Do I really "need" a Southard?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ekimox

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Post by ekimox »

I lusted after the Southard for a long time and could never pull the trigger because of the price. I bought a new one on sale and after carrying it daily for a month, I'd now pay full price. It's a beautiful knife, incredibly solid in hand, silky smooth to operate, and a joy to use and carry. The stonewash mirror blade is wicked sharp, the dark titanium body is gorgeous, and the flipping action has smoothed out beautifully. I did add a deep carry clip from MXG Gear which has made it much more enjoyable for me to carry. My PM2 and P3 flick open a little easier with a little more authority but not with the same meaty 'thunk' of the Southard. It's a very addictive action. I just wish I could spidie flick it open right handed. The DLC one is now calling my name too :)

Needless to say, I'm a huge fan and I'm really happy I finally got one.

If anyone is on the fence about this knife I'd highly recommend picking one up.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Good review ekimox!
Honestly man, grab that Black Southard AT THAT PRICE while you still can brother! I've had both, and the Black Southard is an awesome piece. She is a little different - aside from the obvious, I feel she has a bit smoother flipping action and, the G10 is smoother. There has never been and will never be a better opportunity to afford both versions of the Southard. These were very pricey Spydies. Good luck.
ekimox

Post by ekimox »

Thanks MacLaren! I'm going to seriously consider picking up the black Southard soon.
Brendanenon

Post by Brendanenon »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
wheats wrote:Mine arrived today. To say blown away is an understatement. I've always thought the "if you could only keep 1" threads were a little silly, and they are, but I really think I could be happy with only a Southard and a dragonfly. Knocked the PITS down to #2 of my nicest knives.
The quality level of the fit and finish is hard to find elsewhere :spyder:

I have got to agree. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the brown and other complaints I've heard. I've barley put this knife down in the past few days, and I have several new military's and para2's. I've never had a Ti or anything from the Taichung factory. What a beautiful knife!
I just wish I could bring myself to by the blacked out as well. I think they would both look better after switching the scales between the two.
PM2 M390 red, Military M4 natural, Military 204p green, 2x Southard's, Positron s35 orange, Raven 2 Byrd
Brendanenon

Post by Brendanenon »

Spydersense wrote:Got my new black Southard the other day. I'm very happy to have one again. It's a great knife! This time I'm not selling it off for something else. That was a mistake that won't be made twice. :)
I've been curious about the wear on the black ti cnitride treatment. Did you put much use into your first southard?
I just picked up the brown and it's going to be a favorite for years to come.
PM2 M390 red, Military M4 natural, Military 204p green, 2x Southard's, Positron s35 orange, Raven 2 Byrd
Brendanenon

Post by Brendanenon »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
MacLaren wrote: That's the way I remember my Black Southard.
Really wish I hadn't sold it off.
Will prolly have to get another :D
Dokute wrote: I can confirm the black handles are noticeably smoother than the brown. I got to handle both at the SFO and actually went with the brown at the last minute because of their greater "grippy-ness"s. Very nice knife and the flipper works great!
Enjoy!
Thanks MacLaren and Dokute for confirming! I've been carrying the Southard all weekend, and I am not really sure why I got rid of my brown one in the first place. Must have been a brief lapse in judgment... :o

Nice knife that seems to lock into my hand really well, mostly due to the lock bar access cutout. Flipping action is solid, although not as snappy as my Mantra. But it fires reliably with either "light switch" or "push button" technique. I am happy that I got the black, if for no reason other than it is different than my previous Southard. I'm not going to get an aftermarket deep carry clip for this (ad I did previously) as when in hand the stock clip is barely noticeable. Both the grind and the black coating are flawless.

Overall, I am really really enjoying it. However, after a VERY expensive 2 weeks, I am going to turn it down for a few months. I have unsubscribed from the Deals thread to demonstrate my seriousness... :D

I've been in the same spending spree trend. I'm putting my self on hold, well that and I'm out of cash so not too much to do with self control.
Sooo,what deals thread do you speak of?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Brendanenon wrote:Sooo,what deals thread do you speak of?
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 1#p1197151
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Brendanenon wrote:
Spydersense wrote:Got my new black Southard the other day. I'm very happy to have one again. It's a great knife! This time I'm not selling it off for something else. That was a mistake that won't be made twice. :)
I've been curious about the wear on the black ti cnitride treatment. Did you put much use into your first southard?
I just picked up the brown and it's going to be a favorite for years to come.
Honestly, I didn't use the first one enough to wear any of the finish off.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

From what I hear, genuine DLC coating like spydercos have is almost impossible to normally wear off. Streaks are just material deposited onto the the coating during cutting.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Brendanenon

Post by Brendanenon »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Brendanenon wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Brendanenon wrote:
Also any recommendations to finish out my current spending spree?

Sliverax :D
I've been seriously considering one of those myself!

Yeah I like the design concept. Strikes me as a little on the light duty side though.
What do you think is light duty about it? It's certainly not a hard use knife but it's not dainty either. I'd say it's similar to a PM2 but the Sliverax has a stronger tip.
I admit that I've never handled one. I recently watched a cool nick shabaz video about it where someone removed the flipper tab and liked it more. I think it would be great for a daily carry but I'll have to wait a bit. Id like to see some variation in the model. Not too into carbon fiber. Anyway it's on a somewhat short list of knifes too buy.
Do you think they are going to bump up in price with the 40 to 35 % increase? I'm still seeing it for the same rate which is cool.
Brendanenon

Post by Brendanenon »

curlyhairedboy wrote:From what I hear, genuine DLC coating like spydercos have is almost impossible to normally wear off. Streaks are just material deposited onto the the coating during cutting.
Southards have a titanium carbon nitride treatment. I guess they started using this on the southards before spyderco started using DLC. So not as good but I've seen mostly good things on these southards. Still I'm gonna stick with naked steel.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Same here, my spares are all normal brown ones. Gotta love that mirror stonewash!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

curlyhairedboy wrote:Same here, my spares are all normal brown ones. Gotta love that mirror stonewash!
I agree. I wish Spyderco would use it more often.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

MacLaren wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:Same here, my spares are all normal brown ones. Gotta love that mirror stonewash!
I agree. I wish Spyderco would use it more often.
well with the southward and bowie discontinued, it's getting rarer - the spydiechef is satin.