Official 2018 Catalog Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jstrange

Re: Official 2018 Catalog Discussion

Post by jstrange »

Nice catalog. Lance the Waterway looks outstanding! I am still keeping my fingers crossed for a Street Bowie with an uncontested blade. A sprint run would be nice ;)
:spyder: jstrange
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Are those shiny clips on the un-coated Military's for real?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Reading back on my posts i must add that the disappointment over the Kopa took focus away from the nice knives i loved in the 2018 lineup.
I am sorry about that Sal and crew! Why is it that us humans always find it easier to ***** and whine than to give credit?!
Bottom line - apart from the IMO faux pas with the Kopa, there are several models i definetly will pick up and enjoy!
Thanx much :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Larry_Mott wrote:Reading back on my posts i must add that the disappointment over the Kopa took focus away from the nice knives i loved in the 2018 lineup.
I am sorry about that Sal and crew! Why is it that us humans always find it easier to ***** and whine than to give credit?!
Bottom line - apart from the IMO faux pas with the Kopa, there are several models i definetly will pick up and enjoy!

Eh, I forgive ya. It's a well anticipated knife, it's easy to have your hopes up on a model like this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Evil D wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:Reading back on my posts i must add that the disappointment over the Kopa took focus away from the nice knives i loved in the 2018 lineup.

Eh, I forgive ya. It's a well anticipated knife, it's easy to have your hopes up on a model like this.
Yeah, i was certain it would look like the one i photoshopped.. Oh well :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:It's a well anticipated knife, it's easy to have your hopes up on a model like this.
Agree.
Hopefully "grandson" at Moki will grow as a professional enough and Sal will be more comfortable to ask him to produce something like his grandfather and father made years ago.
Still plenty of interesting knives in 2018 catalog.
I am very glad to see Native Salt. I do not need Salt knives, but this is another sign of recognition of my favorite model. I am very happy to see that within last few years Native receiving the treatment, which this model deserves. IMHO this is the best EDC in Spyderco line-up. Not too small, not too big. Not too thin, not too thick. Native5 is a good knife for any occasion, which can cover 99% of regular knifenut EDC needs. Probably Spyderco need to make Native5hawk SE for Joe :) May be in 2019. Joe always need a new hawk.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

bh49 wrote:
Evil D wrote:Probably Spyderco need to make Native5hawk SE for Joe :) May be in 2019. Joe always need a new hawk.
:eek: .... more hawkbill.
Justin
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

After some more time to digest the new catalog, I'm still most excited about the LC200n options. Definitely picking up a Native and Waterway as soon as they drop.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Yeah, i was certain it would look like the one i photoshopped.. Oh well :)
Understandable. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come! This one may be plain but hopefully this is just the beginning of a new era of clipless Kopas. :) At least we can hope so.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

The catalog is the first I've heard that the Hanan is running full stainless steel skeletonized liners. I always thought it'd be titanium framed. This does help avoid any ball bearing/thin washer issues.
brj

Post by brj »

The catalog is nothing short of spectacular, will definitely ask for the hard copy - thanks to all @ Spyderco involved in putting it together.

For me, an interesting combination of instant must-have's (Respect, Calypso, Rhino), some maybe's (Carribean leaf, PPT sprint, both clipitools), a major disappointment (the salt Remote Release has failed to make an appearance in 2018), a great *fingers crossed* moment (the Native salt seems to pave the way for the LC200N Millie) and some other stuff I'm still pondering.

A huge thumbs up for not migrating the Pacific Salt to the E4 platform yet, will surely get an additional back-up sometimes during the coming months. Oh, and I'm not fooled by the formal lack of a Maxamet Millie, will hold on to the funds 'cause I have faith :)
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

I put in my request for a catalog like 4+ weeks ago, and I still haven't received it. I also reside in CO so it's not having to travel far...

Should I submit another catalog request or is there someone at Spyderco that I can follow up with?

Thanks in advance...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

wolfgaze wrote:I put in my request for a catalog like 4+ weeks ago, and I still haven't received it. I also reside in CO so it's not having to travel far...

Should I submit another catalog request or is there someone at Spyderco that I can follow up with?

Thanks in advance...
I'm not sure they've actually started shipping the 2018 catalogs yet. The note on their web site says they anticipate mailing to start at the end of January.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

Sharp Guy wrote:
wolfgaze wrote:I put in my request for a catalog like 4+ weeks ago, and I still haven't received it. I also reside in CO so it's not having to travel far...

Thanks in advance...
I'm not sure they've actually started shipping the 2018 catalogs yet. The note on their web site says they anticipate mailing to start at the end of January.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/
Oh, whoops! Thanks for the info...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I ordered some spring kits for my Autonomy and at the end of the ordering process you're asked if you want a catalog and I check the box and got one.
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I checked the box when I ordered a t-shirt, but didn't get one. Crossing my fingers that I'll have one soon!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just got my order last week so they may just now be shipping them out.
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Just thought I'd mention that I received my catalog in the mail today. I placed my order shortly after the electronic version was available. Hopefully everyone who's been waiting will receive their's soon.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Also received mine as well today! :) One thing I noticed right away was the light texturing on just the rocks pictured on the front and back covers - a very cool touch (pun intended ;))
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hoping mine comes soon!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!