VTOKU Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kiteman72

Re: VTOKU Sprint Run

Post by Kiteman72 »

Just to chime in, mine looks just like the examples pictured. Very weird.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Maybe it was an issue rendering the font - I run into that with adobe often.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:52 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:43 pm
Strange? I just checked mine and it is completely normal.
Are you sure? I thought mine was normal too until I looked at it under magnification.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Apparently yours wasn't made on a Friday (or Monday) like the rest of ours. :)

BTW, I kind of like the goofy script that some of these have. The script is so small that it's not easy to see with the naked eye (at least not with my aging eyes) but it's kind of neat knowing they're different.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

I was going to say the same thing! :)

I feel like I missed out on one of the ones with personality. :cool:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Mine will be here on Friday.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:26 am
I think it is worth hearing from Spyderco on those. Wouldn't this process be done by machine? It looks very odd.
I agree. An explanation is in order. If I received a Spyderco with lettering like that I would be immediately suspicious.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:07 am
BIGSTRETCH wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:26 am
I think it is worth hearing from Spyderco on those. Wouldn't this process be done by machine? It looks very odd.
I agree. An explanation is in order. If I received a Spyderco with lettering like that I would be immediately suspicious.
It would be interesting to hear (read) an explanation of what might've happened but I certainly wouldn't demand one. I think it's pretty obvious what happened. They had a production issue with the machine that does the lettering. If you compare the pictures they all look very similar. The script is so tiny on these that I would have never noticed there's an issue if someone hadn't pointed it out. With it being so unnoticeable I certainly wouldn't fault Spyderco for passing these through QC. Unless the QC people are inspecting the script on each knife with a magnifying glass it's likely they didn't notice it either. I think it would be silly for anyone to complain or want their money back for this. Like I said, I think it's actually kind of neat.

As far as being suspicious, I'm not worried about these sprint run knives being counterfeit if that's what you mean. I could see questioning a knife that's been in production for awhile and commonly counterfeited but not these.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

True. I don’t think they are counterfeit. I should have said curious rather than suspicious. It is possible that the machine responsible for the lettering had a malfunction and some of this batch was hand-lettered as a consequence.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Mine has normal lettering.
ol_lukey

Post by ol_lukey »

so much for my theory that theyd start dropping every 2 weeks. i had a camping trip in september and was really hoping i'd have my stretch before then.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

The lettering on my Endura is fine. The Delica has the same odd lettering in the posted picture.

I'd guess the laser machine or the operator was on the blink.

Not a big deal for me.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Looks like the Ladybugs are starting to show up in stock.

In stock currently at Bento, for those interested.
-Nick :bug-red
rizz

Post by rizz »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:48 pm
Looks like the Ladybugs are starting to show up in stock.

In stock currently at Bento, for those interested.
YESSSS! FINALLY. However, I'm going to have to wait till other places get them. Cant bring my self to spend $15 shipping on a $43 knife smaller than my pinky.
I like ladybugs.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Been using this since it's release. Looked new until I cut into a Bratwurst on the grill yesterday - it took a patina in a hurry (I really like the look of the vtoku patina)! What surprised me is that it looks like the SUS410 also stained. I wiped the knife down shortly after use and washed with soap and water within 5 or 10 minutes. The stainless on my HAP40 has held up much better against corrosion. Anybody else notice this on any of their Vtoku knives?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I experienced similar results preparing some steaks, removing some fat, this weekend. Little hand soap removed the staining from the sus410 but the Vtoku remained. Rubbed it with some oil then switched to my blurple PM2 once the steaks were on the grill. The difference between the two, with just a wipe of a paper towel, was noticeable the 110v wiped clean and the SUS410 smeared. Probably just the finishes? Not sure. On a side note of all my spyderco's the Vtoku Endura has had the least sharp factory edge.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearfacedkiller

Wright.88 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:55 am
Been using this since it's release. Looked new until I cut into a Bratwurst on the grill yesterday - it took a patina in a hurry (I really like the look of the vtoku patina)! What surprised me is that it looks like the SUS410 also stained. I wiped the knife down shortly after use and washed with soap and water within 5 or 10 minutes. The stainless on my HAP40 has held up much better against corrosion. Anybody else notice this on any of their Vtoku knives?
I believe that it is from the carbon steel being ground into the stainless steel when the primary grind was being ground. My Super Blue Delica, Stretch and Endura all had that. You probably didn't notice on your HAP40 because it is much less reactive than these carbon steels.

-Darby
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ I dig that!
rizz

Post by rizz »

Looks like Knifeworks got the ladybugs in. Never got their email notification however.
I like ladybugs.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

My Endura patina’d very quickly after cutting some strawberries. I like the look and also noticed 410 steel appeared to take some color too.