PMA 11 vs Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shad

PMA 11 vs Maxamet

Post by shad »

I really like Maxamet and in another thread about the new PD#1 mule, some one said perhaps it can give maxamet a run for the money. Well I thought I was ordering the PD#1 mule but clicked on the PMA 11 and not knowing the difference I sharpened them up to 2000 grit glass stones on my edge pro and gave them both to my son to try out on deer. Well the next morning he got two does and used each blade to skin and cut up the deer.

He said the PMA 11 hands down beat the maxamet blade, not only that but the pma 11 was still to sharp to skin a deer after cuting it up and de-boning, (said the pma 11 kept cutting through the skin).

Finding it hard to belive I checked the composition and saw that I had ordered the wrong knife, so I ordered another PMA 11 and a PD#1 and thought I would share my experience.

Has anyone else had any experience with this steel? Any one used abused it? He also said bones did nothing to dull it. I did a search and there is next to nothing on PMA 11.
Johnnie1801

Re: PMA 11 vs Maxamet

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Welcome to the forum Shad, PM A11 is in the same steel category as CPM 10v and K390, they're all similar just made by different companies. PD1 is in the same family as Cruwear.

You can check Jim Ankerson's steel rankings on bladeforums for more info

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ran ... pe.793481/
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I do have use/abuse :rolleyes: experience with maxamet and A11 class steel (K390), and would expect maxamet to come out completely unscathed after processing only a single deer, unless sharpened too thin and chipped out.
shad

Post by shad »

I sharpened it 15 degrees per side, hard to believe it chipped out that much, though I have not seen the blade since my son still has it. I was thinking maybe the salt from our hands degrading the edge, when I check the sharpness of maxamet with my fingers and not clean the edge, it degrades the edge. Pretty badly, pretty fast.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Interesting results! Let us know what the edges look like when you get them back.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

Jim's results are good in my book. Folks however should not make the mistake of looking at the numbers and believing that they are comparing apples to apples given the different geometries.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Other than prying bone apart, I don't see anything that would chip the edge.
As for dulling, nothing there either. Not long enough for corrosion to have an effect, and A11 would react the same.
I think it's something else.