Titanium Military opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Volfan4u

Titanium Military opinions

Post by Volfan4u »

Looking for opinions on the different Ti Military's. What's everyone's favorites? Fluted? Let me know and why. Thanks
Tennessee Mike
Tdog

Re: Titanium Military opinions

Post by Tdog »

Really can't go wrong with any Millie. G10 is lighter but the Ti gives more heft. Options of different steels and a great blade shape. Get one before the price increase.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fluted is so beautiful but I can't live with the extra weight and prefer CF.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
phaust

Post by phaust »

Had the half-and-half with an M4 blade but got rid of it. The titanium added weight to no advantage while being slicker and made the blade a bit less effortless to open. I've always been curious to try the fluted, though.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Fluted is beautiful, but imho ti adds nothing but weight and style. I prefer CF for lightness and stiffness.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I prefer the Fluted to the regular TI model. The Fluted is lighter, better looking and has contoured scales. It also hides wear better. The standard TI is quite heavy but the Fluted isn't bad. I own a sturdy belt and am not too weight sensitive so I don't mind either one. Neither one is as abrasive to your pants as peel ply.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have never purchased a Ti Millie, but the fluted model I was gifted is flawless. They are certainly pocket jewelry with function, but I still have never purchased a RIL model. Of my 9 Military models, the fluted is the only one. As David said, the military is better as a lightweight and that is where it performs best. The one advantage the fluted has is the comfort in hand.

I have one other Military with contoured scales and it tells me all I need to know about ergonomics. Rounded is the best for actual use.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I've never handled the fluted version. The solid TI is too heavy IMO. The all G-10 is great. The half TI is also great but it loses the svelte balance of the original.
For a first Millie I'd recommend the G-10.
Volfan4u

Post by Volfan4u »

Great comments by all. Thanks
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As a huge fan of the C-36 Military model I would like to say a couple of things regarding "Titanium" handles. Now I'm not a big fan of the "fluted" versions even though I wouldn't turn one down if it had a supersteel that I liked. But I like the more conventional type Titanium handle/scales. The older Ti models like the original ATR and the Ti Salsa had the handles that I liked>> a Titanium handle along those lines would really appeal to me.

There is something really cool about the properties of Titanium that I really like>> it has a really grippy feel to it and you can just sense the overall strength that it has. Titanium has properties that you can really feel confident about. Some of the folders I've had with T-6061 aircraft grade aluminum and I've owned and used a lot of stainless handled models that I believe would have even been better with Titanium.
Volfan4u

Post by Volfan4u »

Am I crazy because I don't mind the weight at all? Just feels more sturdy and tough to me. I know I'm probably in the minority here but it's just the feeling I get. Again I appreciate all the comments and opinions.
Volfan4u

Post by Volfan4u »

By the way Blade HQ has the Fluted Ti Mil for 199.99 Pretty good price imo.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:I have never purchased a Ti Millie, but the fluted model I was gifted is flawless. They are certainly pocket jewelry with function, but I still have never purchased a RIL model. Of my 9 Military models, the fluted is the only one. As David said, the military is better as a lightweight and that is where it performs best. The one advantage the fluted has is the comfort in hand.

I have one other Military with contoured scales and it tells me all I need to know about ergonomics. Rounded is the best for actual use.

Yes! Being on the fluted/contoured CF!!!!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I absolutely love the fluted Ti Military, enough that I own 4 of them in addition to all the other Spydies I own. I would probably buy another one now that they are discontinued and on clearance, except that I'm unemployed and need to watch my purchases more carefully, I have around 300 Spyderco knives now... I was really hoping there might be a sprint run of the fluted Ti with a super-steel, but there is nothing wrong with S30V either.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I really like the Spyderco Military and appreciate its slim design and light weight, and when the Spyderco Titanium Military came out, I was very pleased. It has all of the wonderful features of the Military and the Chris Reeve Sebenza that I really liked... I really like the titanium slabs and the Reeve Integral Lock (RIL) of the Sebenza, and to have those features on the Military is most outstanding. Personally, I do not mind the extra heft of the Titanium Military, and I really like the extra durability that the titanium construction and RIL provides.

I also like the Spyderco Fluted Titanium Military for its beautiful design and contours. Between the two for outdoor use, I would go with the Titanium Military for its practical robust built.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Have had them all pretty much and the fluted is the way to go in any with titanium in my opinion. Sooooo much more comfortable in hand. That being said I would rather have a g10 or CF model any day because being super light weight and super strong is where the Millie shines.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

My new KW CF/Ti is AWESOME!!!! I love the stone wash on the titanium and the peel ply carbon fiber process they use is great! Gives just enough texture and grip! Spyderco knocks it out of the park with ALL of there titanium folders!
Josh
Volfan4u

Post by Volfan4u »

Great info guys.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

I own two of the fluted, several in g10, one all cf, and the KW exclusive to/CF. I would recommend either the fluted ti, or the KW model. Depends on your priorities. If you want the best aesthetics the fluted is unbeatable, but the KW hybrid is probably more practical. I had the regular ti a while back and sold it because the fluted is so much better.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Volfan4u wrote:Am I crazy because I don't mind the weight at all? Just feels more sturdy and tough to me. I know I'm probably in the minority here but it's just the feeling I get. Again I appreciate all the comments and opinions.
Not crazy, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

While the Ti Military might feel stronger, I have never broken a G10 Military, even using the old version with only one liner to chop small tree limbs.

I can't think of anything I'd do with a military that would break the handle before the blade, but everyone uses their tools differently.

I like my knives around 3oz. I'd rather carry two knives that weigh 3oz than one that weighs 6oz. Right now that's a serrated folder and PE fixed blade.

I own a G10 Millie and have owned some CF versions in the past. If I were to ever get a Ti Military, I'd get a Ti/CF 50/50 version since they're not much heavier. But I'm happy with my G10/CTS204P Military.
:unicorn