putting it on my must have list. My sprig just doesn't have the same corrosion resistance and I've been happy with my LC200N Mule.
Thanks Justin. And it WILL indeed be the knife you see on pages 116-117. I am carrying and using the latest prototype (which will be the same as the production model) right now actually.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Awesome job and congrats on being a collaborator!
Justin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A big congrats to you Lance! :)

The knife looks great with a practical design that should work in any field application on or off the water. :cool:

Unless I missed it what I’d like to ask is what is the blade stock thickness? In the link to the electronic cattle dog it says it’s 3.4mm which seems way thick for a knife like this. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin