VTOKU Sprint Run

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

Re: VTOKU Sprint Run

Post by ZMW »

Can someone explain to me why this will be a fun steel? Sounds like a very basic carbon steel, but it can run at higher Rc's. So, what will the edge retention be like? Or, if edge retention is avg, is the joy of this steel the amazing sharp edge it will take?

My only carbon steels are PMA11, K390, and a good ole Kabar Crovan 1095
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

ZMW wrote:Can someone explain to me why this will be a fun steel? Sounds like a very basic carbon steel, but it can run at higher Rc's. So, what will the edge retention be like? Or, if edge retention is avg, is the joy of this steel the amazing sharp edge it will take?

My only carbon steels are PMA11, K390, and a good ole Kabar Crovan 1095
I'm sort of seconding you on this, however I would very much enjoy to purchase a Stretch in this steel and compare it say, to my grandfather's 100 year old butcher knife while we cut deer together.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see sprint runs of the kitchen knives in some of these steels. I use my kitchen knives every day, multiple times each day, and I'd love to upgrade them a bit (and get more time with the sprint steels in the process).
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ZMW wrote:Can someone explain to me why this will be a fun steel?....
Well for me a hawkbill dragonfly with a PE tool steel would be more 'fun-ctional' than just plain 'fun'. But I must admit I get a joy out of trying new steels. Take Cru-wear for example, not the best steel I own, not even in my top 5 favorite steels, but man have I enjoyed getting to know that steel. LC200N as well, it's fun to see how sharp you can get it, how it performs, what kind of abuse it can take. I also like collecting the Sprint colors, Super-blue Grey, Hap40 Burnt Orange, and now the VTOKU Blue. I care more about the steel, but the FRN color is definitely a factor as well :cool:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

sal wrote:
anagarika wrote:
sal wrote:We d have some variations in blades on some of these models. eg: Delica Warnie, hawkbills, Emerson openers, etc. Any interest in adding those?

sal
Sal,

How about zero grind / scandi for the emerson opener? The steel can take it I assume ;).
Hi Chris,

Not too many steels will support a zero rind for general use.

sal
Hi Sal,

Yes not too many. I guess we’ll find out when it’s made? From reading comments here, it’s tough rather than chippy, so probably it works for zero scandi on the sabre Emerson models.
Chris :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chris,

Zero Scandi might work. Haven't yet decided to make an Emerson Opener. I imagine you could re-profile?

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:Hi Chris,

Zero Scandi might work. Haven't yet decided to make an Emerson Opener. I imagine you could re-profile?

sal
I recall a ZDP189 Endura that was reground just shy of zero scandi making its way to Golden almost a decade ago :p

ZDP held up surprisingly well in that Endura. I can post pictures from my PC later. I'd try a zero grind scandi emerson endura in this new steel. 15DPS microbevel would take care of any chipping should it occur.
:unicorn
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

sal wrote:Hi Chris,

sal
Hi Sal,

Thanks. We can reprofile, I think Unit/Ken did with his Pac Salt.
Having options to buy directly is easier :D. I have only diamond files :o
Just thinking out loud, Emerson version should benefit from tough steel ..
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

In on the DF one; it would be my first one :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I pre-ordered all of these. Missed the Hap40 and Superblue runs, and not missing out on this one! Love the FRN color on these as well! *EDITED* Please review our forum rules. - TazKristi
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Please disregard!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I can only afford one so hopefully I can get a Delica but I'd be happy with another Dragonfly or my first Endura.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Well... I did ask for a Stretch in a different Steel on another post :spyder:

:cool:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

another vote for more Emersons +1
Hawkbills/Reverse S in this steel look interesting too
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

ThePeacent wrote:another vote for more Emersons +1
I think having it with PE will be the best test platform. As noted by Cliff, geometry plays a big role in cutting, more than steel or HT. Having similar geometry will result in more reliable feedback if we all want to learn about the steel. Most of user will have PE version of the FRN seki lines. Not many have reverse S, some might have hawkbill. Just my opinion, but if Spyderco comes up with more variation, better for us.
BelgiumRofls

Post by BelgiumRofls »

+1 for Emerson Delica, PE Lil' Matriarch if we're going crazy with alt blade shapes.
argyle1812

Post by argyle1812 »

In for an endura. Hoping to try my first patina out on this one.
pdptrow

Post by pdptrow »

+1
TomAiello wrote:I'd love to see sprint runs of the kitchen knives in some of these steels. I use my kitchen knives every day, multiple times each day, and I'd love to upgrade them a bit (and get more time with the sprint steels in the process).
I like your thinking, hehe, Spyderco kitchen knife in Japanese carbon steel! I'd buy.
:cool:
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Here is an interesting video I found that talks about what could be possible with VTOKU:

https://youtu.be/C_Uex1RRkKs
levs18

Post by levs18 »

ThePeacent wrote:another vote for more Emersons +1
I’m hoping we can get a bunch of support for an Emerson endura. I think that model has been deserving of a steel upgrade for quite a while. I would like to add to my collection...