Native5 is not smooth to open

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Coupant

Native5 is not smooth to open

Post by Coupant »

Hi all, the native i just got is stiff on opening when the blade is at 90 degree from the knife.
I tool it apart,everything looks Nice and smooth,i played with the torque of the pivot screw,the point where it gets good is the point where the blade is too loose.
Any advise would be welcome.
Thank you
tangent

Re: Native5 is not smooth to open

Post by tangent »

Mine (Orange, S90V) was stiff but now is very smooth. In fact, it will practically 'free fall' when closing (like you see the PM2 do in so many videos). Really like the Native 5 LW...carries so nice inside the pocket...and I have gotten used to opening it. Not as easy to deploy as a Delica, but carries better for me inside the pocket (not clipped).

Cheers
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

First question would be, "not smooth" compared to what?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Is it simply a lot of resistance while opening, or does it feel rough and gritty?

Many Spyderco lockbacks require a break-in period to reduce the amount of force required to open them, but they should never feel gritty like sand is in the pivot. My Police 3, for example, was very stiff when I purchased it, but a couple weeks later it had broken in very nicely.

I would only be concerned if it feels rough and gritty.
:unicorn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Supposed to stay closed until it's not. I like lock backs
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

twinboysdad wrote:Supposed to stay closed until it's not. I like lock backs
I know, right?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Coupant

Post by Coupant »

I compare with a salt1 and a dragonfly2 and only half way into opening(the second half) it fells gritty
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Coupant wrote:I compare with a salt1 and a dragonfly2 and only half way into opening(the second half) it fells gritty
If the lower part of the lock bar head is smooth and the part of the tang that it rides on is smooth, then the next place to look is the interface between the sides of the tang and scales (or tang, washers and liners if it's not a lightweight model), if those are clean and smooth (check for sharp edges on the PB washers if you have them) then the pivot and the hole in the tang that the pivot rides in are next. If *all* of those have nice polished surfaces and it still feels gritty, then I'd try a tiny dab of some high quality grease on all the sliding surfaces, that may smooth things out until the knife really breaks in from wear/useage.

As mentioned before, the N5 has a strong spring and that does make it more effort to open than many other Spydies, none of mine are even remotely "flickable". However all three are exceptionally smooth.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

I don't know about others but I prefer a bit of resistance when opening my Spydercos ...
palonej

Post by palonej »

Just flick the snot out of it and in a week or so you’ll be back letting us know how smoooooth it is!
Just remember....it’s a lock back, it won’t fly Open like a Para 2.
Joe