Need opinion on a Christmas gift for a young lady

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
calebj06

Need opinion on a Christmas gift for a young lady

Post by calebj06 »

Hey everyone. Long time no see. Sorry I’ve been away for a while as life has gotten busy and my current knife selection serves me well so I have not been in the market.

But now the need has arose again.

Mt sister is 21 and recently got a new job. She is a tiny little thing and is working alone some times at a boutique clothing store. What worries us is that it’s right next to a fairly rough bar.

Many member of our family are CCW holders and carry often but it just doesn’t fit here personality well. I originally thought about buying her the CCW class for Christmas but then it lead me to thinking about a good self defense knife.

So I need your help. Something for a very small young lady. She dresses very modest with dresses and skirts but many times without pockets so there is that.

I’m thinking probably purse carry for her most of the time.

And as usual she’s a girly girl so something pink or blue or.......????

Help me out folks. What should I look at?

I asked my wife her opinions. She said nothing smaller than my chaparral and nothing bigger than my native 5. Dragonfly is just too small to feel comfortable with. Parra is too big for her hands.

Thanks
Caleb.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Need opinion on a Christmas gift for a young lady

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My wife carries a pink Native5 and likes it. I wouldn't want to go any smaller for self defense.

That said, I remind my wife once in a while that if she is concerned for her safety that the pepper spay on her keys is her best option. Spray and run.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'd get her a Chaparral for everyday use and pepper spray for defense.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have to agree with BFK that pepper spray is probably the best solution. Without proper training I don't think a knife for SD is a good idea. I always have one on me but it would be a last resort before I'd ever pull one out to defend myself.

If you're determined to give her a knife for SD then I'd look at something in the Delica line. Lots of different options available there. The blue Lil' Matriarch that Bento Box sells looks pretty wicked.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:My wife carries a pink Native5 and likes it. I wouldn't want to go any smaller for self defense.

That said, I remind my wife once in a while that if she is concerned for her safety that the pepper spay on her keys is her best option. Spray and run.
+1 on the pepper spray for SD. For the past few years, each Christmas, I've been buying my sister and mother a small bottle of pepper spray for their keys or purse.

Also, you can find Native 5 in pink FRN or even a purple or blue Delica if you want to get her a knife to carry. There is also a new Pink/purple 'zome' FRN Delica available that she may like.
-Nick :bug-red
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Tatanka. Make her a nice leather sheath for strapping to her thigh. If nothing else, any wrong doers would be really impressed and likely leave her alone.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Chaparral lightweight. wire clip is very women's clothes friendly.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Holland

Post by Holland »

I highly highly doubt she would be able to defend herself with a knife against a full grown man. Pepper spray is the answer
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
calebj06

Post by calebj06 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Chaparral lightweight. wire clip is very women's clothes friendly.

Well I can see I’ve been gone for a while!!!! THEY FINALLY DID IT!!!!

Ugh. This is gonna cost me. Luckily my wife likes my chappy so if I buy the new one it can be her’s until I can pry it away from her.

I am leaning towards the chappy with a cool colored lanyard for my sis. Either that or the zome delica.

As far as her defending her self with a knife.....your probably right. But it still makes me feel better that she has it on her. Some crazy walks in the shop while she is alone and she’s behind the counter at least she can put a hand on it in her purse. The pepper spray is a good idea too.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

calebj06 wrote:Parra is too big for her hands.
No, it's not. Small hands doesn't mean you can't hold something the size of a PM2. I assure you, even a 5 year old can wrap their hands around every product Spyderco sells. You'll note that full sized folders are generally dwarfed by kitchen knives which tiny women have been using for centuries.
Holland wrote:I highly highly doubt she would be able to defend herself with a knife against a full grown man. Pepper spray is the answer
Generally speaking I don't think the size of the person is the important part in this type of situation. Having the presence of mind to draw the knife and do something with it is by far the most important factor.

I think while a knife certainly can be used effectively against humans the person in question may benefit more from a general self defense class than just putting a knife in her purse. "Software not hardware" is a common saying and I think it has a lot of merit.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Recommend a self defense class for a gift; seems like you're set on getting her a knife for her purse = show her some models to handle and let her pick one out. Can of Wasp spray has a pretty good reach and will mess with an attacker...
eddiebob

Post by eddiebob »

My thought is pepper spray as well. However, my twin daughters live in Texas and they both wanted a knife to carry. I bought them automatics and they love them. PM me and I will send a link. Ed
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hi Calebj06,

The native... I love the native as a utility knife, one of my favorites (I own 3)... I wouldn't recommend it for self defense, it just doesn't feel as right in the hand for SD as some of Spyderco's other knives (to me anyways). The Delica is a good choice, it is a small yet capable SD knife and they sell a trainer if she eventually wants to get serious about learning how to use it and practice with it.

If she's interested in instructionals, check out the Stay Safe Media website and video series. I really like the way the techniques in the videos are distilled down to give you the minimum you need accomplish them first, and then expanding on them and upping the complexity and difficulty from there. You can tell a lot of thought went into it. I think it's good for beginners and non-beginners alike.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
calebj06

Post by calebj06 »

So after some more research today I’m think more along the lines of an assisted opener. Something like the Kershaw Leek. (I know I know. Spyderco forum). Something that is a little easier for her to open quickly. As well as getting her some pepper spray on her key chain and under the desk at work.

My only concern with the leek is that it’s slick in the hand being all metal. I pulled out my scallion tonight and let my wife play with it. She loves the fast easy open (she struggles with the Spyderco being quick) but she said the scallion was too small and hard to hold on too.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

If you're looking for a self defense knife, why not a knife designed for that specific purpose? My recommendation would be a serrated ARK.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I agree with Spydiegirl. I think the Chaparral LW is a lot more likely to get carried and used. Women do not have real pockets in their very tight clothing. The Chaparral is nearly as small as a Dragonfly 2 but the blade is closer to the Native 5 in length.

The first option should be pepper spray, however, of a good brand.

Edit: I just realized I hit 4000 posts with this one. Maybe I need a hobby :p
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cELLiBAIt

Post by cELLiBAIt »

If the lucky lady likes the colour yellow then maybe a SE Dragonfly 2 Salt?

And... some range time with an FN Five-seveN ;)
calebj06

Post by calebj06 »

cELLiBAIt wrote:If the lucky lady likes the colour yellow then maybe a SE Dragonfly 2 Salt?

And... some range time with an FN Five-seveN ;)

Handed her my g19 with a red dot on thanksgiving. First 8 shots were center flapper on my steel torso target from 15 yards. I’d say she can handle her self with a pistol. It’s just that she wouldn’t carry daily so I’m looking at other options.
calebj06

Post by calebj06 »

dsvirsky wrote:If you're looking for a self defense knife, why not a knife designed for that specific purpose? My recommendation would be a serrated ARK.
This has my interest. Wondering how it would do in a purse or something. She hates wearing things around her neck.