Do I really "need" a Southard?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
roger-roger

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Post by roger-roger »

Got my shipping confirmation. Looks like I've bypassed the fluted Mili again.

To answer the question in the title of this thread--I'm not sure but I ordered one anyway. :confused: :spyder: > > > :spyder: :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

roger-roger wrote:To answer the question in the title of this thread--I'm not sure but I ordered one anyway. :confused: :spyder: > > > :spyder: :)
Haha, I know I don't actually need a Southard. Just like I don't actually need most of the other knives I've procured in the last few years. In fact, I just put the Sliverax back in my pocket after carrying a M2 LW & UKPK LW today and it feels so right that I'm questioning why I ordered the Southard. For me the Sliverax is that good.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

I also received shipping confirmation from KC today so it was pretty quick.

Prior to pulling the trigger, I was contemplating very hard on which color to pick and choose from. At the end I went with original brown handle so I’m bit curious to hear which one is favorite among others here.

Thanks
~spy4life~

Collections: GB1, GB2, Dice, Urban-K390, Positron-S35VN, Sliverax, Southard brown&blk, CS Native 5 S90V, KW Military S90V Carbon/Ti
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I just love that Stone Wash finish on the Blade. ( Brown Version )
It's very slick. Think you'll love it!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

spy4life wrote:I also received shipping confirmation from KC today so it was pretty quick.

Prior to pulling the trigger, I was contemplating very hard on which color to pick and choose from. At the end I went with original brown handle so I’m bit curious to hear which one is favorite among others here.

Thanks
I was a late fan and by the time I got interested the DLC version came out and I was certain I wanted it until I held the standard version. The stonewashed blade goes really well with the titanium finish and all that is lost under DLC. I even came to like the brown scale, it's a nice departure from all the back G10/CF I have.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

spy4life wrote:I also received shipping confirmation from KC today so it was pretty quick.

Thanks

There was no decision in it, brown was the only choice.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Thanks
Well, I had a brown one several years ago. In a moment of weakness, I sold it (for a song). One of several reasons I used to justify the sale was the brown scale, which I didn't love. (Although I now have a pair of brown knives - Endura and the Yojimbo S90V exclusives - that I really enjoy. So tastes obviously change!) in any case, I went for the black. My ideal would be the black scale with a stone washed blade. Obviously that isn't going to happen.

Looking forward to it. (I'd guess mine will arrive from BHQ on Friday!)
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

MacLaren wrote:I just love that Stone Wash finish on the Blade. ( Brown Version )
Thanks and I also think brown handle has more characters with titanium and stonewashed blade.
~spy4life~

Collections: GB1, GB2, Dice, Urban-K390, Positron-S35VN, Sliverax, Southard brown&blk, CS Native 5 S90V, KW Military S90V Carbon/Ti
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

spy4life wrote:
MacLaren wrote:I just love that Stone Wash finish on the Blade. ( Brown Version )
Thanks and I also think brown handle has more characters with titanium and stonewashed blade.
Your welcome.
Its just a gorgeous knife.
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

[/quote] I was a late fan and by the time I got interested the DLC version came out and I was certain I wanted it until I held the standard version. The stonewashed blade goes really well with the titanium finish and all that is lost under DLC. I even came to like the brown scale, it's a nice departure from all the back G10/CF I have.[/quote]
I felt black version has too much of tactical look to it which I personally think doesn't go well with overall design of the knife. The only DLC knife that I like the most is PM2 which has that tactical look written all over it.

Thanks.
~spy4life~

spy4life

Post by spy4life »

Evil D wrote:

Thanks
I was a late fan and by the time I got interested the DLC version came out and I was certain I wanted it until I held the standard version. The stonewashed blade goes really well with the titanium finish and all that is lost under DLC. I even came to like the brown scale, it's a nice departure from all the back G10/CF I have.
I felt black version has too much of tactical look to it which I personally think doesn't go well with overall design of the knife. The only DLC knife that I like the most is PM2 which has that tactical look written all over it.

Thanks.
~spy4life~

murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

If there’s still a brown one in stock tomorrow I’m going to order it. You guys suck! (Someone please buy all of these before tomorrow!!) Dang my weakness.
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:If there’s still a brown one in stock tomorrow I’m going to order it. You guys suck! (Someone please buy all of these before tomorrow!!) Dang my weakness.
:D
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The Taichung mirrored stonewash is really something unique. Only seen on the Southard, Bowie, and Techno.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

murphjd25 wrote:If there’s still a brown one in stock tomorrow I’m going to order it. You guys suck! (Someone please buy all of these before tomorrow!!) Dang my weakness.
That knife, at that price. Your making a good decision imo.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Apparently I do. Brown showed up today.
Feels great in the hand. Flips well. Detent is strong. G10 is grippy (maybe pocket shredding). Grind is awesome.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

SF Native wrote:Apparently I do. Brown showed up today.
Feels great in the hand. Flips well. Detent is strong. G10 is grippy (maybe pocket shredding). Grind is awesome.
Sounds awesome! I'm excited to get mine. Unfortunately, I decided to have mine shipped to my work address. Would've been fine if BHQ didn't wait 3 days to ship my order. Now the tracking says it'll be delivered on Saturday and I won't be there. Oh well, not the end of the world. I have plenty of other knives to keep me company.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SF Native wrote:Apparently I do. Brown showed up today.
Congratz!!
palonej

Post by palonej »

LMAO!!!!
I blame these shameless enablers all the time Josh!!!
You’re going to LOVE the knife!!
Joe
palonej

Post by palonej »

The Positron has it also! Got the CF version couple days ago and that finish is amazing!
Joe
curlyhairedboy wrote:The Taichung mirrored stonewash is really something unique. Only seen on the Southard, Bowie, and Techno.