Do I really "need" a Southard?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5352
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby Sharp Guy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:14 pm

I typically dislike these kinds of threads yet here I am starting one. :)

The Southard was never really on my radar mostly because it's a little bigger than what I normally like to carry. The high price turned me off a bit too. However, now that they're on clearance I find myself taking another look and I'm considering buying one before they're gone.

The Southard certainly looks like a nice piece but I've been comparing it to the Sliverax (which I adore despite it's size) and based on the specs I shouldn't even be considering buying one. Oddly, here I am thinking about dropping another $155 to add one to my collection of users.

What do you enablers think? Is this one of those knives that every Spydie fan should have? Any Sliverax owners out there that also have the Southard? What do you think?

I'll be interested to read what you have to say.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
toxophilus
Member
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Colorado; Earth

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby toxophilus » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Yes; heads up sent!

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 2296
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby Mushroom » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:29 pm

That discounted price is hard to pass up! I would say, yes. You "need" one, for that price. It will be impossible to find for anywhere near that price a year from now.
Also, Spyderco's first flipper. Doesn't mean much, but it's a cool talking point and a valuable piece to any Spyderco collection! ;)
- Nick

:spyder:

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5352
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby Sharp Guy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:42 pm

Mushroom wrote:That discounted price is hard to pass up! I would say, yes. You "need" one, for that price. It will be impossible to find for anywhere near that price a year from now.
Also, Spyderco's first flipper. Doesn't mean much, but it's a cool talking point and a valuable piece to any Spyderco collection! ;)
That's what I was thinking too Nick. Thx!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby MacLaren » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:49 pm

The Southard is the definition of "Sleek" imo.
It's one of the few that have the stone wash blade, like the Sylz.
It's incredibly nice. And trust me, that 204P is awesome....

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby MacLaren » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Sharp guy, in case you haven't seen my post in another thread, I'll say it again, just in case.
So, just in case you are a Knife Center customer with Knife Rewards points, Knife Center will match the BHQ price of $154
And you can put your points towards the purchase like I did.
I got the Southard for $134.95 shipped, by using my $20 in rewards points. Just so you know.

murphjd25
Member
Posts: 2260
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Bothell,WA

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby murphjd25 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:12 pm

It’s a nice looking knife and I really want one at that price, but I’m completely tapped out right now. Plus it’s a hollow grind, I’ve come to prefer only ffg now. If it’s eating a hole in your pocket I’d say get it, you’ll never see it at that price again!
Josh

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9580
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby bearfacedkiller » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:30 pm

The price is hard to resist for sure. If you are thinking about it then go for it. It will likely be easy to recoup the funds later if you decide you don't like it.

It is a beautiful knife to behold. When I fondle it I am amazed at the design. In many way it is well thought out. I am also reminded that I don't like the thick blade stock, asymmetric scales or the blade shape. It just isn't for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5352
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby Sharp Guy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:20 pm

MacLaren wrote:Sharp guy, in case you haven't seen my post in another thread, I'll say it again, just in case.
So, just in case you are a Knife Center customer with Knife Rewards points, Knife Center will match the BHQ price of $154
And you can put your points towards the purchase like I did.
I got the Southard for $134.95 shipped, by using my $20 in rewards points. Just so you know.
Thanks Mac! I did see your deal in the other thread. A couple weeks ago I bought a digicam/DLC PM2 for my son. He's a US Marine and is about to leave on his first deployment. He already has a couple knives that I've given him but I wanted to have something a little more special to take with him. Anyway, after that purchase I checked my KC rewards point and I had enough for a $50 giftcard. I called KC and had Janie apply it to my FRN Chap pre-order. I ended up paying $30.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby MacLaren » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Sharp Guy wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Sharp guy, in case you haven't seen my post in another thread, I'll say it again, just in case.
So, just in case you are a Knife Center customer with Knife Rewards points, Knife Center will match the BHQ price of $154
And you can put your points towards the purchase like I did.
I got the Southard for $134.95 shipped, by using my $20 in rewards points. Just so you know.
Thanks Mac! I did see your deal in the other thread. A couple weeks ago I bought a digicam/DLC PM2 for my son. He's a US Marine and is about to leave on his first deployment. He already has a couple knives that I've given him but I wanted to have something a little more special to take with him. Anyway, after that purchase I checked my KC rewards point and I had enough for a $50 giftcard. I called KC and had Janie apply it to my FRN Chap pre-order. I ended up paying $30.
Awesome!! KC is hard to beat imo.
And, please thank your son for his service to us thru the Marine Corps. My grandfather was in the U.S.M.C. too :)

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5352
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby Sharp Guy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:32 pm

bearfacedkiller wrote: It is a beautiful knife to behold. When I fondle it I am amazed at the design. In many way it is well thought out. I am also reminded that I don't like the thick blade stock, asymmetric scales or the blade shape. It just isn't for me.
The blade stock and handle thickness are drawbacks for me (weight too). But I have other thick-heavy knives that I like so I guess I shouldn't let it bother me.

I think I'm gonna wait and make a call in the morning to check out another source that was recommended. If that doesn't pan out and they're still in stock at BHQ I'll probably go ahead and order one. If they're gone then I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21334
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby Evil D » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:32 pm

I guarantee you won't be able to buy one for that price a year from now.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 3095
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby wrdwrght » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:39 pm

Word of warning. Build-quality and steel-choice second to none, but if your hands run large you might find the real estate a bit cramped and more rearward than most Spydies.
Marc <— a mere data-point, not an Influencer.

INCOMING: 52100 Military Model. ON RADAR: SwayBack; SE Pacific Salt2; S90V Chief sprint-run; Z-Wear PM Shaman sprint-run. IN DREAMS: Elmax Military Model; Lil’ Native slipjoint; 52100 Shaman; Vanax Chief.

Whitetail addict
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby Whitetail addict » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:08 pm

Yes, its a great knife.
@martial_logan on the instagram.

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8353
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby xceptnl » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:44 pm

I think it is totally worth the money and the discounted price makes it nearly impossible to resist. Despite what others have brought up, the hollow grind is superbly done and it makes the best use of the blade width to keep it thin behind the edge. I also love the F&F, blade steel is a performer that is easy to sharpen, flips easy, etc. Best part for me is the blade to handle ratio. Usable edge rivals the Military.
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby MacLaren » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:51 pm

xceptnl wrote:I think it is totally worth the money and the discounted price makes it nearly impossible to resist. Despite what others have brought up, the hollow grind is superbly done and it makes the best use of the blade width to keep it thin behind the edge. I also love the F&F, blade steel is a performer that is easy to sharpen, flips easy, etc. Best part for me is the blade to handle ratio. Usable edge rivals the Military.
Absolutely agree!
I was gonna say, my current Southard cuts and slices llike a razor!
It will really,really surprise ya imo.
It's just a wonderful blade.

wheats
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby wheats » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:17 pm

My "last" purchase of the year was a K390 Urban back this summer. Since then, I've added a Lil Nilakka, PITS,Positron (returned), and just ordered Southard. To answer the question, absolutely you need one.
Persistence, Centofante3, PM2, Delica, Chaparral 2, Techno, Dice, Nilakka, DF2 Salt, DF2 G10, DF2, Delica Hap40, GB2, Sage1, Urban K390, Lil Nilakka, PITS, Southard, Native Fl Ti, Vrango, Native S110 Lw

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby MacLaren » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:27 pm

wheats wrote:My "last" purchase of the year was a K390 Urban back this summer. Since then, I've added a Lil Nilakka, PITS,Positron (returned), and just ordered Southard. To answer the question, absolutely you need one.
Those are some nice blades you've added. :)
If ya don't mind my asking, how well do you like the lil nilakka?
I have the original zero grind version ( Big Nilakka)and love it. Always thought about adding the little one...

User avatar
bh49
Member
Posts: 11464
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:37 pm
Location: former Constitution state

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby bh49 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:51 pm

It looks like I am in micro minority. I handled this knife on the knife show shortly after they came out. I didn't find any attraction in this blade. I really do not need another 4 mm thick blade.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian

wheats
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Postby wheats » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:54 pm

MacLaren wrote:
wheats wrote:My "last" purchase of the year was a K390 Urban back this summer. Since then, I've added a Lil Nilakka, PITS,Positron (returned), and just ordered Southard. To answer the question, absolutely you need one.
Those are some nice blades you've added. :)
If ya don't mind my asking, how well do you like the lil nilakka?uu
I have the original zero grind version ( Big Nilakka)and love it. Always thought about adding the little one...

Absolutely love it. It is far from a hard user though. As a collectible or light office work, it's a great piece.
Persistence, Centofante3, PM2, Delica, Chaparral 2, Techno, Dice, Nilakka, DF2 Salt, DF2 G10, DF2, Delica Hap40, GB2, Sage1, Urban K390, Lil Nilakka, PITS, Southard, Native Fl Ti, Vrango, Native S110 Lw


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Enactive, eRoc, gbcaffee, Google [Bot], Mushroom, QUICKSILVER, The Meat man and 23 guests