Official 2018 Catalog Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Official 2018 Catalog Discussion

Post by Larry_Mott »

Not to be an ungrateful whiner.. - But, this is what i envisioned when i heard of the new Kopa, and how i would have loved it instead of just buying it to have a complete collection.

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Larry_Mott wrote:Not to be an ungrateful whiner.. - But, this is what i envisioned when i heard of the new Kopa, and how i would have loved it instead of just buying it to have a complete collection.
I am assuming that the idea is to sell it as a blank canvas. I think that is why the SS Delica is still in production. The sky is the limit with this guy. Probably not ideal for a collector who does not want to mod but ideal for somebody who wants a truly one of a kind gents knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:Not to be an ungrateful whiner.. - But, this is what i envisioned when i heard of the new Kopa, and how i would have loved it instead of just buying it to have a complete collection.
I am assuming that the idea is to sell it as a blank canvas. I think that is why the SS Delica is still in production. The sky is the limit with this guy. Probably not ideal for a collector who does not want to mod but ideal for somebody who wants a truly one of a kind gents knife.
Maybe you're right.. I just see it as a former lingerie model in a track suit :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That Kopa is primed for engraving. Inlays and bolsters are great but it's a wide open canvas.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Ha!

I see both sides. It underwhelms me too. I imagine custom engraving isn't cheap either. :eek:

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Maybe there will be more in the future?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
I suppose one could machine out an area for inlays, but that's going to be super expensive. I like Larry's idea where it's still all SS, but the SS insert can be removed for customization (or left in and engraved). While the solid SS handle is great for engraving, I'm not sure that it fits all that well with the rest of the series.

On the plus side, now I don't feel like I need to own this one, so can put money towards the other knives I prefer.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

jabba359 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
I suppose one could machine out an area for inlays, but that's going to be super expensive. I like Larry's idea where it's still all SS, but the SS insert can be removed for customization (or left in and engraved). While the solid SS handle is great for engraving, I'm not sure that it fits all that well with the rest of the series.

On the plus side, now I don't feel like I need to own this one, so can put money towards the other knives I prefer.
You're not afflicted by the Pokemon syndrome like me i guess. :) I will be damned if i have 16/17..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Ha!

I see both sides. It underwhelms me too. I imagine custom engraving isn't cheap either. :eek:

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Maybe there will be more in the future?
Yeah I see both sides of cost too. People don't like the vanilla version but probably wouldn't like the cost of fancy inlays in today's dollars either.
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I am already considering the possibilities to make/engrave a fake bolster/inlay border and polish the "bolsters"..
For me cost is secondary (within reasonable limits of course) Rather a more costly one that blends in with the others than a compromise, heck, why not a 18:th FRN model? :P
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It wouldn't be hard at all to machine out a space for an inlay and leave the ends clean as bolsters. What were street prices like for the original inlaid versions? Is this one cheap enough to offset the cost of mods?

This one also doesn't have a clip, which will make some people very happy.
~David
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Evil D wrote:It wouldn't be hard at all to machine out a space for an inlay and leave the ends clean as bolsters. What were street prices like for the original inlaid versions? Is this one cheap enough to offset the cost of mods?

This one also doesn't have a clip, which will make some people very happy.
You're right, with the right tools and skills it would be pretty basic to mill out the scales. However i would rather Spyderco had done that for me than mod a brand new knife..
Original MSRP for the O.G 16 was between 160-ish to 300$
bearfacedkiller

Larry_Mott wrote:I am already considering the possibilities to make/engrave a fake bolster/inlay border and polish the "bolsters"..
For me cost is secondary (within reasonable limits of course) Rather a more costly one that blends in with the others than a compromise, heck, why not a 18:th FRN model? :P
Smooth contoured frn with a palladium bug inlay like the Centofante3 has? ;)
-Darby
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

The Zoomer is a great looking knife!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nicely done, Spyderco Crew! The new ‘18 catalog looks superb. :) There are a number of designs that have my attention. This will be another exciting year!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Has the street price been announced for the rhino yet?
Josh
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

Pre-Ordered Shabaria sprint. I've been begging for one of those for years, and it's FINALLY happening when I'm in a position to jump on it!

I asked for exactly this,and I cannot WAIT for them to start dropping!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Must-haves for me:
1. Waterway
2. Native Salt
3. Rhino
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

there are a couple of knives in this catalogue i probably won't buy, but the sprint PPT is a must and it's pretty pricey - i hope some of the ebay retailers 'll get it since shipping alone from knifecenter and the usual suspects is 30,- (+TAX)
I Really wish we would have to pay the same prices as in the States.

Also the sandwich sprints sound awesome!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

johnson wrote:It's been asked a couple of times and no answers yet ! I'll give it another go ! Where is the Para Military 2 and Para 3 Maxamet models ?
Couldn't say about the Military 2. I think the Maxamet para 3 is officially a 2017 sprint and may be coming soon. So it's not in the 2018 catalog.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
olywa

Post by olywa »

Looks like Native love for me this year:
- Native 5 Salt PE (a very pleasant surprise)
- Native 5 LW Black PE (finally!)

Wondering what steel is being used for rest of the black coated hardware in the Salt?